• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setting up to Broadcast from UV-82c

Status
Not open for further replies.

tischa01

I am looking to start broadcasting and was looking at using UV-82c to do this. I was wondering if there was a cable that I can connect the radio to my audio card. Can I plug directly into the 2.5 or 3.5mm jack directly or is there a special cable needed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Broadcasting what?

You'll probably have to make your own cable. You'll need to be able to make the proper connection to key the radio, as well as attenuate the line- or speaker-level signal down to mic level so you don't fry the audio input.

Don't try this at home unless you know your way around a schematic and are handy with a soldering iron.

12dbsinad

If you would go into a little more detail you would receive better advise. Are you trying to rebroadcast scanner audio? There is more to know then just buying a UV-82 and start transmitting.

tischa01

I would be broadcasting the audio online as a scanner feed. I would only need an audio out to connect to my computer.

KD8DVR

Uh.

You know this is likely illegal? You know to transmit on this radio, you need a license? What frequencies do you want to use?

What are in the radio from the factory, are test frequencies. Using them would interfere with licensed users on those frequencies.

Users would re program them to what they are licensed to operate on.

There are legal ways to do what you want to do.

This thread could go wrong in so many ways.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

12dbsinad

Uh.

You know this is likely illegal? You know to transmit on this radio, you need a license? What frequencies do you want to use?

What are in the radio from the factory, are test frequencies. Using them would interfere with licensed users on those frequencies.

Users would re program them to what they are licensed to operate on.

There are legal ways to do what you want to do.

This thread could go wrong in so many ways.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

He stated he wants to feed audio to a computer as a "scanner", not transmit. His original post was kind of vague.

With that being said, he should be able to so this from the accessory connector.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you are only monitoring a few channels, like less than 10, using a Baofeng as a scanner is a really dumb idea.

12dbsinad

Unless you are only monitoring a few channels, like less than 10, using a Baofeng as a scanner is a really dumb idea.

I'll add to this, since it sounds like he doesn't own one. It is because it scans PAINFULLY SLOW, compared to a regular scanner. If you are just concerned about one, or a few channels, they work OK.

tischa01

I have had a UV-82C before and was looking to use them for security operations at special events instead of buying a bunch more XPR-3500 which we are using. Somehow we ended up going with all XPR-3500 radios for security operations however we only use UHF. When we work event a lot of times we are working closely with local Law Enforcement and need to talk to them on VHF. Most of the time they give us a radio to use and one of my officers are carrying 2 radios. Other times during large events they can not spare a radio for us to use and we end up going without since most officers do not want to carry 2 radios. We have worked on UTac Channels to communicate better with Law Enforcement Dispatch but we still are not able to hear other traffic that could assist in doing the job better
So here was my Idea. I have looked at Using VOIP systems to broadcast scanner frequencies online to use with Zello or just to broadcast for everyone to hear and also retransmit on a 2nd UHF channel (That I have a license for) for officers in the field to be able to hear and respond to. The reason I want it online is I have a License to transmit on my UHF frequencies anywhere in the US and have Security Operations in 2 different parts of the state with only 1 Dispatch Center. So would like to be able to do more dispatch via radio than with a VOIP system and having dispatch and officers be able to here the right traffic regardless of where they are at.

The reason I thought about the UV-82C was it was cheap and I could use it as "Scanner" to listen and broadcast the feed online as well as use for operations if needed to be since it is FCC Compliant with a business license and not a HAM.

I was looking to have 1 computer dedicated to Radios and connect several UV-82 each with a different channel on them and broadcast each channel separately.

Hope this give you some more info on what I'm trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.