Shelby hamfest & GRE PSR-500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohica

This will be my first time at the Shelby hamfest. Does anyone know if any of the vendors will have a special sale on the GRE PSR-500 scanner?
If I can't get a deal on one at the hamfest then I guess I will be forced to order one from Scanner Master.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To be honest, I would be somewhat surprised if ANYONE even had a GRE scanner for sale. There will be a few new equipment dealers, but even as big as Shelby is, there won't be a lot of dealers.

Bet we'll have quite the collection of beenie babies :D

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
To be honest, I would be somewhat surprised if ANYONE even had a GRE scanner for sale. There will be a few new equipment dealers, but even as big as Shelby is, there won't be a lot of dealers.

Bet we'll have quite the collection of beenie babies :D

Too funny, but true, and quilts, crafts, cookies, flashing lights, gizmos, etc. This will be my second visit to Shelby, my first was back in 1998, I suspect like all the other fests it will have decreased in size.....I'm actually going up Friday visiting the Concord Outlet Mall, picking up something I bought off Craigslist in Dallas then getting an early start at the fest Saturday morning! I'll be on 146.520 and 446.000 call KI4DCR if anyone is around! Look forward to seeing folks.....as for the GRE Scanner, I agree, not many vendors nowdays at hamfests especially those that sell scanners.....

kc4wwu

Shelby Hamfest

I thought I recall seeing a couple vendors last year selling some new scanners.
Last year was my first time to Shelby, and we all had a GREAT time.
Was a nice fest. I dunno about this year, since it moved and all to Dallas.
We'll be up again this year, gonna do the 6 hour trip from Camden County GA on Friday.
Get a hotel and be there bright and early on Saturday!

73, Pete
K4QHR

bohica

only interested in big vendor

that sold new GRE 500s. Of course no one would have a used one for sale. And if I did see a used one for sale, I would suspect it was stolen or broken. I have been to several large hamfests in my life (Dayton OH & Puyallup WA) and have been spoiled! I can't decribe how disappointed I was when I went to the Winston Salem hamfest two years ago!!

kc4wwu

PSR 500 at Hamfest

that sold new GRE 500s. Of course no one would have a used one for sale. And if I did see a used one for sale, I would suspect it was stolen or broken. I have been to several large hamfests in my life (Dayton OH & Puyallup WA) and have been spoiled! I can't decribe how disappointed I was when I went to the Winston Salem hamfest two years ago!!

i went to the Hamfest today... Two of the inside vendors have the GRE Scanners, didnt look at the price. Also had the Uniden 396 scanners!!

Came back for a shower, and about to head back now.

73, Pete
K4QHR

Grog

Banned
Could barely see anything in the indoors section, way too cramped in there today. The combination of the usual cattle-like movement of the crowd didn't help too much either.

Yes, I had fun anyway. Think I got a little too much sun and WAY too much sweat pouring out of all of my pores :lol:

Didn't see it all, likely won't be back tomorrow because of work, that's a shame too. Bought a $10 toss around multi-meter and 12 pairs of 4mm screws for all my unmountable radios that have lost theirs over the years. They are chrome and big, but I can cover that up with a good install later.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I went to fest as well.

It was a fairly decent hamfest. A lot of walking though.

Oh well I guess the walking was good for me though.

I suggest they keep it there for next year, because it is a nice facility and parking was great as well

David

Grog

Banned
I suggest they keep it there for next year, because it is a nice facility and parking was great as well

They have already agreed to hold it there for the next four years, even before they held the first one. I would like to see another indoor building, looking forward to Charlotte where EVERYTHING was inside.

If it was all flat it might not be too bad, but I saw one guy who looked like he was going to die any minute. I mean, the average ham is a guy, likely over 60, and quite a few are still chain smoking so I'm not sure that making them walk up and down a bunch of grades is the best thing on a hot summer day.

....but I'll be back next year.... :D

kd8x

They have already agreed to hold it there for the next four years, even before they held the first one. I would like to see another indoor building, looking forward to Charlotte where EVERYTHING was inside.

If it was all flat it might not be too bad, but I saw one guy who looked like he was going to die any minute. I mean, the average ham is a guy, likely over 60, and quite a few are still chain smoking so I'm not sure that making them walk up and down a bunch of grades is the best thing on a hot summer day.

