Shelby County Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiana1983

Does anyone know the transmitt frequency for the sheriff department and both the Recieve and transmitt frequecies for the Shebyville city Police.

Thanks

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
indiana1983 said:
Does anyone know the transmitt frequency for the sheriff department and both the Recieve and transmitt frequecies for the Shebyville city Police.

Thanks

Sh Co Sheriff Tac 1 158.730R Input 156.090 Pl 100.0
Sh Co Sheriff Tac 2 151.325R Input 153.995 PL 186.2

dc428

When does Shelby County begin to use Indiana Safe-T and abandon VHF?

When does Shelby County plan to begin use Indiana Safe-T and abandon VHF radios?

I can still receive radio traffic from Shelby County SD, Shelbyville PD & FD on VHF Frequencies. How much longer will they use the VHF Radios?

Viper43

If you read the thread on the subject you'd see the answer is: When the new towers are built, constrution begins in January

Up on the line it says "Home" on the right side is a search box, type in Shelbyville and you should get the thread....

V

Snibble

When does Shelby County plan to begin use Indiana Safe-T and abandon VHF radios?

Shelby County _can not_ abandon the VHF system unless/until some manufacturer develops a voice paging system suitable for volunteer fire service use compatible with SAFE-T.

Your tax money has been wast^H^H^H^Hspent on a large number of SAFE-T radios for agencies in the county. Said radios are largely issued/installed already. However, because the system is so needlessly complicated that even Motorola's dealer in the area can not figure out the radio programming, they presently function only as parasitic loads on vehicle electrical systems.

jerk

Shelby County _can not_ abandon the VHF system unless/until some manufacturer develops a voice paging system suitable for volunteer fire service use compatible with SAFE-T.

Your tax money has been wast^H^H^H^Hspent on a large number of SAFE-T radios for agencies in the county. Said radios are largely issued/installed already. However, because the system is so needlessly complicated that even Motorola's dealer in the area can not figure out the radio programming, they presently function only as parasitic loads on vehicle electrical systems.

It's the wave of the future, get used to it.
And there are alternatives to dispatching out, but they do cost dollars.
But a simple VHF system/frequency for alerting is doable... but some have gone to alpha paging, you can do dispatch talk groups on the radio etc.

Viper43

Sorry to burst your bubble but Shelby Co has had great success with the radios, and have since they first installed them. The only "bad" area is up near Morristown. And the "system" isn't needlessly complicated, it's actually very simple, you just have to be smarter than a turnip, if the local dealer can't deal with it they shouldn't be in the business. Programming the radios shouldn't be a problem since the templates are set up for them.

V

Snibble

It's the wave of the future, get used to it.

Worst. Argument. Ever.

But a simple VHF system/frequency for alerting is doable...

Thus, Shelby County couldn't abandon the VHF system.

but some have gone to alpha paging,

Great backup system to in-house alerting for career fire departments, delay between sending and receiving page is unacceptable for primary dispatch mechanism.

you can do dispatch talk groups on the radio etc.

Most agencies/counties have a dispatch TG, that doesn't magically create the portable equipment appropriate for daily use by volunteer fire departments.

Sorry if I have upset some fanboys. From a technical perspective, SAFE-T is certainly impressive. From a practical standpoint, it's inappropriate for the services it's being forced upon.

Last edited:

Snibble

The only "bad" area is up near Morristown.

How does that mesh with the testing done that led to the plan to install something like 6 more tower locations in order to achieve minimum acceptable coverage in the county?

And the "system" isn't needlessly complicated, it's actually very simple, you just have to be smarter than a turnip, if the local dealer can't deal with it they shouldn't be in the business.

I didn't argue that they should be in business. But since they're granted a local monopoly by Motorola, they're all we have...

Programming the radios shouldn't be a problem since the templates are set up for them.

The templates (at least for Shelby County) were set up by people who do not understand the system or the radio models targeted, then handed over to a dealer that appears to not understand the system or the radio models targeted, resulting in delivered radios that do not function and have recently been returned for reprogramming.

Viper43

Shelby Co is getting ONE new site, Morristown, which will also serve Hancock Co as well, Hancock Co is getting one new site as well, the other 4 are elsewhere, NOT in Shelby Co.

