Yaesu: Setting up YAESU FT5DR - recorded Audio not saving to LOG

DWX77

Hello radioreference,

I'm new to the community having gotten into the hobby within the last year or so. I've recently begun programming my FT5DR and thought I had it all done, but it seems when I record audio (from a receiving frequency) no file is being created in LOG when I go in there to play it back. I've updated the firmware to 1.1, formatted the SD card, installed ADMS-14 on a computer and saved that on to the card and then read that info the back to the handheld. (As per instruction, I did write to SD card before using ADMS). I saw in ADMS where I can set up all the memory banks etc, but I didn't see any specific instruction as to setting up folders where audio files save to so I assumed that was already in place.

When i go to LOG, I do see Voice/Picture/Etc but there is nothing in the folder. I've watched a bunch of vids which show that when you click on the Voice folder after recording some audio, you should see the audio file you created, but when I click on LOG after a recording, it doesn't take me into a folder... it takes me back to the menu where in the top right corner (beneath the battery bar) I'll see 004 (or 001 depending which channel I was recording) with the middle zero flashing.

Anyone with some experience programming these handhelds know what I'm missing?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I had not used this feature before but tried it on seeing your question. I followed the instructions on page 56 of the manual and it worked fine, Did you press RECSTOP when you were done? This might be necessary, Also did you set up recording on Band A or B or both? See instructions on page 57. As was suggested the card may not be formatted correctly or you may have a bad card. Did you use correct size card? Does the SD show on the display? The radio uses up to 32Mb cards maximum. Too large a card will not work. By the way RT Systems software is superior to Yaesu's ADMS software.

DWX77

To answer some questions, the card is a microSD card (16 GB) which shows in the display on the handheld. I formatted it in the FT5DR. Then I read from the YAESU to card, before using ADMS, as per instruction in the manual. I did the set up for recording A & B from page 57 as you mentioned. And yeah, I recorded, stopped recording, and then went to LOG...and there's no saved files there.

The card is being used successfully with ADMS where I programmed a few channel slots so it's storing information. I've also saved a channel to the card from the FT5DR, which then displayed on computer when I looked at the card through ADMS.

Is there a step I've skipped somewhere where I have to tell the FT5DR where to save the voice file or something? Or some setting where I've locked the ability to save to disc, perhaps? I just don't see what I've missed and every instruction video I see just shows people simply recording/stopping and then viewing/playing it in LOG, but I dont know what the problem is.

DWX77

Additional clue: When I press LOG, instead of taking me a list of saved filed, it takes me back to the Menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX S.LIST etc) but everything is greyed out and the number 002 up by the frequency is flashing.

DWX77

I had not used this feature before but tried it on seeing your question. I followed the instructions on page 56 of the manual and it worked fine, Did you press RECSTOP when you were done? This might be necessary, Also did you set up recording on Band A or B or both? See instructions on page 57. As was suggested the card may not be formatted correctly or you may have a bad card. Did you use correct size card? Does the SD show on the display? The radio uses up to 32Mb cards maximum. Too large a card will not work. By the way RT Systems software is superior to Yaesu's ADMS software.
Just reading about this RT Systems software now. Do you use with a Mac?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I am unable to duplicate your results. When you press LOG you should see a drop down menu with VOICE, MESSAGE and PICT. I don't know what 002 means. Have you tried backing up the memory and then doing a reset of the entire radio?

RT Systems software only runs on Windows.

You don't have to tell the radio where to store the files.

Sorry I seem to be out of ideas.

DWX77

I am unable to duplicate your results. When you press LOG you should see a drop down menu with VOICE, MESSAGE and PICT. I don't know what 002 means. Have you tried backing up the memory and then doing a reset of the entire radio?

RT Systems software only runs on Windows.

You don't have to tell the radio where to store the files.

Sorry I seem to be out of ideas.
Well, thanks for looking in to it on your radio.

To be clear, when I click on log, I too see VOICE, MESSAGE and PICT too, but when I select them there's nothing in there. I did try a reset at once point, maybe I should try again.

As for RT systems, they've got a Mac version now, too. Just downloaded it. Not sure it will fix the issue but it does sound like the better option in general.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think using the RT Systems software will address your recording problem.

I just recorded a bit of audio with my FT5D and played it back with no issues.

To retrace some steps, if you follow the steps on page 57 under the header "Setting the Recording function", you can select which band will be recorded. If you've set it to record only the A or B band, are you actually on the corresponding band when you initiate recording? IOW, if you've set the radio to record the A band and you are trying to record audio from the B band, nothing will happen.

Additional clue: When I press LOG, instead of taking me a list of saved filed, it takes me back to the Menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX S.LIST etc) but everything is greyed out and the number 002 up by the frequency is flashing.
Ummm...that's weird. Tapping the "FWD" square would take you to the other menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX, S.LIST etc). Kinda sounds like the touch screen isn't calibrated correctly or you're not tapping "LOG" squarely. Try using a soft-tipped stylus instead of your finger.

DWX77

I don't think using the RT Systems software will address your recording problem.

I just recorded a bit of audio with my FT5D and played it back with no issues.

To retrace some steps, if you follow the steps on page 57 under the header "Setting the Recording function", you can select which band will be recorded. If you've set it to record only the A or B band, are you actually on the corresponding band when you initiate recording? IOW, if you've set the radio to record the A band and you are trying to record audio from the B band, nothing will happen.

Ummm...that's weird. Tapping the "FWD" square would take you to the other menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX, S.LIST etc). Kinda sounds like the touch screen isn't calibrated correctly or you're not tapping "LOG" squarely. Try using a soft-tipped stylus instead of your finger.

Sorry, I said that wrong... when I press LOG after recording a file, i see Voice/Message/Pic, but when I click that, instead of seeing a list of saved files ...it takes me back to the Menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX S.LIST etc) but everything is greyed out (except TXPWR and DG-ID).

I just ordered a different card cuz I'm thinking/hoping that the problem is the card I bought, which is an SD "Ultra". I've read here and there that you have to have older cards for the FT5DR. This Ultra is supposedly pretty quick, with a minimum transfer speed of 10MB/sec, so I'm hoping the min speed is the problem and that the handheld is trying to save to the card at 5 MB/sec, so the transfer is failing. That's all I can think of at this point.

k6cpo

Sorry, I said that wrong... when I press LOG after recording a file, i see Voice/Message/Pic, but when I click that, instead of seeing a list of saved files ...it takes me back to the Menu screen (MEMORY, BCN-TX S.LIST etc) but everything is greyed out (except TXPWR and DG-ID).

I just ordered a different card cuz I'm thinking/hoping that the problem is the card I bought, which is an SD "Ultra". I've read here and there that you have to have older cards for the FT5DR. This Ultra is supposedly pretty quick, with a minimum transfer speed of 10MB/sec, so I'm hoping the min speed is the problem and that the handheld is trying to save to the card at 5 MB/sec, so the transfer is failing. That's all I can think of at this point.
Did you make sure that VOICE was highlighted (in Orange) and then tap on the highlighted bar?