Sevier County Public Service Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

I am writing this thread because of the huge mess there is in Sevier County's Public Service communications and peoples confusion trying to monitor them. I will do my best to make this as simple as possible.

This system: Sevier County Public Safety UHF LTR Trunking System, Sevierville, Gatlinburg, , Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies isn't correct any longer. The system really needs to be removed from the database.
It is part of this system now, actually it was always part of this system: Land Air Systems Trunking System, Multiple, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies
Also note that the Cove Mtn site was never built so no LTR traffic will ever be heard on those frequencies.
There are those that will argue that the systems were separate, but they weren't. What Land Air done was assigned Public Service all the higher LCN's and businesses the lower LCN's. Every once in a while you would actually hear Public Service users in the lower LCN range because of overflow from usage by others in the upper LCN range.
Yes there was a license for the Sevier County UHF system, but it was still part of the larger system.

Pigeon Forge Police use the Pigeon Forge P25 system: Pigeon Forge Public Safety Trunking System, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

Seymour, Cantons Chapel, and Pittman Center Volunteer fire department use their own freqs and are analog. Their freqs are found here: Sevier County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The Land Air System, (link provided above), is an analog LTR system, no digital is used on it. Sevierville Fire Department, Sevier County Rescue Squad and All county volunteer fire departments, with the exception of those listed above, use it.
The Sevier County 800 MHz system listed, Sevier County (800 MHz) Trunking System, Sevier County, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies , is actually frequencies used to link the three LTR sites together for those that require county wide coverage.

The NXDN trunk system, also owned by Land Air, is NOT part of the analog LTR system, it is totally separate. It uses Part 22 Paging Channel freqs that are being used for a digital Public Service Trunk system.
You can read this and will give you further information: Part 22 Paging Channels - The RadioReference Wiki
This is why I have stated that you must scan between frequencies 454.0125 MHz and 454.6625 MHz in 6.25 kHz steps to monitor the NXDN trunk system.

There are 3 analog frequencies that fall in the scan range of the NXDN trunk system, they are:
454.1000 MHz being used for Fire Department Pagers,
454.2750 MHz being used by the analog LTR system as LCN 1 on the English Mtn Site
454.4750 MHz being used by the analog LTR system as LCN 3 on the English Mtn Site
Each frequency has guard freqs 6.25 kHz away on both sides to keep NXDN digital from interfering with them.

Users of the NXDN trunk system, are 6.25 kHz wide and include:
Unknown Cabin Rental Company, you always hear them talking about cleaning and maintenance
Sevier County Sheriff
Sevier County Ambulance
Pigeon Forge Fire Department
Gatlinburg Police
Gatlinburg Fire Department
Sevierville Police occasionally use it but are full time encrypted when they do.

Sevierville Police use NXDN but they use their own frequency of 460.0750 MHz and are 12.5 kHz wide

I hope I have helped some of you trying to figure out what is going on the Sevier county. It is a mess....
If I have missed anything, please feel free to add to the thread.

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

LAND AIR

This system sucks, their is no consistency, Its not license right, and it should be subject to FCC Review. Any department on this systems really should consider the assumed liability for false documents on file. Not to mention the poor coverage and non dedicated channel assignment. Piegon Forge fire needs to move to the police system and create simplex channels.

The Piegon Forge system has better coverage then ltr system or nexedge. And whats worst of all this is the non separation of powers of a radio shop and the past capabilities of a deputy that owns the shop. Anyone who wants to secure a reliable radio system I think you will have clients forever.

What would be helpful if you want to correct the information is a system layout and guides im either the wiki or database.

jfhtm350

Its defininately a mess of this, that or the other.
Thanks for the info and clarification Danny.
Maybe a mod could remove the Sevier Co Simplified sticky thread and replace it with this one.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK, here is the kicker... We need the exact frequencies of the NXDN system, the SysID, LCN's, RAN and which FCC Lic it operates under so it can be built in the DB. And yeah, it is a huge mess, the NXDN TRS is not even licensed as an TRS, though Land Air has now added the NXDN emissions designations to the other TRS's it has licensed, so he may think he is covered? Or he may fully convert the others to become actually legal. The Public Safety Agencies using his TRS are guilty of just being idiots for going with an SMR run by an idiot instead of properly having an system built out. This happens when you go the cheapest route a lot of times. I will attempt to fix this up as best I can in the DB, and will get the NXDN TRS up once we get proper data for it.

