Setting up SDS100 for Mobile GPS Use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So setting up a mobile setup.
Wish they made a remote head like they used to. Would love to be able to fit my SDS200 or even a remote head for the BTC885.

So with this in mind going with SDS100 with GPS bucket attached.

My questions are:
- When hooked to GPS understand the GPS logo should show to acknowledge connection/link. Then I am guessing I turn on the Pre-Set Scan list and adjust the RANGE to 0.0 so that I get things from the towers as I drive. As I leave Texas and go into Oklahoma it connects to the appropriate tower and autoloads frequencies based on my Services which I would choose: Police (or is it Law) and Law TAC.

- Want a low profile non external antenna from the car - have an old suction cup model for along the dash and a small stick one for the dash that connects via BNC (know I would need a BNC to SMC adapter). Or should I just use like the stock antenna or Remtronix.
Most of what I will listen to is 800Mhz. Trunk...some P25.

Any other suggestions or things to point out? Thanks..
Anyone else doing this...thoughts?

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
That's a Pro-Clip dash mount with RAM Ball to RAM finger mount holding the SDS100. Right angle USB, right angle SMA connector attached to straight SMA ended dipole antenna attached to windshield at margin of A-frame. My GPS is integrated, however, you can make a streamlined GPS cable (search), and route cable similar to hide behind the mount and then dive into the dash seams to keep hidden, and route to GPS puck placement area under/on dash... pushed to periphery anywhere that is not obvious. I made a headrest speaker mount to position audio output at my head level out of angle "iron" ( 3/4" aluminum from Lowes, spray painted black) with holes drilled to allow headrest post pass through. This eliminates need for amplifying output in my set-up. Scan full DB with range set to zero for starters and select for desired services. You can add FLs if needed/wanted using location control... if you are tracking this far then next step might be using rectangles versus circles for location based geography per needs.

-cognetic

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
I have that antenna but with BNC - now I need to find one like yours with SMA. Yes will check proclip site - and Ram Mounts. I use a proclip mount now for my cell phone below. Thanks for all your info.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
I have that antenna but with BNC - now I need to find one like yours with SMA. Yes will check proclip site - and Ram Mounts. I use a proclip mount now for my cell phone below. Thanks for all your info.
I've found them on ebay and amazon. Usually buy 2-3 at a time for $12-18 a piece. Occasionally, I've seen them with right angle SMA already installed, as well.

-cognetic

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
S
My questions are:
- When hooked to GPS understand the GPS logo should show to acknowledge connection/link. Then I am guessing I turn on the Pre-Set Scan list and adjust the RANGE to 0.0 so that I get things from the towers as I drive. As I leave Texas and go into Oklahoma it connects to the appropriate tower and autoloads frequencies based on my Services which I would choose: Police (or is it Law) and Law TAC.

If by "Pre-set Scan List" you mean the "Full Database", yes. If you mean "Favorites List(s)" you have created, you have to be sure Location Control for the Favorites List(s) is set to On.

As far as turning on/off "stuff" stuff based on where you are, yes that is correct.

The one thing that will be subject to opinion (and there are many) is the Range value. Some folks like the 0.0 value, some like a little higher. In a nutshell, increasing Range means the scanner is reaching out a little more to attempt to receive something. For a very rough example, 0.0 would mean your scanner starts attempting to receive Oklahoma stuff right as you cross the state line and it turns off the Texas stuff at the state line. If you were to choose 5.0, the scanner will attempt to receive Oklahoma stuff 5.0 miles before getting to the state line. The tradeoff is that you would continue to receive Texas stuff, 5.0 miles into Oklahoma.

Best thing is to experiment and see what best suits your desires.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just for clarification, remember that the 'actual' range used by the scanner with a GPS is the sum of the range set on the scanner plus the range of a system.If the range of a given system in the database is, say, 20 miles, even if your range on the scanner is set as zero, that system would be enabled whenever you were within 20 miles of it's location. If the range on your scanner was set as 10 miles, that same system would be enabled when you were within 30 miles. A more complete explanation, along with some graphic examples, can be found here:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hey #Ofd8801 and #hiegtx great points on the range...maybe 5 will be better than 0. Yes I mean Full Database...sorry...thanks for clarify.

Still wish they had a control head for an SDS200 but that's ok think this will work well.
Thanks for all the input!!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I enter each "County" and "City" in Google maps, (it will actually show the outline of the limits of the city or county you input) and, based on the shape of the limits of those, I choose "Rectangle" or "Circle" and usually set the centerpoint, or the rectangle "top left" and "bottom right" range so it "locks in" or "Locks out" at about 2-4 miles outside of the city or county I want to monitor, with the scanner "range" set to zero.

The "Database" ranges are pretty much all over the place. I custom all of mine, even though it takes a while to do each, once you get all you want in, it makes for very enjoyable scanning while on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.