Shenandoah County new radio system

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Alpha Tags coming soon..... Scanner is on ID Search & using PROSCAN to see hits it receives, then going back in Brodcastify recordings to see what was said or try and reference it to an agency. I have all TG's we discussed in this tread programmed, I just wanted to get started w/ audio at least because I'm a "Super Rookie" at this. Does this make since/logical?

I haven't read Broadcastify's terms of service for a long time. I would say just be careful with the scanner in ID "Search" mode, and the potential for picking up sensitive info, such as SWAT or patient information- I know they were in the TOS at one time. Some law enforcement agencies do not want their broadcast streamed... I don't know how the Sheriff feels, but maybe it's worth reaching out and making contact to be respectful. Just my .02 and trying to keep agencies encryption free for as long as possible.

fredva

Feed Provider
Todd is right. Broadcastify only allows dispatch and special event talkgroups to be streamed for law enforcement. Adhering to the rules is in the best interest of both law enforcement and local scanner owners.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Since it's a new system and no one knows what all of the talkgroups are, I'm sure once he identifies one that's not allowed he can remove it immediately.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I haven't read Broadcastify's terms of service for a long time. I would say just be careful with the scanner in ID "Search" mode, and the potential for picking up sensitive info, such as SWAT or patient information- I know they were in the TOS at one time. Some law enforcement agencies do not want their broadcast streamed... I don't know how the Sheriff feels, but maybe it's worth reaching out and making contact to be respectful. Just my .02 and trying to keep agencies encryption free for as long as possible.
I would highly suggest you don’t broadcast a scanner with ID Search on. Very good way to encourage encryption and ruin it for everyone. I’d only broadcast strictly dispatch channels if you’re going to host a feed.

Vol4engco9

Feed Provider
Thanks you all for the input - I have changed/removed TG as mentioned for the SO. I'm only broadcasting the dispatch channels and turned off the ID Search. When I see more updated TG's posted I will add as applicable. When I see the Sherriff, I will ask him his thoughts on the OPS channels.

Alpha Tags are up and running now :)

Thanks again for all of your inputs - much appreciated.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Thanks you all for the input - I have changed/removed TG as mentioned for the SO. I'm only broadcasting the dispatch channels and turned off the ID Search. When I see more updated TG's posted I will add as applicable. When I see the Sherriff, I will ask him his thoughts on the OPS channels.

Broadcasting LE Ops/Tac channels is against the Broadcasting guidelines

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I saw 1600, 1602, and 1613 get affiliations today, no ID on those. 10+ radios were hitting 1605 "Woodstock PW" which i thought was odd.

Also, I got P25 hits on 453.0375 close to the jail in Woodstock. Couldn't get a decode, it that may be the jail frequency.

tread lightly. we're lucky they didn't decide to encrypt like Clarke, Warren, and Front Royal. but that can still happen.

EarlSuitor

Premium Subscriber
FYI: I'm pretty sure TG 1587 is the alerting TG for Strasburg Rescue Squad (Co 25). Please listen out for that and if I'm right we should put it in the DB. Listen and give opinion.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Ok what I want to know has anyone been able to get the Astro Band Plan for Shenandoah County?VHF and UHF is different then 700/800 programming when you use a Harris xg100p unit for NAS scan.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Besides has anyone been able to get the Astro P25 band plan or IDEN for those who are using a harris radio as a NAS,
does anyone know if they have VA STARS programmed into their radios as well? Using a Harris radio is a whole new ball game
then using a regular scanner to monitor the county. You do need the Astro P25 band plan or IDEN info since this is a trunking system now

fredva

Feed Provider
One of the downsides of using a commercial radio is that relatively few other hobbyists are using one compared to scanners, so getting the specific info to program one is probably more of a challenge.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
One of the downsides of using a commercial radio is that relatively few other hobbyists are using one compared to scanners, so getting the specific info to program one is probably more of a challenge.
While that is true, using a commercial public safety grade radio in the long run is a better option but the coast that go with it and the knowledge needed to program it so it will NOT AFFILIATE or even try to Affiliate to a system that you are monitoring the sound quality is better, no trouble with simulcast issues and catching audio transmissions that a scanner might miss does make it worth while and in the process you do get to have a better understanding just how the system does work as well. I have found that using a Harris radio is alot better then using batwings radios aka mother moto as when you are scanning a system you can stop the scan on a talk group that you want to monitor while with batwings you can not stop the scan. If you do, then you will receive nothing at all unless you have programmed it before hand to monitor that TG only. That is not the only reason to use a Harris unit but ease of programming is a major factor in my book... If anyone does have questions please send me a PM.

fredva

Feed Provider
I don't doubt that a commercial radio has better reception than a scanner. I was just saying at this time, there aren't many people outside of an agency using them, so it can be a little harder to find people who obtain and share the info you are seeking. I hope somebody can provide it.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I don't doubt that a commercial radio has better reception than a scanner. I was just saying at this time, there aren't many people outside of an agency using them, so it can be a little harder to find people who obtain and share the info you are seeking. I hope somebody can provide it.

Thanks and hope everyone here has an OUTSTANDING Thanksgiving with family as well.

TJX400

I am not within range of this system. So I cannot confirm that the information I'm providing here is 100% accurate. However, I live within range of a relatively new L3Harris manufactured TDMA capable system, which happens to be in the UHF band. I will attach a screenshot of the band plan (AKA IDEN table/Astro 25 Channel ID).
1668969229621.png

For those of you wondering, this information can be easily received by purchasing an RTL-SDR, downloading SDRTrunk, and decoding the control channel. SDRTrunk will provide you all the information you could ever need for programming.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Looking at that and then looking at the frequencies for Shenandoah County I don't that is the IDEN For Shenandoah. First of all the control channels begin with 451 and you have 453 posted so that would not work with Shenandoah I think. Did you catch the WACN and the system ID by any chance????
Also one major thing I just remembered, now that Shenandoah is on a UHF trunking system they will be able to switch to the West Virginia SIRN system when they run mutual aid calls using their mobile units. The WV SIRN System is also in the 450 UHF range and the IDEN would almost be the same or the IDEN could be programmed aka Astro P25 band plan into their portables and mobiles so they can communicate with their West Virginia counterparts when are on a mutual raid aka mutual aid run.

Last edited: