Shack of Jason (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Hi all,
Here's my shack. There's other radios - mostly mobiles - stored away for when they are required. In the mobile, there's an Icom 208H and a PRM8030 UHF mobile, and a Quansheng TG45AT portable for fireground comms. A VX2r lives in the glovebox for portable operations, and a Kenwood TH-D7AG occasionally gets used to 'remote' control the Kenwood TS2000 base ham rig too.
The Kenwood TS43X (TS430s) has an interesting history behind it - it was used on a yacht as a marine radio and became faulty after months of exposure to salt air and spray etc. I came along and purchased it for $5 and fixed it up with about $80 of parts, bead blasted the case and resprayed it, and approximately 100 man-hours of fault-finding, replacing parts and retuning. It now serves as a backup rig for my ham radio activities, and does some AM broadcast band DX'ing too.
The two large handhelds are Philips PRP80 - one VHF, one UHF. These dwarf the UBCD-396T. The mobile is a Philips PRM8040 UHF. There's my workhorse & pride & joy AOR AR5000 and matching SDU5000... and on top of the Diawa antenna matcher is my latest toy, a Degen DE1103 - a cheap portable that continues to amaze me with just how capable it is...

VK7ZJAshack2.jpg

VK7ZJAshack1.jpg

VK7ZJAshack3.jpg

VK7ZJAshack4.jpg

VK7ZJAshack5.jpg

commscanaus

Very nice Jason!

Your AOR AR5000 with SDU makes me wish I had bought one when I had the chance some time ago.

Pleased to see your Philips gear going strong- the PRM8040 is a great radio and those PRP80's are among my favourites. In fact the PRP80 UHF that you re-aligned and programmed for me is still going strong- but it needs new batteries.

The TS-2000 is an impressive looking set.

Before anyone else asks- Any antenna pics?

Commscanaus.

CanesFan95

Awesome setup and nice shots! You seem to have a steadier hand on the camera than most (unless you used a tripod?).

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Guilty - tripod was used to aid the commission of this photographic crime! The light was low too, hence the noise speckles...

CanesFan95

Here I Go Again With The Photos...

No crime at all my friend, but here's a little tweaking if I may.

vk7zjashack4qm2.jpg

vk7zjashack5bz0.jpg

KevinGC

Nice:
Do you listen on the VK7ZCR repeater at all? Might try to contact you on there via Echolink if so.
I believe this repeater may be in the same area as you. It is listed in the Echolink directory as: lenah valley tasmania

HIP

Ts 2000

Very nice. I just got to know I am a proud owner of the TS 2000 and I must say the blue display looks fantastic.How did you do it? please e-mail me the directions or point me where I can find it.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
I'll post this here for the benefit of other TS2000 owners, and those thinking of buying one.
Yahoo Groups "KenwoodTS-2000" contains a wealth of information. Once you join this group, you can access in the files area "LEDfix.pdf" - this gives a brief outline on how to change the incandescent bulbs for LEDs (you need to replace some SMD resistors too). Inside that PDF document there's a link that is supposed to give more detailed instructions - its a dead link, but there should be enough information on how to do the LED swap over if you look. I used blue LEDs obviously.
There's other mods for the TS2000 downloadable there, some of which include:
InRad roofing filter mod: yes, I've done this one
BPF diode mod: I didn't do this, since my location is rather HF-noisy so I doubt I'd see any benefit from doing this one; if you're in a HF-quiet location, it may be worthwhile doing
VHF sensitivity improvement: I did this one, but used a slightly higher resistor value than suggested to give slightly less gain, as I have many out of band VHF signals here that could be a problem
UHF sensitivity improvement: I did this as advertised
DRU3A buzz fix: I was the one who identified the problem to Kenwood and they came back with the fix that works nicely
Fan mod: I didn't do this, my TS2000 gets used for receive mostly, and a fan constantly slowly turning over in my quiet shack would become annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.