Setting up Springfield PD P25 1 Freq System X96XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this is common knowledge,or been figured out.

Springfield MA recently switched to P25 for the 901-Dispatch,902-Records and 903-Alternate channels.

On the X96XTs if the freq is loaded in conventional mode with the NAC set all the display will read is
NFM and NAC. But no RIDs.

I wanted to see the RIDs that were on the system.

So I set up the system as a 1 freq trunked system.
I entered each freq as its own site.
tagged each site as 901-902-903.
Set it to ID Search mode.
Turned OFF CC only.

Presto...RIDs..it scans each site as if it was a conv channel.And then displays the RID for mobiles and dispatch..

Example,
901 Dispatch is i2, 902 Records is i8004

The TG comes up as 1 for 901 & 902.

Ive not caught any others as of yet,Its been programed for only 20 min or so now.But its working great.

Again,If this is commonly known,my bad. But since SPD is now on P25 hopefully this helps folks get it loaded and working a lil better.

Last edited:

KB1UAM

On a side note don't forget that Springfield fire is in the process of switching to digital also with NAC Codeof 413.

On a side note don't forget that Springfield fire is in the process of switching to digital also with NAC Codeof 413.

Roger that!..Set up the 2 P25 freqs a couple hours ago....Loving the ability to figure out users by following the ID #s...

Just wish there was a way to set individual NACs for each site so I could have them all on the same quick key.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Springfield FD went digital first 6 or 7 weeks ago.

No reason you can't put them on the same SQK. I run all my Fed single channel trunked stuff on a single SQK, 60 or so systems. I have a separate SQK for non Fed as well. I just let it run and log.

Springfield FD RIDs are all over the place. Some consecutive numbers with the portables but like they just picked the mobiles from one big pile.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
I don't set a NAC, but I set it for search. If there is more than one department you can hear on a certain freq, you can use the NAC to separate out the data in your logs.
Since the software I use (ProScan) logs only one RID per conversation, I tapped one of my 996XT's and run software decoding at the same time.

chris

Gotcha!
Ive been trying to figure out the set up for just that..
Ill do some reprogramming tomorrow and see what the
lil squak boxes spit out!

Thank You.
Horseman,Numero Quattro!

garys

Premium Subscriber
they are conventional chs not trunk SPFLD pd 901 is just there ch name for dispatch ch 460.1xxxxx and so on ch 903 is just ch 3.

With the later Uniden scanners XT and HP series, conventional P25 channels can be set up as single channel trunk systems. The benefit of that is that you can then see unit IDs, if that interests you.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
With the later Uniden scanners XT and HP series, conventional P25 channels can be set up as single channel trunk systems. The benefit of that is that you can then see unit IDs, if that interests you.

The other benefit is if there is any encrypted transmissions, the radio will not stop on the conventional frequency and "tie up" the radio. It acts as though it was a trunked system, hence continues to scan through any encrypted transmissions. I know this does not apply to Springfield but it does on many other conventional frequencies that encrypt on occasion.

Bob

cg

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, unfortunately you cannot control what happens on encrypted channels/talkgroups. If you are looking to compare radio IDs from various channels to try to ID the users, it is helpful to have the scanner hold on secure traffic, even if you can't actually monitor the conversation. I realize the Uniden scanners are aimed at the masses and not the high end user but it gets frustrating.

chris

Thats why I love the PSR800,
It will stop on the ENC channels
and display the IDs..Been thinking
of logging them to see how much
cross use there is..

Unknown to me,Quiet lil Springfield
is a fairly busy city. Far more violence
than I would have expected. So Im
sure detectives and narco is as active
as patrol.

Im wondering if the MSP has a link,or
maybe their own portables,Or if they
rely on dispatch and the in car scanners
to monitor the incidents that are developing

garys

Premium Subscriber
Springfield isn't really a quiet little town, it's very busy. The criminal influence starts out in New York City, comes up through Hartford, and into Springfield. ANY city of any size that is on an interstate has organized (and disorganized) crime.

Detectives don't usually use the radio in the same was as patrol officers. A lot of what they do is done on cell phones. At one time that stuff was done on Nextel, but I don't think that anyone, including Sprint, has come out with a successful replacement technology for that.

MSP cruisers have scanners installed and some troopers may have portable radios on the local PD frequencies. I know at one time some troopers assigned in the Brockton area could talk directly to BPD.

Of course, now with all of the interop channels, it's much easier to do than it used to be.

Thats why I love the PSR800,
It will stop on the ENC channels
and display the IDs..Been thinking
of logging them to see how much
cross use there is..

Unknown to me,Quiet lil Springfield
is a fairly busy city. Far more violence
than I would have expected. So Im
sure detectives and narco is as active
as patrol.

Im wondering if the MSP has a link,or
maybe their own portables,Or if they
rely on dispatch and the in car scanners
to monitor the incidents that are developing

ecps92

Generally, either the City/Town will issue a few handhelds to the Troopers working in-town, also some Troopers have been known to invest in their own portables (UHF) for interop, after receiving written permission from the City/Town

Springfield isn't really a quiet little town, it's very busy. The criminal influence starts out in New York City, comes up through Hartford, and into Springfield. ANY city of any size that is on an interstate has organized (and disorganized) crime.

Detectives don't usually use the radio in the same was as patrol officers. A lot of what they do is done on cell phones. At one time that stuff was done on Nextel, but I don't think that anyone, including Sprint, has come out with a successful replacement technology for that.

