• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setup for radio/workroom?

CVPI4Ever

My small FD has a "Communications Room." The room is approx. 48 sq ft. It has a Zetron system that's older than Jesus and it's been out of service for years. However, in that console, there are 2 base radios and a Uniden scanner. I was going to remove the Zetron console and put a small desk in there for doing reports on the computer, etc. However, I am at a loss on how to mount these radios. I would also have to find a place for a laptop that is connected to the county run board (the laptops sole purpose) that needs to stay open. My old FD had some sort of homemade vertical console. I found a metal box at my FT government job that would have worked but by the time it went through the bureaucracy (me notifying my boss, who notifies his boss, who notifies facilities, etc), they pitched it. Again, its 2 base radios, a scanner and a laptop. Anyone have any ideas? It can be something on a tabletop or I can mount it in the wall. Just at a total loss on this.

Also, is the Zetron system worth anything for us to put at auction or just take it to the scrapper? We have gone to 800 MHz digital a long time ago so I don't know if we needed a radio tech to go through this console?

TIA!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Also, is the Zetron system worth anything for us to put at auction or just take it to the scrapper? We have gone to 800 MHz digital a long time ago so I don't know if we needed a radio tech to go through this console?

Depends on what it is, how old it is, and what sort of shape it is in. We're still using an old 4048 console, and there's some market for spare parts. There's always small agencies that might still be running older equipment that may appreciate it. Challenge would be finding them and getting the equipment to them.

I e-wasted our old Motorola Centracom system. Just wasn't worth the effort to do anything else with it. Old and heavy and no one wanted it bad enough to come pick it up. Plus, all those old leaky capacitors.

kb4mdz

My small FD has a "Communications Room." The room is approx. 48 sq ft. It has a Zetron system that's older than Jesus and it's been out of service for years. However, in that console, there are 2 base radios and a Uniden scanner. I was going to remove the Zetron console and put a small desk in there for doing reports on the computer, etc. However, I am at a loss on how to mount these radios. I would also have to find a place for a laptop that is connected to the county run board (the laptops sole purpose) that needs to stay open. My old FD had some sort of homemade vertical console. I found a metal box at my FT government job that would have worked but by the time it went through the bureaucracy (me notifying my boss, who notifies his boss, who notifies facilities, etc), they pitched it. Again, its 2 base radios, a scanner and a laptop. Anyone have any ideas? It can be something on a tabletop or I can mount it in the wall. Just at a total loss on this.

TIA!
Mmm, kinda depends on what Zetron system it is.

This is a simple 4-line tone remote, can control 4 separate radios. Has some other interesting features. Yes, can be paralleled with other 284 remotes.

1717791697332.png

This is a Model 4010, Up to 12 radio channels, and up to 2 telephone lines.

1717792003312.png

4010 was (still is? I don't know) as a rack mount panel of that 10-column 6-row button field, and another rack mount panel for the display/keypad/PTT bar, etc. I believe needs a larger rack in the back room. Not currently familiar with the whole Zetron catalog.

Pics?

IMO, their are both solid units, not fancy, not like a huge Centracom console system. They are just that, small, for small dispatch centers.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Pictures of the "base radios" would help. In my mind these could be old /\/\ compa stations in a 4 foot tall 19 inch cabinet or some DIN sized dash mount mobiles! As far as the lap top. There are small CPU's sold by Dell, HP and others that are smaller than a cigar box and can be mounted behind a computer monitor on the wall or on a post from a desk top. Lots of options.

CVPI4Ever

It says Zetron Model 25 Instant Call Panel (top) and Programmable Encoder (bottom

1718074363709.png

The radios are Kenwood TK-7180's (VHF).

Any ideas on how to make this room work and mount the 2 radios, scanner, and laptop. The laptop pictured there stays open for our CAD screen hooked up to a monitor on another wall. This outdated, unused Zetron system takes up space. I was thinking a small desk or something but my problem is mounting the equipment somehow. Right now its just a "catch all" for junk

CVPI4Ever

Pictures of the "base radios" would help. In my mind these could be old /\/\ compa stations in a 4 foot tall 19 inch cabinet or some DIN sized dash mount mobiles! As far as the lap top. There are small CPU's sold by Dell, HP and others that are smaller than a cigar box and can be mounted behind a computer monitor on the wall or on a post from a desk top. Lots of options.
Pic is in response below. Radios are Kenwood TK-7180 VHF radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

One of the members here, used a Havis Shield console from a patrol vehicle as a vertical rack for some mobiles and scanners. There are some smaller ones that could accommodate two or three mobiles like your Kenwood radios in a small vertical pod on a desk or wall.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As far as the Zetron, make sure it is not a back up to your normal dispatch system. Sometimes those things exist for a purpose.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can order this without the power supply:

Or, just bolt them down on one of these:

bharvey2

I think a rack is the way to go. Some of your equipment already appears to be ready. If you look around, you might even find some old 2 post telco rack on the cheap.

kb4mdz

It says Zetron Model 25 Instant Call Panel (top) and Programmable Encoder (bottom

View attachment 163759

The radios are Kenwood TK-7180's (VHF).

Any ideas on how to make this room work and mount the 2 radios, scanner, and laptop. The laptop pictured there stays open for our CAD screen hooked up to a monitor on another wall. This outdated, unused Zetron system takes up space. I was thinking a small desk or something but my problem is mounting the equipment somehow. Right now its just a "catch all" for junk
Oh, I stand corrected; those 2 Zetron Model 25 panels are page-out encoders; looks like the buttons on both of them are fairly well populated. Interesting beasties, hard working. Still current production.

I see the two radios, with desk mics. Yes, a metal panel for them would look better (this looks like Masonite? Could have at least painted it black).
Given you've already gone 800 MHz, no, there might not be much here useful. Perhaps a couple hours of a decent tech who's familar with Zetron to verify they are completely disconnnected, and removing them won't cause the world to end, would be a good investment.

I'd suggest Govdeals.com to get rid of of it without just scrapping it.

emacs

That Zetron equipment looks to be mounted in a standard 19" rack, so as others have said, rack mounting the radios/scanners seems like a good solution that doesn't require any new furniture.

Alberta Radio Supply makes some nice rack mounts (ex. 19" Rack Mounting Panel for Dual Radios - KENWOOD models 2RU), and there are other vendors like NovexComm that likely have equivalent options.

I'd pull the Zetron units out of the rack, rack mount the radios and scanner, and add a rack-mount power supply if you don't already have another power solution. If you wanted to keep the laptop together with the radios, you could get a rack-mount sliding shelf like so to keep it on: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JN8TG9Q/

JustinWHT

It can be something on a tabletop or I can mount it in the wall. Just at a total loss on this.
Take advantage of vertical assets. Stack your gear instead of spreading it out on a table

Mount these on the wall studs and put in a shelf. Cut or grind off the curved part.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240613-122929.png
    Screenshot_20240613-122929.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 3

CVPI4Ever

Take advantage of vertical assets. Stack your gear instead of spreading it out on a table

Mount these on the wall studs and put in a shelf. Cut or grind off the curved part.
Its a block wall all around. It has a shelf for binders, etc but I was hoping for something better but did have this in the back of my mind.

RFI-EMI-GUY

How would you mount that to the wall? Looks like it has angles? Without knowing the make/model # I cant tell for certain.
That one could go onto a desk. There are others that are mounted flat on the hump, face up, that could be wall mounted. Havis and a slew of other companies make similar boxes. The radio faceplates are specific to the maker.