Sharing an antenna? School me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

OK so if I have for instance two identical UHF mobile radios can I use a T-coupler and run two mobile radios off of the same UHF quarter wave antenna?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
As long as neither transmits.. First time one does, the other will most likely go poof.

I wouldn't take the chance.

af5rn

n9mxq said:
As long as neither transmits.. First time one does, the other will most likely go poof.
Yeah, you'll need a UHF duplexer, which both combines and isolates the signals so they do not interfere. Most duplexers you'll find at ham outlets are dual banders, which will not work.

k8mcn

k9-cop said:
OK so if I have for instance two identical UHF mobile radios can I use a T-coupler and run two mobile radios off of the same UHF quarter wave antenna?

If you don't want to use them BOTH at the same time , just use a two position antenna switch.install the switch backwards, so that you end up with a jumper from each UHF rig going in to one side and the antenna hooked into the single side----then you can switch rigs to antenna at the flip of a switch--- I do this here to operate two different HF rigs-just label the switch and make sure it is in the correct position (hooked to the rig you are transmitting with).
But beware--you must make sure you throw the switch--if not you will be transmitting in to a dead short (if you have a switch that grounds the unused terminal)

Status
Not open for further replies.