Severe Weather for Central Indiana 5-4-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Indianapolis weather is advising again a severe risk of Severe Weather in Central Indiana today and tonight Monday 5-4-2010. Severe thunderstorms, Tornados, Hail, and High Winds .Make sure you have your Weather Alert Radio set to the Tone alert setting and keep you backup batteries available.Might also want to keep a ear on Indiana State Police and other talkgroups on Safe-t for watches and warnings that might be issued.

SCPD

QRT
Make that Monday 5-3-2010 today is the 3rd as if I did not get enogh rain over the weekend

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Tornadoes are not a notable threat for Indiana. Maybe some hail and gusty winds, but this won't be a big day.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, I think today will be a relatively quiet day for severe weather in Central Indiana.

The Storm Prediction Center Convective Outlook for today in Central Indiana shows a 2% probability of tornados, 15% probability of hail, and a 15% probability of damaging winds.

West Central Indiana will probably see the most activity today. The exact wording from the Hazardous Weather Outlook issued by Indianapolis NWS this morning was:

THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...WITH THIS EVENING HAVING THE BEST CHANCE FOR STORMS. A FEW SEVERE STORMS ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL THE PRIMARY THREATS.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued:

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 137
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
145 PM CDT MON MAY 3 2010

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

CENTRAL ILLINOIS
MUCH OF INDIANA
EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 145 PM UNTIL 800 PM CDT.

HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 75 STATUTE MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 15 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF MUNCIE INDIANA TO 55 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF FARMINGTON MISSOURI. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU7).

REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY
DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF SHORTWAVE TROUGH MOVING ACROSS MO/IL. DESPITE ONLY MARGINAL CAPE VALUES...STEEP LAPSE RATES AND FAVORABLE SHEAR PROFILES SUGGEST THE RISK FOR LARGE HAIL IN STRONGER CELLS THROUGH THE EARLY EVENING.

. INDIANA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS ALLEN BARTHOLOMEW
BENTON BLACKFORD BOONE
BROWN CARROLL CASS
CLAY CLINTON DAVIESS
DECATUR DELAWARE FOUNTAIN
FULTON GRANT GREENE
HAMILTON HANCOCK HENDRICKS
HENRY HOWARD HUNTINGTON
JACKSON JASPER JAY
JENNINGS JOHNSON KNOX
KOSCIUSKO LAWRENCE MADISON
MARION MARSHALL MARTIN
MIAMI MONROE MONTGOMERY
MORGAN NEWTON OWEN
PARKE PULASKI PUTNAM
RANDOLPH RUSH SHELBY
STARKE SULLIVAN TIPPECANOE
TIPTON VERMILLION VIGO
WABASH WARREN WELLS
WHITE WHITLEY

Probabilities for severe events in this area can be found here:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0137_prob.html

Last edited:

W9NES

Accoring to Fox 59's Jim O'brien Quote from text"I would not be suprised to see if our State was put under a Watch Box later Today and Tonight" for Severe Weather.Seems funnly that CH6,8,13 also said the same thing.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Accoring to Fox 59's Jim O'brien Quote from text"I would not be suprised to see if our State was put under a Watch Box later Today and Tonight" f

Notice the post above :) It already happened...

AK9R

Super Moderator
And TV meteorologists are certainly the experts. Right, Rob? ;)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not in Indy. Phew. I used to watch their coverage when I had DirectTV with their locals, and it surprised me how such a large market can have TV weathercasters with so little severe weather knowledge and abilities.

W9NES

Yes I said it would happen way before W9RXR made his post.I was right!!!! I posted it before anyone elese did.As far as all the Indianapolis TV Weather they are on top on it along with Weather Channel.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Yes I said it would happen way before W9RXR made his post.

Actually I don't see that here... All I see is info you copied from the NWS & SPC webpages, and nothing about the actual watch being issued. Your "it is coming soon per WXIN" post came AFTER it was issued.

As far as all the Indianapolis TV Weather they are on top on it along with Weather Channel.

I will agree with part of your statement - when it comes to severe weather coverage, most Indy TV mets do as much good as the TWC on-air talent.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Let's see, Tim. You made your post at 9:29am talking about predictions that the Indianapolis NWS office had made.

Here's the text of the Hazardous Weather Outlook they issued this morning:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
436 AM EDT MON MAY 3 2010

INZ021-028>031-035>037-043>046-051>053-060-041000-
CARROLL-WARREN-TIPPECANOE-CLINTON-HOWARD-FOUNTAIN-MONTGOMERY-
BOONE-VERMILLION-PARKE-PUTNAM-HENDRICKS-VIGO-CLAY-OWEN-SULLIVAN-
436 AM EDT MON MAY 3 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN SECTIONS OF CENTRAL
INDIANA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

PATCHY DENSE FOG WILL BE ACROSS THE AREA EARLY THIS MORNING.

THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...WITH THIS
EVENING HAVING THE BEST CHANCE FOR STORMS. A FEW SEVERE STORMS ARE
POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND
LARGE HAIL THE PRIMARY THREATS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE AGAIN ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY. PRESENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT MORE STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS
ARE POSSIBLE ON FRIDAY. LIGHTNING IS A THREAT FROM ANY
THUNDERSTORM.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE REQUESTED THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS
EVENING.

Note the time on that HWO. 4:36 AM. Almost five hours before you posted anything about today's severe weather threat.

W9NES

Again.*My post was right on the money before W9RXR Posted and I did not copy from the NWS and the SPC webpages,W9RXR did not me.I thank Bob W9RXR for posting this infomation to back up my post.I do not copy anyones web site onto my post.Thank You.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Oh my, seriously Tim?

The sun will rise tomorrow morning. You heard it here first :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.