Shack Update, Revision 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
This is my third and hopefully last revision. I decided to mount my radios under the shelf. This way they were out of the way and eye level when I sat at my desk. The BCT15 on the top shelf is for the live feed for radio reference. I would have mounted the 15 on the shelf with the rest of the radios but having 5 radios spread across made it hard to read the displays on the end radios. Having 4 works out best and I never mess with the live feed radio.

Last edited:

colby4601

Fantastic setup, Dan!! Really looks good. Everything about it is very professional. Congrats.

AB1ND

Premium Subscriber
I love the portable scanner stand on the top shelf !

pathalogical

That's an excellent set up ! You could put all five on the same shelf. Squeeze the middle 3 together a bit more and the 1st and 5th can be positioned toward you instead of pointing over and past your shoulder.

I like that handheld stand next to the 15, with the big blue hands...

wise871

Database Admin
That's an excellent set up ! You could put all five on the same shelf. Squeeze the middle 3 together a bit more and the 1st and 5th can be positioned toward you instead of pointing over and past your shoulder.

I like that handheld stand next to the 15, with the big blue hands...

pathalogical
I was thinking the same thing and when I got home I made the changes. It works out great this way. Here is a pic of the scanner stand. It was given to me by TalonIILM. Not sure where he picked it up at. Any the wallpaper I'm using is called EarthLights.

Last edited:

mjbjr

Great looking setup!! But i have a curious question,Why have so many radios? I could see having a handheld and a base,but why that many?

wise871

Database Admin
Great looking setup!! But i have a curious question,Why have so many radios? I could see having a handheld and a base,but why that many?

Everyone who has multiple scanners well tell you different reason for having multiple scanners. For me my setup is as followed.

#1 BCD996T – Used mainly to monitor the U.S. Dept. of Defense: Southeastern Region P-25. I have ID Tracker hooked up to this scanner so it is busy scanning unidentified talkgroups in this region. Later on I can go back and listen to the audio and ID the talkgroups. I also use it as a backup digital when something big is going on. When not monitoring P-25 I monitor Okaloosa County. This scanner is connected to RG6 and a rat shack discone.

#2 BCD996XT – This workhorse scanner is feed with LMR-400 and connected to a Diamond Discone. The reach with this combination is incredible. I mainly monitor Santa Rosa County and Escambia County with this rig. I also use it for P-25, Federal, Mil and Civil Air and anything else I want to monitor or those signals that are far off. When the bands are open, this rig pulls them in.

#3 Pro-197 – This is my backup P-25. I mainly use this radio with Unitrunker.

#4 BCT15 – This radio is fed with LMR-400 and an 800 Yagi. Its main purpose is to monitor 800 MHz systems like Pensacola and Bay County.

#5 BCT15 – This radio is used to provide a live Santa Rosa County (SRC) feed to Radio Reference. I also use it as my primary SRC radio.

All the radios except for the feed scanner is used during special events or emergency situations. When there is a pursuit, fire, traffic accident, manhunt, etc you need more than one radio to catch all the action. Otherwise you miss everything that is going on.

Last edited:

multiple,,
heres my logic n reason,,

during a priority,where theres an event that involves 2 or more agencies
each dept will use their own radio system,,

so,lets say city of springfield borders town of pleasent hill,theres a chase,
springfield will radio through their dispatch and pleasent hill will also.
there may also be an interop channel.and maybe the state pd gets
involved,,
Yes they may be on an interop cahnnel,but they will also be radioing to their
own dept for other details regarding the event,,

so in that scenerio 4 radios will have you catching All the action...

And,,alot of times you can hear cops taling smack about the other depts
on their Own system,,but not on the interop..

mjbjr

Wow,thats alot of information in just a couple of posts.Im not gonna hijack this into a Q&A,but i do have several.I can see needing multiple now.We dont get very much stuff here besides your standard tag and license check.But it would be nice to monitor the sheriff and police separate scanners.

Any ideas on how to convince the wife of this?lol

Status
Not open for further replies.