Setting Up The FTP on the SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Can someone explain in detail or point me in the right direction, on how to setup and use the FTP for the SDS200?
Thanks!

I tried searching the forum, and no luck. And tried the Easy to Read Manual as well. And wasn't able to find it.
Maybe I missed it, if so I apologize.

Thanks for the help!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain in detail or point me in the right direction, on how to setup and use the FTP for the SDS200?
Thanks!

I tried searching the forum, and no luck. And tried the Easy to Read Manual as well. And wasn't able to find it.
Maybe I missed it, if so I apologize.

Thanks for the help!

Go to the scanner menu Settings->LAN Settings->Set FTP Server. Use different User Names for the Read Only and Writable accounts.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thanks!

I was able to log in to the read account, but wasnt able to transfer.

So I tried setting up the write account, and it says:
Authentication failed.
Connection failed.
Not logged in.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I forgot to add that both the read & write usernames and passwords are BOTH DIFFERENT.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I had an old fart moment! I was using an actual FTP client. And was able to read from the sds200. And not able to write.

So then it occurred to me, to use Proscan to do it. And now it works both read and write, but ONLY for editing the favorite lists.

Note: My original goal and still is. And maybe can someone explain to me how.
I am trying to ftp into the sds200, so I can transfer the audio files to the PC via the FTP.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
After you enabled FTP mode via the commands, did you try using Windows Explorer to FTP in and look around?

EDIT: I should add that if you already have ProScan, why not have it record and save the wear and tear on your scanner's SD card? It makes it much easier to control too.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I had an old fart moment! I was using an actual FTP client. And was able to read from the sds200. And not able to write.

So then it occurred to me, to use Proscan to do it. And now it works both read and write, but ONLY for editing the favorite lists.

Note: My original goal and still is. And maybe can someone explain to me how.
I am trying to ftp into the sds200, so I can transfer the audio files to the PC via the FTP.

Send a GFM,UNIDEN protocol command to the scanner with ProScan before using your FTP Client.
After you're done, send a EFM,UNIDEN command.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thanks! I was just going to respond and say I found a different thread that you posted in, giving those instructions :)

I was able to put it into FTP mode. And was able to open the ftp client and see the scanner files.
But when I go to transfer them, I now get this error:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed.

I know this is operator error on my end. I just can't seem to figure it out, LOL.

I want to take a second and thank Bob and everyone on here for having the patience and responding. Thank You!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I was just going to respond and say I found a different thread that you posted in, giving those instructions :)

I was able to put it into FTP mode. And was able to open the ftp client and see the scanner files.
But when I go to transfer them, I now get this error:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed.

I know this is operator error on my end. I just can't seem to figure it out, LOL.

I want to take a second and thank Bob and everyone on here for having the patience and responding. Thank You!
[deleted]

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Using FileZilla. I'm able to download recordings using the Read Only account. The scanner shouldn't be in FTP mode.

belvdr

I still don't know you would go through all this effort when ProScan is at your disposal and can record it directly on the PC.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I can't keep a laptop or pc running 24/7, otherwise I would go that route.

Edit: I would love that route, because it would be the easiest. I agree! :)

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
One thing I notice in comparing Proscan to Uniden's recording is Umit ID's seem to be more accurate (p25PH1 system). Both will have errors or missing UID's, but Uniden's built-in is a little better. There also are more data info. when using the Wav Player program.

Don't get me wrong, I use both. I often run a scanner 24/7 just for UID capture. I first used an HP1 but now will run an SDS100 just for this using the Uniden built-in.

I also run a 536 and a 200 feeding Proscan

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Here is my FTP procedure:

Make sure your SDS200 has a static IP address (or you know what it is)
1. On your PC, go to the command prompt
2. Type ftp
3. Type open x.x.x.x (the IP address of the scanner)
4. Login is anonymous, no password needed
5. type prompt (this will get all files in a folder without asking for each one)
6. Type cd audio/user_rec
7. Type dir to see the audio folder names
8. Type cd [the folder name that contains the audio files that you want]
9. type mget *.wav

FTP will then download all wav files in the folder to your users/[username] folder
Be aware that each transmission is a separate file

When using file explorer to see the wav files, the system is in the "contributing artists" column, the department is in the "genre" column and the channel is in the "title" column

Last edited:

belvdr

Based on @toad99's answer, I decided to search for a PowerShell script to do this. Untested, but I think it should work:

** Borrowed and revised from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19059394/powershell-connect-to-ftp-server-and-get-files

Code:
Set-Location "E:\Path\To\Download\Directory"
$ftp = "ftp://<IP OF SDS>/" 
$user = "anonymous" 
$pass = "user@host.com"
$SetType = "bin"  
$ftpDir = Get-ChildItem 'audio/user_rec' -recurse
$webclient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient 
$webclient.Credentials = New-Object System.Net.NetworkCredential($user,$pass)

foreach($item in $ftpDir){ 
    $uri = New-Object System.Uri($ftp+$item.Name) 
    $webclient.DownloadFile($uri,$item.FullName)
}

Change the first two lines to where you want the downloaded files placed and the IP of your SDS.

You could save this as a file. For example, C:\Scripts\DownloadSDSAudio.ps1. Next time, just run:

powershell -command C:\Scripts\DownloadSDSAudio.ps1

You could also schedule this as a task to download automatically using Task Scheduler.

Status
Not open for further replies.