Shamrock Sportsfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

At the ocean front in Virginia Beach this weekend.

8k events 3/19 start 8am
Marathon & half marathon events 3/20 start 8am and 7am respectively.

Look for VBPD 2nd pct tac TG 39984
EMS I don't remember which TG; Mark (I-16) do you have an idea?

Amateur 147.045 (repeater) . Also 446.000 (simplex). I'll be working the Saturday 8k events on these freqs. The 8k event may be on 146.49 (simplex) rather than the repeater as the event is in a much smaller area. The marathon will definitely be on the repeater.

8k course http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/assets/8k Course Map.pdf

Marathon course http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/assets/marathon map 2010.jpg

Half marathon course http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/assets/2010 HM Course Map.jpg

SCPD

QRT
I will try, but been here at the station for 36 hours, and have to be back here at 07:00 tomorrow. I will bring my 346XT with me and try to listen. Va Beach will not pick up well here at the station. I will try on Sunday when I get home.

Mark

kc4jgc

I visited the unified command center inside the Hilton this morning before the 8k started. One table had three postions for EMS. Confirming Mike's post, the EMS radios showed TACs 1,2 & 3. All 3 radios were mobiles with its own power supply. There was only one EMS operator this morning, at the TAC 1 radio. I'm sure the other two will be staffed during the marathon and half marathon Sunday. VBPD was at a table at the opposite corner of the room; the two officers there were using portables. VB ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) was at a table next to the EMS table, He was using a portable as well on 446.0. Our net control is, as always, in one of the hotel rooms high above the finish line. We did use 147.045 for the event, though I only monitored that freq; communicating with net control on 446.0

I again was stationed at mile 4 at the service entrance to the Hilton (30th @ Atlantic). Warm temps until the cold front pushed through, then got chilly fast until the sun peeked through about 1000. Thankfully, there were no medical events during the race or any issues I heard that needed attention. Hopefully, tomorrow's races will be just as quiet.

Governor McDonnell ran the race this morning. His wife led Operation Smile Final Mile for the kids, her small group starting a few minutes before the the first wave of kids. When I arrived at 0630, I figured the governor was near as there were two VSP Suburbans parked at the Hilton service entrance where I normally park. I did manage to park behind them though. Later, during the Final Mile event, I did shake the governor's hand just before he returned to the finish line to meet his wife.

Last edited:

dtscho

Database Admin
I visited the unified command center inside the Hilton this morning before the 8k started. One table had three postions for EMS. Confirming Mike's post, the EMS radios showed TACs 1,2 & 3. All 3 radios were mobiles with its own power supply. There was only one EMS operator this morning, at the TAC 1 radio. I'm sure the other two will be staffed during the marathon and half marathon Sunday. VBPD was at a table at the opposite corner of the room; the two officers there were using portables. VB ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) was at a table next to the EMS table, He was using a portable as well on 446.0. Our net control is, as always, in one of the hotel rooms high above the finish line. We did use 147.045 for the event, though I only monitored that freq; communicating with net control on 446.0

I again was stationed at mile 4 at the service entrance to the Hilton (30th @ Atlantic). Warm temps until the cold front pushed through, then got chilly fast until the sun peeked through about 1000. Thankfully, there were no medical events during the race or any issues I heard that needed attention. Hopefully, tomorrow's races will be just as quiet.

Governor McDonnell ran the race this morning. His wife led Operation Smile Final Mile for the kids, her small group starting a few minutes before the the first wave of kids. When I arrived at 0630, I figured the governor was near as there were two VSP Suburbans parked at the Hilton service entrance where I normally park. I did manage to park behind them though. Later, during the Final Mile event, I did shake the governor's hand just before he returned to the finish line to meet his wife.

I know this doesn't directly relate to the subject of this thread, but did you happen to notice what type of radios the hotel staff at the Hilton were using? I thought I saw them using Nextels when I was there a few years ago, but I never did get a good look.

Thanks,
Dave

kc4jgc

I know this doesn't directly relate to the subject of this thread, but did you happen to notice what type of radios the hotel staff at the Hilton were using? I thought I saw them using Nextels when I was there a few years ago, but I never did get a good look.

Thanks,
Dave

No, I didn't. In fact, I don't recall seeing any radios. When our rep was having problems getting into the hotel's wifi network, a bellman left, then returned a few minutes later with their tech who was using a cell phone.

SCPD

QRT
GREAT info Mike... Did not put those ID's in my radio. Only have FD & PD in radio. 40144 still active. So far they have called EMS for four runner's down on this channel.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.