Yaesu: Settings for Yaesu different

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI7UYT

My Baofeng UV82HP is programmed and working fine. Trying to program my Yaesu VX6r similar to the Baofeng. Using Chirp I have printed out all the settings/properties of the Baofeng and then tried to copy to the Yaesu. The problem is Chirp does not give me the same options to enter properties (see attached):
8286082861Left is settings of Baofeng, right is settings for Yaesu. Help?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Whatever tone you select on the Yaesu is used for both receive and transmit, so there's no need for the ToneSql setting. The Yaesu does not have "cross tone mode". Whatever DCS code you select on the Yaesu is the same for both receive and transmit.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at VX-6 Commander. Free software, but you need a programming cable of course. Chirp is great for programming Baofengs etc, but get some real software for other radios.

KI7UYT

With the help of a friend, we got it done! Thanks to all the comments, support and help. Having the Baofeng UV82HP and the Yaesu VX-6r I have learned a lot. I am a native of Detroit and a believer of buying Made in USA and paying for quality whenever possible. But the Baofeng smokes the Yaesu in all categories. I know my Yaesu is made in Japan and the Baofeng in China (not my favorite place especially now). But the Baofeng has more features, can receive and transmit my wife's CERT frequency, is dadgum easier to program (with the Chirp software so many talk poorly about) has much greater battery life and only costs $25 versus around $250 for the Yaesu. Hell I can even program the screen color scheme! The Baofeng is what I will be keeping handy, using every day and in case of emergency and as cheap as they are I have 4 extras lying around just in case.....

majoco

Stirrer
Yes, but the Yaesu is a type certified radio to operate on the 2m and 70cm amateur bands while the Baoefeng is, well....

Just wait until the men in the raincoats and sunglasses bang on your door.....

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The CCR is a piece of junk compared to a name brand ham radio. Because you can illegally transmit on a CERT frequency is a poor excuse for using it. A good used commercial radio is a far better choice than any CCR, especially if you are going to use it on a non ham frequency. Chirp is a handy program, but for real radios, RT Systems or the manufacturer's CPS provide more reliable results.

KI7UYT

I don't know what is meant by CCR, unless you're talking about the old rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival, sorry. If I were immersed in radio full time I suspect I would share your opinions, but I am only interested in having the potential to communicate with others in the case of an emergency or disaster and what I have works very well for that, in fact I was able to buy a four pack of them. I would also think that having more people enter the field or radios by virtue of low cost units would be welcomed. More people are likely to get a cheap (as you put it) radio, get their license and then progress to higher quality units, don't you think.? My first car wasn't a new GMC truck it was a very used dodge, but now I have the newest top of the line GMC. Anyway, I don't care to argue I would prefer to learn and get along so thank you for the words of encouragement.

k6cpo

CCR means "Cheap Chinese Radio" and is the acronym the Baofeng haters have hung on any inexpensive radio coming from China. Personally, I don't like it because there are some very good radios coming out of China (Baofeng isn't' one of them) such as the AnyTone DMR radios.

About the only place you can legally use a Baofeng in the US is on the amateur bands. For the most part, they don't hold type certifications for any other service. (Type certification isn't needed in the amateur service.)

KI7UYT

Thanks for the explanation! So why doesn't our government, in this case the FCC, do something anything? If what you say is true, they (the FCC) should be doing something to either prevent the importation or make them compliant before allowing them to be imported. How silly of me to expect the government to do their jobs I guess....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
With regard to the use of CCRs on Part 90 frequencies, the FCC has done something. In September 2018, they issued this memo regarding the use of radios in Part 90 which can be programmed from the front panel (which includes many of the CCRs). Additionally, many CCRs have received FCC equipment authorization grants (aka, type acceptance), but that doesn't mean that the radios are being used in accordance with those grants. For example, some CCRs ship with front panel programming (FPP) disabled in order to comply with FCC rules, but the procedures for unlocking the FPP are widely known. Another example, some CCRs have FCC equipment authorizations for Part 90, but with oddball emission designators (bandwidth) that nobody actually uses or with much lower power than the 5 watts that everybody uses.

With regard to the use of CCRs on Part 97 (amateur radio) frequencies, those of us with Part 97 licenses are expected to know the rules and abide by them. Unfortunately, many amateur radio operators are not up to speed with the provisions of §97.307 of the amateur radio rules, specifically paragraph (e) which covers spurious emissions from transmitters operating between 30 and 225 MHz. I have tested many handheld radios at hamfests using the same procedure that the ARRL Labs uses. Just about every Baofeng I've tested exceeds the spurious emission limits in §97.307(e). I own one Baofeng UV5R that was sent to me about a year ago and it's clean with regard to spurious emissions. Every Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu handheld I've tested is also clean with regard to spurious emissions.

Inexpensive Chinese radios has been cussed and discussed in these forums, and others, ever since the first cheap Wouxun radios appeared at the Dayton Hamvention several years ago. The positives and negatives of these radios have been covered many times. I believe that the OP has the answers to his question, so we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.