Sevier County LTR changes possibly coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Some of you have notice the Sevier County Sheriff operating on SCSD Ch2 lately. Well there is a reason for this and this was told to me be a very reliable source.

Sevier County Sheriff has bought new radios, and the system is going to be Nexedge Trunking. I have been told 2 cars have already been outfitted with the new radios and the others are to be replaced as soon as possible. Time frame for complete swap out, 2 months.

Sevierville Police will wait and see how it works out for the Sheriff before making decisions on whether or not they will move over to Nexedge.

All county fire departments will stay on the current LTR system, not enough money for them to move.
No word on Sevierville Fire department as to what they will do.

Pigeon Forge Fire department is already using Nexedge, this move happened last year.

As for Pigeon Forge Police and Gatlinburg Police and Fire, I can't talk about them for now. Someone else on the RR Forum will have to clue you in on them.

Sorry to bring this bad news to you all but this is what I have been told, again from someone very reliable on this situation.

Happy scanning and enjoy what you have left from Sevier County Tennessee.

kel415

Premium Subscriber
well

well if that don't just blow my nights away!!! I set back in my easy chair at nights and enjoy listening to them along with the others around there. Lots to listen about on rod runs. Hope rest won't go there anytime soon.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ahh the joys of iDAS/NexEDGE.... Cheap digital narrowband that no one else around you will use and isn't compatable with anyone else... Ohh yeah, thats right, scanners can't monitor you, so its great. :roll:

ButchGone

I wonder why they don't want to hop on the new regional P25 700MHz system, given that a new tower for this system is going up on Greentop Mnt. in Sevier County? I know, Motorola stuff costs way too much, but using a proprietary digi format that no one else can use flies in the face of "interoperability." Now if the whole region/state was going NexEDGE I could understand. As it now stands, if something big happens in Sevier County and they need mutual aid the incoming help won't be able to talk to "the troops on the ground."
BG..

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Cannot believe that the powers that be allowed a grant for such a system. Perhaps they have the analog interop frequencies in the radios too.
A local PD once went encrypted. When an officer distress signal went out and no other agency in the area knew, they switched back to open air and use MDT's and encrypted for sensitive messages. As rural as Sevier county can be it is a bit risky to use a system that no one else can hear, especially your LE buddies.

radiofan1

I wonder why they don't want to hop on the new regional P25 700MHz system, given that a new tower for this system is going up on Greentop Mnt. in Sevier County? I know, Motorola stuff costs way too much, but using a proprietary digi format that no one else can use flies in the face of "interoperability." Now if the whole region/state was going NexEDGE I could understand. As it now stands, if something big happens in Sevier County and they need mutual aid the incoming help won't be able to talk to "the troops on the ground."
BG..

So they need a 700/800 p25 radio for interoperability...(1)how well do you think that 1 tower will propagate(and receive) RF in that mountainous terrain? (2)And how well is their 700/800 radio going to work on local analog mutual aid channels? (3)As if all other local agencies are going to the P25???

Ain't, ain't, and ain't.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
They may use a gateway that links a tg to another agency sorta like cross banding.

radiofan1

They may use a gateway that links a tg to another agency sorta like cross banding.

You don't suppose they could patch a Nexedge talkgroup to analog just as easily?

What are you guys gonna howl about when phase 2 p25 starts rolling out? Huh? You won't be scanning that(for a while anyway) either.

SCPD

QRT
Its not like you are unable to monitor Nexedge

All you need is a Nexedge radio. Simple !

Email me direct if you need one.

radiomanNJ1

Sounds like another person who thinks that APCO25 does not work! 700-800 works fine. A well designed system will work fine. A mountain top site will work. Nex crap and these other want to be operating systems are not the way to go. Stick with the standard stuff.

So they need a 700/800 p25 radio for interoperability...(1)how well do you think that 1 tower will propagate(and receive) RF in that mountainous terrain? (2)And how well is their 700/800 radio going to work on local analog mutual aid channels? (3)As if all other local agencies are going to the P25???

Ain't, ain't, and ain't.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Also to note: As of 2011 if you want grants from USDHS and FEMA you better display that your going to very quickly upgrade an P-25 plan, or you will not be getting an grant for public safety telecommunications. So yes everyone will be going to digital before too long. If your implementing an system that does not include an P-25 option in the foreseeable future or have a VERY good interop plan to work with P-25 systems, you will have to look to local funding to pay for it. Even your State funding isn't gonna happen. And in the current and mid range financial future... Good luck!