Also, since Cove Mtn was never built, that invalidates all those TG's someone submitted to us for it. Where do those TG's actually need to be placed in the TRS listing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Sevier List

Good Information and thanks for sharing

Does anyone have a Sevier Cty list of freqs that you use, that work and are accurate?
I still struggle with all the groups etc.

Thanks

n4yek

We need the exact frequencies of the NXDN system.....

Read the bottom of the page of this link:
Part 22 Paging Channels - The RadioReference Wiki

Only reference the first 4 columns (Block, Base Center Freq, Block Lower, Block Upper) in my description below, the last three columns are for the mobiles

Remember, only use the 454.xxx freqs:
1) To get your frequency line up start at Block 'GA'. Your first frequency will be the 'Block Lower' and your second frequency will be your 'Base Center'
2) Then drop to the next Block 'GB'. Your third freq will be the 'Block Lower' and your fourth freq will be the 'Base Center'.
3) Drop down to the next Block 'GC'......and so on....and so on...
4) When you get to the last Block 'GZ' you will use 'Block Lower', 'Base Center' and you very last frequency will be 'Block Upper'

Now you have your frequencies for the NXDN Trunk System

Last edited:

n4yek

Last edited:

n4yek

After using WinDSDv2 for a while, it looks like the RAN number is associated with the Site number.
I am only hearing sites 1,2, and 3 from my location, but the Control Channel data stream indicates there are 4 active sites on the system.

Site 1 has a RAN of 1
Site 2 has a RAN of 2
Site 3 has a RAN of 3
Site 4 probably has a RAN of 4 but can't confirm this from my location.

Trunk System ID is 62

DSD+ still decodes better but WinDSDv2 gives you much needed information. :)

Last edited:

n4yek

look forward to seeing it listed.
Remember the 3 freqs I listed in the first post. Don't include those in the system as 2 of them are part of the analog LTR system and one is the Fire Pager frequency.

Last edited:

n4yek

Over the past couple of weeks I have found a few control channel being used. When the control channel is not used it is being used for voice channels.
Here is the list used for control channels: (the RAN number is the same as the site number)

Ch.# - Frequency - Site#
Ch.69 454.01875 Site 1
Ch.71 454.03125 Site 3
Ch.75 454.05625 Site 2
Ch.133 454.41875 Site 1
Ch.135 454.43125 Site 3
Ch.139 454.45625 Site 2
Ch.165 454.61875 Site 1
Ch.167 454.63125 Site 3
Ch.171 454.65625 Site 2

As stated before, the control channel data says there are four Sites, I can only hear three from my location so any help with that would be good.

Last edited:

n4yek

Here are a few talkgroups i figured out while monitoring using WinDSDv2:

1101 Sevier County Sheriff
1401 Gatlinburg Police
1501 Ambulance
1261 Pigeon Forge Fire

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Over the past couple of weeks I have found a few control channel being used. When the control channel is not used it is being used for voice channels.
Here is the list used for control channels: (the RAN number is the same as the site number)

Ch.# - Frequency - Site#
Ch.69 454.01875 Site 1
Ch.71 454.03125 Site 3
Ch.75 454.05625 Site 2
Ch.133 454.41875 Site 1
Ch.135 454.43125 Site 3
Ch.139 454.45625 Site 2
Ch.165 454.61875 Site 1
Ch.167 454.63125 Site 3
Ch.171 454.65625 Site 2

As stated before, the control channel data says there are four Sites, I can only hear three from my location so any help with that would be good.

Hello,

The RAN on a NexEdge (Type-C) trunk site is the site number modulus 64. Zero indicates Site 64, not to receive any RAN.

It appears the system uses a channel mapping where Channel 1 (Base) is 453.59375 with a 0.00625 MHz step. So Freq = 453.59375 + ((Ch - 1)*0.00625. This is not aways the case as I monitored a system up in Montreal where each of several hundred channels were unrelated discrete frequencies.

You should be able to find the frequencies for the other traffic channels by monitoring the control channel and using the formula to convert the channel numbers to frequency.

73 Eric

n4yek

Thanks for the information, Eric. I tried the math and it does work against the channels I have seen.

453.59375 + ((69-1)0.00625) = 454.01875 which is showing as Ch.69 in the datastream

Thanks

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK it has been born in the DB.. I will get GPS data, FCC data etc fixed as we get it all narrowed down. TY guys for all the great help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.