No, theres always EDACS or something even worse than EDACS......

Really, so those who set up the entire statewide system don't know what they are doing? You sound like a kid who didn't get the new toy you wanted for Christmas........
Funny, I haven't heard of a single issue with the Shelby Co radios, at least not with the Sheriffs Dept. The only complaint I have heard is the dead area by Morristown which will get the new tower.... construction begins in January......

V

How does that mesh with the testing done that led to the plan to install something like 6 more tower locations in order to achieve minimum acceptable coverage in the county?

I didn't argue that they should be in business. But since they're granted a local monopoly by Motorola, they're all we have...

The templates (at least for Shelby County) were set up by people who do not understand the system or the radio models targeted, then handed over to a dealer that appears to not understand the system or the radio models targeted, resulting in delivered radios that do not function and have recently been returned for reprogramming.

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
Reference the VHF paging... its not hard at all to set up a simulcast on a dispatch console. Click on the SAFE-T group, and the VHF group... hit the tones... Minitors go off in the county, in house alerts go off... All is well.
I don't know anything about Shelby county, but thats just some observations by someone with dispatch console experience.

jerk

Worst. Argument. Ever.
Thus, Shelby County couldn't abandon the VHF system.
Great backup system to in-house alerting for career fire departments, delay between sending and receiving page is unacceptable for primary dispatch mechanism.
Most agencies/counties have a dispatch TG, that doesn't magically create the portable equipment appropriate for daily use by volunteer fire departments.
Sorry if I have upset some fanboys. From a technical perspective, SAFE-T is certainly impressive. From a practical standpoint, it's inappropriate for the services it's being forced upon.
Didn't upset me... don't really care. either use or don't, but sounds like you don't have a choice or any power in the matter.
Whine all you want... but is this really the right place for it to find a solution to your perceived shortcomings of Safe-T in Shelby county?

Will you fix anything by posting and complaining here. I don't think so!

Go to your elected officials, write the newspapers, talk to knowledgeable users, but word of mouth and opinions, and first impressions are usually wrong.

There are reliable paging solutions, without using VHF or UHF conventional systems, the ones I mentions will work, but are not the only options that will work. And if this is a main concern, (though I think not) I suggest you explore those options.

Snibble

Shelby Co is getting ONE new site, Morristown, which will also serve Hancock Co as well, Hancock Co is getting one new site as well, the other 4 are elsewhere, NOT in Shelby Co.

Shelbyville Fire Station #3 will be getting a site. A tower operated by Hoosier Energy in the Geneva area will be getting a site.

Really, so those who set up the entire statewide system don't know what they are doing?

Well, I have no experience with them, I couldn't say one way or the other. I do have experience with the committee of local officials that is working to set up the template for Shelby County. I attended a number of the meetings and discussed the template with a number of the individuals. I can assure you that they do not have a thorough understanding of the system or the radios.

Funny, I haven't heard of a single issue with the Shelby Co radios, at least not with the Sheriffs Dept. The only complaint I have heard is the dead area by Morristown which will get the new tower.... construction begins in January......

I suspect that a lack of complaints would be more meaningful once the radios are actually distributed to the Sheriff's Department members and the system actually starts being used regularly. Until that happens, there's not much for them to complain about.

Snibble

Reference the VHF paging... its not hard at all to set up a simulcast on a dispatch console. Click on the SAFE-T group, and the VHF group... hit the tones... Minitors go off in the county, in house alerts go off...

Yes. And that's the current plan for Shelby County. Also, it looks like the dispatch TG will remain digital, so Knox Box key releases will remain on the VHF radios. Thus, Shelby County will not be abandoning the VHF system.