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
That's why I am surprised that SCSO could foot the bill.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
When your portable and mobile radios cost less than $500.00 ea ($476.00 to be exact!). With 255 channels 16 groups, 4 line digital display, built in LTR, built in digital encryption, built in GPS, (with an optional speaker mic or antenna), built in data transfer capability, you won't need a grant. The audio is no worse than P25.
I just went through their training program, and their repeaters come fully setup with LTR like trunking (no dedicated control channel) in digital, built in digital voting for $1,400.00. Try buying a Harris or Motorola P-25 transmitter for that. An optional IP control interface ($300.00) for cross patching or whatever, if your system is covering a small area, you won't need a lot of equipment, and YOU control it, not some other agency, that when they get into financial trouble will raise you rates. I am a firm believer in home rule and control. You are going to see them make a good run against MOTOTRBO, and probably some P-25 systems.
For all the agravation you have to go through for a Fed grant, I would go with these radios too. The monies you might get for P-25 compatable system doesn't cover all the costs, so in the long run these radios might be actually less expensive. (Math here: 80% grant on a $10,000.00 transmitter is still $2000.00 you pay)
I don't totally buy all the complaints about not going to someones existing P-25 system. It sounds more like that "I can't listen" well you probably won't be able to anyway, I believe that when most digital systems are constructed, there will be full time encryption. That's what I have a problem with.

radiofan1

Sounds like another person who thinks that APCO25 does not work! 700-800 works fine. A well designed system will work fine. A mountain top site will work. Nex crap and these other want to be operating systems are not the way to go. Stick with the standard stuff.

Have you ever been to the area in question?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Looked at Coloroado?? Hmm P-25?? hMM 700/800?? Looked at the rest of the region where the TVRTRS is being built?? Wow, doing fine thus far. Very very harsh terrain with high elevations, and deep valleys. Looked at WNC? VIPER is ,... oh yeah 800 MHz... Funny how folks go on about IT will never work.. it'll fail.. Same bunch cried wolf when the first 800 MHz systems came into being. Same bunch that always cries wolf about ANY change. Yo, Chicken Little,.. the Colonel's got his bucket ready for ya.. And the slaw's fresh too.:roll:

As for iDAS being the way to go, sure if you NEVER want to help anyone else, or be helped by anyone else in an real disaster. APCO has stated again and again about the need for everyone to work together. On the same pages. In the same books... Instead once more we have folks going off to the newspaper stand to get fast and cheap instead of the bookstore that everone else is going to to prepare for the POP quiz that nature or an terrorist or the like is going to throw at you.

Last edited by a moderator:

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree. Seen non-linked agencies fail far more than agencies with interop capability. Think Katrina where no one could talk. At least Feds learned and now program all radios with interop frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
Looked at Coloroado?? Hmm P-25?? hMM 700/800?? Looked at the rest of the region where the TVRTRS is being built?? Wow, doing fine thus far. Very very harsh terrain with high elevations, and deep valleys. Looked at WNC? VIPER is ,... oh yeah 800 MHz... Funny how folks go on about IT will never work.. it'll fail.. Same bunch cried wolf when the first 800 MHz systems came into being. Same bunch that always cries wolf about ANY change. Yo, Chicken Little,.. the Colonel's got his bucket ready for ya.. And the slaw's fresh too.:roll:

As for iDAS being the way to go, sure if you NEVER want to help anyone else, or be helped by anyone else in an real disaster. APCO has stated again and again about the need for everyone to work together. On the same pages. In the same books... Instead once more we have folks going off to the newspaper stand to get fast and cheap instead of the bookstore that everone else is going to to prepare for the POP quiz that nature or an terrorist or the like is going to throw at you.

Although I agree that everyone needs to be on the same type of System IE APCO25 in Public safety I must disagree that 700/800MHz is the ideal band and is trouble free. If you know enough System admins you will soon find out 700/800 MHz is full of dead spots and issues. This is widely known and yet widely disregarded and denied because Public safety wants wide area networks, and they are convinced 700/800 is the answer no matter how much it cost or how many Public safety personnel they put in harms way because of it.

radiofan1

Tennessee will need to build a thousand towers in the east and look like a frikking porcupine before they'll provide even 90/90 mobile coverage at 700/800.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
When your portable and mobile radios cost less than $500.00 ea ($476.00 to be exact!). With 255 channels 16 groups, 4 line digital display, built in LTR, built in digital encryption, built in GPS, (with an optional speaker mic or antenna), built in data transfer capability, you won't need a grant. The audio is no worse than P25.

Where are you getting them for less than $500? The best price iv'e seen is $770, but we don't have a local Kenwood dealer anymore.... I've thought about getting one, since I use commerical gear for ham and local monitoring, and I figure that my local county (plus the railroads) will be going NXDN in the future...

Down in South Alabama, another city just went 100% NXDN for their police and fire departments. The county may also go completly NXDN in the near future. More and more agencies are looking at NEXEDGE because its cheaper than P-25 and they have had good luck with Kenwood radios.

I still believe that NXDN may become a defacto standard or an alternate standard, since more public safety agencies are adopting it instead of P-25. The only way I see that being stopped is for the FCC to require P-25 only for license granting or renewal.

Warren

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Hence FEMA and USDHS requiring that you have P-25, not NXDN, not MotoTRBO, not iDAS, not bug juice magic... P-25 if you want to see grant money after this year. Thats a fact. No plan for P-25, no cash! And as budgets are now so in the hole they suck from black holes to this galaxy... I think more and more agencies will be looking hard at how to get grants... Sure as heck ain't gonna get help from the local municipalities or state. Ask a voter to spend a penny on you right now, and youll catch a tomato in your face, or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.