Shack Pics of Monitors with Multiple Virtual Scanner Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
I’ve seen several nice shack pictures of multiple scanners (mostly Unidens) connected to a single computer monitor which displays 2, 3, or 4 virtual scanner displays. Does anyone know how this can be done with a single computer and monitor? Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I’ve seen several nice shack pictures of multiple scanners (mostly Unidens) connected to a single computer monitor which displays 2, 3, or 4 virtual scanner displays. Does anyone know how this can be done with a single computer and monitor? Thanks.

The ProScan software will accomplish that nicely.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
There has to be multiple instances of proscan running, one for each scanner, with it own program files folder (copy and paste files into new folder for each instance)

N9JIG

Sheriff
I do that with ProScan and a set of up to 20 or more Uniden scanners (BCT15, BCT15X, BCD996XT, BCD996P2, SDS100, SDS200, BCD536HP HP1, HP2). I have also used ARC-XT Pro/ARC15 Pro/ARC536Pro and Sentinel. I prefer ARC for programming and ProScan for Virtual Control.

I use a Hades Canyon NUC from Intel with a decent i7 processor, 32GB of RAM and 2 TB of SSD storage. In the radio cabinet are 2 13-port USB hubs fed into a 7-port, that 7-port then goes to the computer by a single 15' USB cable. Also going thru that same set up is 4 PSR600's using Pro96Com as well as an AirNav RadarBox. This is plenty powerful enough to run a couple dozen instances of ProScan, ARC, Pro96Com etc.

A couple of hints for using multiple radios on a computer include:

• Learn how to use Device Manager to change Comm Port ID's.
  • Document what CommPort ID goes to what radio. I changed all the IDs to go in order and labeled the radios as well as the cables, then made sure I knew what USB port each cable goes into. See the next hint for why THAT is important.
  • Always plug each item into the same USB ports each time once you get it all set up and documented. (if you plug a USB cable from a radio into a different USB port it changes the Comm Port ID.) I use a specific USB port on the computer, if I put the cable into a different one all my Comm Port IDs get changed.
  • Use a larger monitor and higher resolution to fit more virtual displays onto the screen.
  1. As for ProScan, building on sonm10's comment above, do a full install and setup of ProScan.
  2. Copy and paste the resultant folder as many times as needed.
  3. Label each folder with the Comm Port ID or other name as required to keep track of things.
  4. When a ProScan update occurs (as they do from time to time) do a fresh install of the updated version.
  5. Then copy the contents of the fresh update install and copy/paste that into each of your existing ProScan folders, replacing only those files and executables.
  6. This allows you to keep your logs and settings for each radio intact.

Pics, including the monitors with the radio displays, are at N9JIG Shack for 2020

Last edited:

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the detailed information guys. 73’s

Status
Not open for further replies.