Viper43

Not sure where you are getting your info but they (Shelby Co) is getting ONE SITE in MORRISTOWN, it will be a dual site for Shelby and Hancock Co. the Bartholomew, Rush and Johnson Co sites cover the rest of the county along with the Fairland site. Maybe you should get some new sources, especially since the Sheriff's Dept has been using the SAFET system for 6 months, at least three months full time except up in the Morristown area. Your whinning isn't helping, especially since you have no clue whats going, your claims that you have helped on the template shows your lack of knowledge and whats going on. A rep from the county submits their requirements including number of radios, users and type of users to the IPSC who then submits the information to the radio techs who set up templates, the counties do not set set them up. IF you really had attended meetings etc. then you would actually have a clue, and that info was sent in months ago. Many of the county departments have the 800 radios installed and operable, which if you had a digital scanner you'd have known. In fact about 6 months ago during one incident police and fire units were using SAFET because the VHF system wasn't working during a fire response. The first engine enroute got on the radio and told all units to use 800 because of the VHF issues. The first in Sheriff's unit contacted the responding fire units on 800 and during the entire incident the VHF channels were quiet. It's not the only time they have done that recently though, and not just because the VHF system didn't work.

As for alerting and knoxbox, they can change that over to 800, and at some point it will be changed whether YOU like it or not. For now they will simulcast the alerting on VHF, but I'd say from what I have heard that will be gone in 5 years as they buy new pagers to work with the SAFET system and once all the pagers are changed over the VHF will only be a backup for fire

V

Shelbyville Fire Station #3 will be getting a site. A tower operated by Hoosier Energy in the Geneva area will be getting a site.

Well, I have no experience with them, I couldn't say one way or the other. I do have experience with the committee of local officials that is working to set up the template for Shelby County. I attended a number of the meetings and discussed the template with a number of the individuals. I can assure you that they do not have a thorough understanding of the system or the radios.

I suspect that a lack of complaints would be more meaningful once the radios are actually distributed to the Sheriff's Department members and the system actually starts being used regularly. Until that happens, there's not much for them to complain about.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Geez man, ever heard of a space bar :lol: You telling someone they have no clue is about the funniest thing I have ever heard. I don't really feel like picking apart the blob of words, but I will say as far as the IPSC is concerned Shelby County is getting 3 more sites in addition to the one they already have (might have a look at the map). You really should go back to the Uniden threads, at least there you appeared (to others) to have half a clue :wink:

Not sure where you are getting your info but they (Shelby Co) is getting ONE SITE in MORRISTOWN, it will be a dual site for Shelby and Hancock Co. the Bartholomew, Rush and Johnson Co sites cover the rest of the county along with the Fairland site. Maybe you should get some new sources, especially since the Sheriff's Dept has been using the SAFET system for 6 months, at least three months full time except up in the Morristown area. Your whinning isn't helping, especially since you have no clue whats going, your claims that you have helped on the template shows your lack of knowledge and whats going on. A rep from the county submits their requirements including number of radios, users and type of users to the IPSC who then submits the information to the radio techs who set up templates, the counties do not set set them up. IF you really had attended meetings etc. then you would actually have a clue, and that info was sent in months ago. Many of the county departments have the 800 radios installed and operable, which if you had a digital scanner you'd have known. In fact about 6 months ago during one incident police and fire units were using SAFET because the VHF system wasn't working during a fire response. The first engine enroute got on the radio and told all units to use 800 because of the VHF issues. The first in Sheriff's unit contacted the responding fire units on 800 and during the entire incident the VHF channels were quiet. It's not the only time they have done that recently though, and not just because the VHF system didn't work.

As for alerting and knoxbox, they can change that over to 800, and at some point it will be changed whether YOU like it or not. For now they will simulcast the alerting on VHF, but I'd say from what I have heard that will be gone in 5 years as they buy new pagers to work with the SAFET system and once all the pagers are changed over the VHF will only be a backup for fire

V

brentoli

Deactivated Duplicate Account
Banned
I just looked at IPSC today, there is a new site on the East side, SouthEast side, and South side of the county planned.

Where have you seen a pager that works on a trunking system?

Snibble

Not sure where you are getting your info but they (Shelby Co) is getting ONE SITE in MORRISTOWN

[snip]

especially since the Sheriff's Dept has been using the SAFET system for 6 months, at least three months full time except up in the Morristown area.

[snip]

A rep from the county submits their requirements including number of radios, users and type of users to the IPSC who then submits the information to the radio techs who set up templates, the counties do not set set them up.

[snip]

Many of the county departments have the 800 radios installed and operable, which if you had a digital scanner you'd have known.

I think there's enough demonstrably incorrect info in the above that I'll have to just accept that facts won't sway your opinion and stop arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.