....but I'll be back next year.... :D

I resemble that remark about 80% anyway ha ha....The Charlotte hamfest will be at the Cabarrus Arena next year...only a couple miles from my house....ya'll come...The hamfest today was great except for the heat and the walk from Gaston College parking lot....The shuttle buses were few and a little slow for my taste but I still had a good time....

Grog

Banned
I'm sure the club got plenty of feedback on the buses, but that can only get better as they will have an entire year to plan the next one for this location instead of just a few months. All things considered, I would say they did a great job upholding such a long standing tradition as the Shelby Hamfest on Labor Day weekend.

blinddog50

All in all it was good.
Went to the fest in Charlotte last spring it was nice being inside but it seemed like it was 90% flea market and 10% radio vendors.
Was kind of disappointed.
It would be nice at Shelby next year if the outside vendors were consolidated in one general area instead of being so spread out.
August heat and 100% humidity sucks.
But I do think the Shelby people did a good job with the time they had.
Some of the prices I saw that stuff was selling for. OMG.
$300 for a BCT-15......
Best thing of the day was that I finally broke down and got my tech ticket today....WOOOHOOO!

Grog

Banned
Best thing of the day was that I finally broke down and got my tech ticket today....WOOOHOOO!

Congrats, now you get to spend more money on radios :lol:

Here is an example of the hamsexiness that can be found at a hamfest :D

HamsexyvanAC2.jpg

rescuecomm

The guy that was about to drop must have been me. It was quite a walk from the college, but I made it. I got a couple of MFJ headsets for the Icom V82's, but the mic audio is too low to be useful. Might have to cobble up a pre-amp.

Still the largest hamfest in this area. I will be back next year too.

Grog, I heard you on 147.420 before I went into the commercial vendors building, but I was unable to raise you when I came out. Were you using PL?

Bob

Last edited:

Runt1945

Wow!!!!!!!!!

I miss the great BBQ that you can only get in NC.
I remember serveral years of traipsing thru mud and guk
in the flea market. REALLY was fun though to see all the
"bargains" and meeting old friends.
It has been several years since i was at the Shelby 'fest.
Since i moved from Virginia to West Virginia I am unable to
get this weekend off. It seems that the college football season
just has to start on this weekend. Oh well, I guess that is what
life has for me.

KA4DKJ
Ralph

Grog

Banned
Grog, I heard you on 147.420 before I went into the commercial vendors building, but I was unable to raise you when I came out. Were you using PL?

Nope, but there was a bunch of other activity on that freq too so I just must have missed it. No speaker mic on that radio and only one of the group I was meeting was on VHF so there was almost no comms, plus I was hanging around a couple of those guys and didn't really need that radio.

Sorry I missed you, had my phone on though :D

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> They have already agreed to hold it there for the next four years, even before they held the first one. I would like to see another indoor building, looking forward to Charlotte where EVERYTHING was inside.

The "everything inside" probably won't change, but the hamfest site is moving to the Cabarrus Co show facility up Hwy 49, north of Harrisburg, next year. A little more driving for us "southerners."

(BTW - good morning tropo at this time ... Pitt Co Fire disp with good signal / sta 51 and 52 units at structure fire, and fire marshall has been called to the scene)

Grog

Banned
The "everything inside" probably won't change, but the hamfest site is moving to the Cabarrus Co show facility up Hwy 49, north of Harrisburg, next year. A little more driving for us "southerners."

Yeah, just old habit as it's still known (at this time) as the Charlotte hamfest. Just like the Shelby hamfest that was held in Dallas :D I liked the old merc/mart, never liked paying for parking but that's just hot it went (although the last time I went was a year where it was free). It will be a little further, but seeing as how people drive from states away to visit Shelby and Charlotte I sure do feel fortunate to be so close to such large hamfests. I'm also going to start saving pennies now so I can make the pilgrimage to Dayton next year :D

I told some of the Gastonia guys (GAARC) that they should have their Gastonia swapfest again, but hold it in Lincolnton just for fun :lol:

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I can't wait for Charlotte either.

Because it is going to be held right in my back door.

I only live about a 1/2 mile from the arena where it is going to be held

David

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
CT Morgan and Associates was one of the inside vendors at the Shelby / Dallas Hamfest. They were selling a couple of ICOM handhelds at what seemed like a good price.

Looking online, I can't find any current info for them. The search engines can find a website, but the site hasn't been updated in 3 years.

Can anyone provide any additional guidance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.