Setting Up Scanner Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdgjedde

To start, if this has already been posted in some form, I apologize. It seemed better to start over with a new topic on this particular issue.

I am attempting to record audio from my scanner using the free Scanner Recorder program. I am using a standard RadioShack PRO-164. For the audio cable I am using a standard cable of the type used to connect an audio player's headphone jack to a stereo's audio input jack. I have plugged it in to the Microphone jack on my laptop, and identified it as a "Line In device." It is connected to the scanner through the headphone jack.

When I open Scanner Recorder, I do the "Open" procedure, name the recording file, and punch record. I get one of two results: loud buzzing with extremely faint recorded audio in the background, or a file 1 KB in size which will not play. The audio and squelch on the scanner are set appropriately for listening; I am unsure what to use for the squelch setting within Scanner Recorder. Nor do I know the bit settings, or much else.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
If you are using a mic input there's a chance that you have mic gain activated and may not be aware of it. Check in your audio recording settings. Depending on the type of sound card and the operating system the wording will vary, but it will likely be a check box that needs to either be checked to attenuate the input or unchecked to turn of mic gain.

The hum could be related or could be a separate problem referred to as a "ground loop". A search here using that phrase will provide a lot of answers to that issue, but I'd cure problem A first and see if problem B remains.

Good luck!

jackj

According to what you have posted, you are using the "Mic Input" on the computer and then telling the computer that it is the "Line Input". They are two different things. Mic Input is for very low signal levels like those supplied by a microphone. Line input is used for a "Line Level" input which is a high signal level. Your sound card should have two inputs, mic and line, move the input to the line jack and most of your problems should be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.