SDS100/SDS200: Sharing a profile in email on the sds100

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
hi everyone. im trying to send my codeplug from my sds100 sentinel cps to a friend by email attachment to help me with it. how do i do that? is there a certain way? TIA

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would copy all of the files from the SD card, using Windows Explorer, to a separate file folder on your computer. Then I'd send that copied folder using something like DropBox to your friend.

After receipt, using Windows Explorer (not Sentinel), the friend can write all the downloaded files to a freshly formatted SD card for his scanner.

At the end of this process, your friend will have an exact clone of your scanner. Even down to the Opening Message if done properly.

phask

Premium Subscriber
First, the term codeplug is not used by Uniden and I have no idea just what you actually want to do.

Your profile has nothing to do with your favorite list which is your actual programming.

If you want to duplicate everything, do as ofd801 suggests. If you want to send a favorite list. Export as HPE and he imports the HPE.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Codeplug was a new term for me also. I always referred to what I had parked on my SD Card as simply My Program. But when DMR became popular in the amateur radio (ham) comunity, it came with the term “Codeplug”. I’m sure it was used before DMR hit the scene but for me, the entire SD Card’s contents on the SDS100/200, or any other scanners internal memory is it’s codeplug.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Codeplug was a new term for me also. I always referred to what I had parked on my SD Card as simply My Program. But when DMR became popular in the amateur radio (ham) comunity, it came with the term “Codeplug”. I’m sure it was used before DMR hit the scene but for me, the entire SD Card’s contents on the SDS100/200, or any other scanners internal memory is it’s codeplug.
I meant to say I refer to what’s on my SD Card as my program, memory or as of late, codeplug… I use all three as interchangeable.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

Codeplug is a Motorola term and simply means the programmed data.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I googled the term and got the following;

“A code plug is a configuration file containing settings and parameters necessary to program a Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) or other digital device in radio communication. This file is a blueprint specifying details such as frequencies, talk groups, colour codes, and different settings.”

In short, it’s a program. The term can be somewhat confusing to those new to the scene because a “plug” infers a piece of hardware. And it is, or was, an actual plug that connected to a receptacle on a radio. That plug contained the programming. The term has remained but now refers to a configuration file.

The following is my best guess on who owned or created the term. I do not dispute the Motorola association and thank the previous poster for the mention;

I offer the following scenario… maybe someone can add or subtract to this with first hand knowledge…

Motorola may have identified a need to copywrite the hardware (afterall, it started out as an actual plug you could place in the palm of your hand) and therefore had to come up with a name for it to identify it on any registration papers that needed to be submitted. But since programming ceased to require a piece of hardware, Motorola may have seen no need to continue any sense of ownership of the term. That is, if they applied for a copy-write in the first place. I have no idea, I’m just spitballing here.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The term dates back to at least the 80s and is used in Motorola software, so while the DMR reference is true, it predates DMR by decades.

It also applies to analog models. Basically it applies to every programmable Motorola radio.

I don't believe I have seen the term referenced used by any other manufacturer.