Shack in a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8myc

After being bumped around the entire house I thought I needed to go in a different direction with my equipment. I found this gem while looking in a furniture store. It weighs in at a hefty 650 lbs empty and when the doors are closed it blends right in. It has taken several months of throwing things and cussing to get it right. I had to remove the usual CD holders and useless shelves that were in there and make my own adjustments. One thing I do need to do is put a hinged peg board on the back of it, not only so it can breath but so I can get to all the wires instead of going through the 9 holes it now has.It sits proudly between the living room and dining room. There is a heater vent hole that's perfect for passing all my cables through.It's a real bear to move, takes 2 people.
The equipment is as follows. Top left and right are 2 Prima LCD monitors for HDTV,satellite TV and computers. In tmiddle are 2 BC895XLTs used for Unitrunker.
Left side is a BCT8 used for local aircraft, helo to helo, 123.025 and of course 123.45.
A BC796d used for searching out new talkgroups on the statewide MARCS system. A YAESU FT-2500M for 2m usage. A PRO-2096 for OHP posts and other tactical stuff. 3 PRO-2055s for local police stuff. On the right side is a BCT15 used for county stuff. 2 PRO-2054s used for the local trunked system inputs. An ICOM IC-706MKII for HF ham usage.
Another 2096 for use on the statewide system filled with various things. And 3 more 2055s one for neighboring police such as OSU, airport and so on, and the last 2 are split with fire dispatch and firegrounds. The Uniden 246T and Pro 95 (not shown) are my walk around the house radios. At present I'm using at TV splitter from a discone outside for 4 of the scanners. I have another to put up when it gets warm. My ham ants came down in the recent snow storm and have to be replaced. And one of my dogs hard at work watching out for my things. If you look closely you can see the discone above the satellite antennas, it's missing 3 radials that have come loose and fallen to the ground.

Attachments

• bob#2.jpg
    bob#2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,626
  • bob#3.jpg
    bob#3.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2,558
  • eddie#4.jpg
    eddie#4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,558
  • box#1.jpg
    box#1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,565
  • box#2.jpg
    box#2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,552

RodStrong

You know, it looks good, but I don't think you have enough scanners............

rcvmo

Ok, someone help me out on this one.........
The Shack in a box, reminds me of a movie some 20+ years ago of a missionary priest playing an old pump organ in a church when the Germans came for a search. After they left, the priest folds the top of the organ back and reveals the tubes and electronics of an HF rig, so he starts giving information about the location of the Germans.
Now I thought that was a classic.

Very Nice set-up. Gives me an idea on what to do with my Grandma's 200+ year old Oak cupboard.
rcvmo

SCANMUNCIE

That setup looks sharp, I really like that idea as if you want to hide it just close the doors..

The only question I would have is how is the ventilation if you leave the computer running with the doors closed?

n8myc

The only question I would have is how is the ventilation if you leave the computer running with the doors closed?[/QUOTE]
I plan on putting a hinged door made of peg board on the back for venting. I don't leave it on with the doors closed for more than a few minutes but I haven't had a major problem with heat. I know that will all change when summer gets here.

n8myc

billfx said:
Looks sharp, but what are all the sat. disks for..?
From left to right...Directv High definition, Galaxy 10, unused directv(getting removed in spring), AMC5, AMC4 and Horizons2 aka SBS6 for the OhioNews Network.

CLTX11

Wow, I like that. Nice variety of equipment. That is a good idea, can close the doors to hide it all from guests.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Alrighty Then, Very Nice!

Gives me a few ideas. I like the dual screens. CLose it up and nobody knows nothing! Great thinking!

mANNY

Status
Not open for further replies.