MSP cruisers have scanners installed and some troopers may have portable radios on the local PD frequencies. I know at one time some troopers assigned in the Brockton area could talk directly to BPD.

Of course, now with all of the interop channels, it's much easier to do than it used to be.

maggieo

Premium Subscriber
Hi Folks, I live near springfield and am slow on the draw figuring out they moved to the Digital. I have the Uniden 436 Scanner. I see some of you are entering these different than others and I'm not sure how best to do it. Should I take what I get from the RRDB? If I want to make a trunk channel for each of the "old" freq's, which I know well - by number, name and description - and do I do this all in the Sentinel Software or on the scanner itself? Any pointers are much appreciated. I am looking for the 901 and 903.. I actually usually only monitor 903. Since I don't live there, and if you have 901, your scanner may never really scan, there is so much activity - so really, I want the ability to listen to 901, but I rarely do - and I haven't listened to 902 in ages, but I am very much missing what I used to get on 903. There's another spfld detective channel that either went digital or encrypted some years ago - the freq is 460.300, if anyone has any answers on that. Thanks very, very much.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused by what you mean by making a trunk channel of the old frequencies. You can't do that with analog channels, only the P25 channels. You have to set each of those up as a different single channel trunk system. It should be set up as a Single Channel P25 system.

Hi Folks, I live near springfield and am slow on the draw figuring out they moved to the Digital. I have the Uniden 436 Scanner. I see some of you are entering these different than others and I'm not sure how best to do it. Should I take what I get from the RRDB? If I want to make a trunk channel for each of the "old" freq's, which I know well - by number, name and description - and do I do this all in the Sentinel Software or on the scanner itself? Any pointers are much appreciated. I am looking for the 901 and 903.. I actually usually only monitor 903. Since I don't live there, and if you have 901, your scanner may never really scan, there is so much activity - so really, I want the ability to listen to 901, but I rarely do - and I haven't listened to 902 in ages, but I am very much missing what I used to get on 903. There's another spfld detective channel that either went digital or encrypted some years ago - the freq is 460.300, if anyone has any answers on that. Thanks very, very much.

maggieo

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gary and thanks. I will do that now.. I guess I will do it in the Sentinel Software - if I can! Someone else posted about leaving "search on" - something I haven't done yet - does that search for other channels? The only "Search" I've ever known is the one to search for TGID's in a trunked system. (and I misspoke the way I described trying to do what FourthHorseman was doing. Also - what's an RID? (never mind what's a NAC?!) - sorry. I am really not good at all of the "new" scanner stuff - I have lived and loved for years my 245XLT with a bunch of conventional freq's as well as a few trunked systems for around me in MA - which pretty much all of the State Police is Trunked - and some is on the P25, which is why I got the 436, although, right now - for MSP, everything (out west anyway) that's on the P25 is on the old Trunked system too - however - now with Springfield moving over, I totally "need" the 436.. Just have to learn better how to use it. Several guys have helped me out a lot, as well as these forums - when they aren't annoyed at my lack of knowledge.. so - thank you.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know that you need to leave search on. There is an option to search for individual unit IDs, but that's a setting in Display Options and not per system.

RID is Radio ID, individual radio IDs. The Uniden scanners will show those for trunking systems, which is why some people set up individual P25 channels, like Springfield, as Single Channel Trunk Systems. If you're not interested in RIDs, there isn't any benefit to doing that.

NAC is Network Access Code. It's like PL or DPL for analog radios channels. The benefit for scanners is that it might cut down on interference.

Eventually, the MSP will move everyone in Western MA to the P25 system. That will happens when the build out is complete and I have no idea when that will be.

Hi Gary and thanks. I will do that now.. I guess I will do it in the Sentinel Software - if I can! Someone else posted about leaving "search on" - something I haven't done yet - does that search for other channels? The only "Search" I've ever known is the one to search for TGID's in a trunked system. (and I misspoke the way I described trying to do what FourthHorseman was doing. Also - what's an RID? (never mind what's a NAC?!) - sorry. I am really not good at all of the "new" scanner stuff - I have lived and loved for years my 245XLT with a bunch of conventional freq's as well as a few trunked systems for around me in MA - which pretty much all of the State Police is Trunked - and some is on the P25, which is why I got the 436, although, right now - for MSP, everything (out west anyway) that's on the P25 is on the old Trunked system too - however - now with Springfield moving over, I totally "need" the 436.. Just have to learn better how to use it. Several guys have helped me out a lot, as well as these forums - when they aren't annoyed at my lack of knowledge.. so - thank you.

maggieo

Premium Subscriber
Okay - didn't take me long to get lost. In Favorites, I can add a P25 Trunk or a P25 one channel - but how/where do I put the freq in there? I downloaded the newest RRDB but it still shows the freq I want, for ex 460.500 as a conventional. Thanks.

garys

Premium Subscriber
You got me kiddo. This is why I use ARC536 for creating and editing Favorite Lists, Systems, and so on. I found Sentinel almost unusable. It's so cumbersome to do what should be simple things for me.

Looking at the database, the latest version shows 901, 902, 903, as being P25 conventional with the correct NAC. Unless you really want to set up a single channel trunk, you can just download the latest database update from the server and be all set to go.

Okay - didn't take me long to get lost. In Favorites, I can add a P25 Trunk or a P25 one channel - but how/where do I put the freq in there? I downloaded the newest RRDB but it still shows the freq I want, for ex 460.500 as a conventional. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.