Shiloh National Military Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikonFE2

I'm planning a trip to Shiloh National Park and can't find anything on RR about the National Park Service in this area. Does anybody know anything about this?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Seems to be a bit of a desert in respect of information. NPS does state you can contact the radio coordinator for whatever park you are interested in. Doesn’t mean they will give up that information but there is only one way to find out. I’d guess they are likely sharing the same frequencies as a nearby NPS site. I wasn’t able to find anything in the databases but someone in the area might have better knowledge.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Set the NAC to 0xf7e or $F7E and should be home free if the frequency is right. I’m on the other end of the state so I don’t have any way to test it, but perhaps someone can give it a whirl. NPS coverage on the eastern end of the state is crazy good.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Seems to be a bit of a desert in respect of information. NPS does state you can contact the radio coordinator for whatever park you are interested in. Doesn’t mean they will give up that information but there is only one way to find out. I’d guess they are likely sharing the same frequencies as a nearby NPS site. I wasn’t able to find anything in the databases but someone in the area might have better knowledge.

As a retired federal employee (USFS) I can tell you that making a phone inquiry will not be successful. A letter will get a reply, just as the link you provided states, that federal radio frequency information is exempt for the federal Freedom of Information Act.

I too show 164.4250 as the listed frequency, but that is from a 2009 non-government website. This frequency is for repeater input use per the 2019 NTIA reallocation of the 162-174 band. Theoretically it should not be in use, but I've noted that the Department of the Interior is behind on switching to frequencies that comply with the 2019 directive. It would not surprise me if this small park unit is still using 164.4250 if the information about its use was accurate to begin with. It is a smallish park of just under 4,000 acres with a smaller field workload and radio traffic would be less than the larger parks, so it is probably low on the priority list for radio system replacement or upgrade. That, unless another situation would drive it higher, such as interference or other federal agency needs.

ecps92

I've only had luck with $F7E on a Real [Motorla, EFJ etc] Radio, doesn't work with Scanners, best to just program as P25 and NAC Search , if they are P25 [many are still analog] so the best route is just program as AUTO[detect]

Set the NAC to 0xf7e or $F7E and should be home free if the frequency is right. I’m on the other end of the state so I don’t have any way to test it, but perhaps someone can give it a whirl. NPS coverage on the eastern end of the state is crazy good.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I've only had luck with $F7E on a Real [Motorla, EFJ etc] Radio, doesn't work with Scanners, best to just program as P25 and NAC Search , if they are P25 [many are still analog] so the best route is just program as AUTO[detect]
Good point. I use Harris NAS instead of a scanner. One of these days I’ll stumble across a SDS100 or 200. It would definitely make life a lot easier. I actually didn’t consider them using analog. Closest NPS to me is Smoky Mountains National Park. They are definitely P25. Usually clear but sometimes garbled robot music encryption. Their repeater coverage is phenomenal in East Tennessee.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Good point. I use Harris NAS instead of a scanner. One of these days I’ll stumble across a SDS100 or 200. It would definitely make life a lot easier. I actually didn’t consider them using analog. Closest NPS to me is Smoky Mountains National Park. They are definitely P25. Usually clear but sometimes garbled robot music encryption. Their repeater coverage is phenomenal in East Tennessee.

From what I hear the closest national park to you is really great. Maybe adding that word to the name of the park would be a good idea! 😉😁

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
And good luck trying to find anything specific in that document. A couple of us on the thread the link originated on don't think it is a complete listing at all, perhaps not even close.
I wouldn’t expect it to be complete and I wouldn’t expect it to be easy to read. The Feds produced it. Whoever compiled the documents probably got tired of doing it after the first 30 pages. Not a job most people would want to do.

*Great Smoky Mountains National Park*

Everything else here is Smoky Mountains instead of Great Smoky Mountains. Ex. Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Smoky Mountains Hospice, and too many for me to list. All on the right side of California in Appa-latch-uh ;).

TNDispatcher

Premium Subscriber
Bring your scanner and do close call. If this park is as small as u say it is you should be able to pick up enough RF from the repeater site ( if they even have one ) to study the system. Usually close-call works good if your around a mile or less of a repeater pushing out its 100w rating.
I have studied many sites like this.

TNDispatcher

Premium Subscriber
Looking on google maps I spotted a tower rite behind the visitors center. There appears to be a maint building behind it with a fairly large tower.
See attached pic.

Attachments

• Tower.JPG
    Tower.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 8

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Bring your scanner and do close call. If this park is as small as u say it is you should be able to pick up enough RF from the repeater site ( if they even have one ) to study the system. Usually close-call works good if your around a mile or less of a repeater pushing out its 100w rating.
I have studied many sites like this.

With small parks you might have to be there an entire shift, which would need to be day shift on this unit, I imagine. There is no guarantee you would here anything on a given day. A park unit like that is usually dominated by the Interpretive Division, with lots of historians by education. They aren't known for generating a lot of radio traffic. In some parks they don't even take a radio with them when they are giving presentations outside. These are just generalizations based on the smaller NPS units I've visited, worked closely with and having friends who worked for the NPS. It could be different there as it is a long distance from where I lived, worked and traveled.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn’t expect it to be complete and I wouldn’t expect it to be easy to read. The Feds produced it. Whoever compiled the documents probably got tired of doing it after the first 30 pages. Not a job most people would want to do.

*Great Smoky Mountains National Park*

Everything else here is Smoky Mountains instead of Great Smoky Mountains. Ex. Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Smoky Mountains Hospice, and too many for me to list. All on the right side of California in Appa-latch-uh ;).

Oh, I always thought it was pronounced "Appa lay chans" or "Appa lach chee uns." But, I've only been in the Appalachians a few times in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, so I don't know much. I heard the pronunciation that is used by many local folks as I spent a month at Clemson University in western South Carolina back in the 1980's. The locals told me that there is not complete agreement among locals as to how it is pronounced. I always try to respect residents of an area an pronounce geographical features they way they do. It is not easy as the written languages don't always reflect pronunciation.

People from there would probably call the mountain range I look at from the west side windows of our house the "Sierra Ne VAAAUUGH da Mountains." That is a bit exaggerated, to make a point. They pronounce the state name the same way, of course. Around here it instantly identifies you as someone who was raised in the eastern U.S., which generally means east of the Mississippi River, but to me includes the so called "Midwest" as well. If it's east of the Rockies, it is the eastern U.S. to me. The word Nevada should be pronounced "Ne va da" with the "va" pronounced like the "va" in the word "vat.." When hearing this some will insist that the proper Spanish pronunciation be used for all Spanish geographical names. My reply is that Texas is nearly always mispronounced as the proper Spanish is "Tay hass" and it means friend in that language. Of course it is nearly always pronounced as "TEX us." Also the State of New Mexico is mispronounced as well. The Spanish pronunciation is "Mey HE co." It is commonly pronounced "Mex eh co."

Status
Not open for further replies.