Shands Helo Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

What are helos from outside of Alachua County talking to Shands on? I see 155.34 and a UHF channel listed in the state database but haven't heard any traffic there.

Thanks in advance.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gatorman,

155.34 "Regional Med" can be hit or miss. The frequency is simplex so it really depends on your antenna and distance from the helo you are trying to hear.

However there is lots of traffic on the UHF frequency listed in the DB 461.625. A good amount of the helicopters do their flight following and patient report on that frequency.

The repeater output is not very strong so depending on where you are listening from and your antenna setup you might not get it. Im out in the Newberry area and the wideband discone antenna in the attic didn't cut it. Switched to a UHF yagi and get it loud and clear now.

Everyday at 0800 and 2000 they do a radio check so tune in 461.625 around then and see. If you cant pull in the repeater you can always plug in the input side 466.625. At least then you will be able to hear some of the helicopters checking in.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber

No problem!

Gatorman,

I was thinking more about testing your reception of the repeater. In addition to the morning and nighttime radio test the repeater broadcasts a CWID every 30 or 60min (cant remember which) If you program the output in without the CTCSS tone you will be able to hear it if you are in range. This might make testing your setup a little easier/faster.

Gatorman

SRSP2282, thanks much for the info. I was listening to the repeater output on the VHF channel from the Melrose area. I imagine if I had been listening to the input, I would have heard something. I was using a hand-held radio.

I'm sending you a PM.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Yeah unfortunately a handheld from Melrose probably wont cut it. Definitely plug in the input. You'll at least pick up something when they are flying in over your area. You may also want to try the inputs for Trauma-One (Lake City) and LifeFlight (Jacksonville) I get his from the aircraft in Newberry on those as well.

Gatorman

Shand's Helos

Anyone copied any traffic from these aircraft recently? Freqs? Have copied no traffic. Also, I'm noticing that even with very bad traffic crashes in the Melrose area, all transportation seems to take place via ground. Also coming from Clay, Putnam, etc. to Shands. Is there a reason they aren't using the helos to pick up patients at scenes?

Thanks for your patience.

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gatorman. 461.625 is definitely still active. Last night for example there were several helos that flew patients to Shands. They came up on the freq for flight following and patient report. Are you also monitoring 155.34 (Regional Med freq). Some of the other flight services use it to call Shands. Its a simplex freq so you might not hear the Shands side but you may be able to hear traffic from helicopters on that one too from time to time...

Status
Not open for further replies.