Sheppard AFB switched to new P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Today they were working on the fire station radios or something and fire dispatch mentioned switching between "Fire Department Conventional" and "P25".
I think they have a backup repeater or simplex channel but I was not able to find it.

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
Randolph AFB had a simplex frequency years ago. I don't think they use it anymore. I haven't heard anything on it in years. I have heard Fort Sam talking about a VHF frequency. I live to far away to check.

Don

caphab1

Just heard interesting comms on the system. On the primary SF TG, "Wichita County 140" was attempting to do a radio check with no reply from Sheppard dispatcher. I was not able to catch a radio id on my scanner at the time. Time occurred approxmately 1105 local. Im thinking a user from WCSO testing maybe in case of response needed? Anyone know what 140 could be?

Last edited:

nd5y

140 is the Wichita County Emergeny Management Coordinator, who is also a deputy sheriff.
The other County EMO people have 900 callsigns.
Sheppard EMO people have "Dragon [number]" callsigns.
I have heard the county EMO on Sheppard's system before, nothing new.

nd5y

Yesterday most of the Security Forces radios were encrypted but dispatch console was in the clear. Today dispatch is encrypted too. I don't know if that's permanent.

caphab1

140 is the Wichita County Emergeny Management Coordinator, who is also a deputy sheriff.
The other County EMO people have 900 callsigns.
Sheppard EMO people have "Dragon [number]" callsigns.
I have heard the county EMO on Sheppard's system before, nothing new.

Thanks for the info. that's interesting.

nd5y said:
Yesterday most of the Security Forces radios were encrypted but dispatch console was in the clear. Today dispatch is encrypted too. I don't know if that's permanent.

Awww that's no fun. No wonder its been too quiet! I don't have the typical garbled sound when they transmit though, its just straight quiet.. which leads me to believe a squelch setting in my scanner is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.