Ship to Shore (telephone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

detective1750

Good evening, I purchased a Uniden SDS200 and while scanning the full database I frequency stopped on the Maritime Operations.
Specifically it is 84RX- Ship/shore (telephone). I do remember listening to phone conversations from ship to shore back in the day on my Uniden 800XLT.

Are these frequencies still active?
And would anyone know if it is part of the NXDN Band?

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You know that's a good question? I was a professional Clam Digger in the Great South Bay on Long Island, New York while I was in college starting 1971. I had moved from the Philly area to go to Long Island University. I supplemented my income in the summer by being a licensed Bayman during the day and a bartender at night. The age was 18 for bartending. I was also a news photographer stringer for Newsday newspaper. No cell phones of course in 1971, while I got my undergraduate and graduate degree ending in 1978.

I always used Marine radio to make phone calls from my boat. You had to be registered so that you could be billed. Of course the radios were licensed then, I was WM6934, It was not like a regular phone, you had to say over when you were finished speaking. But you could actually call any phone number you wanted through the Marine operator and I used it a lot and it was expensive. That's my last remembrance of marine phone calls.

If I had to guess and I am, the service is still available to ships at sea who are far out of range of any cell phone communication and don't use satellite communication. I did used to use the Marine operator all the time in the early 70s.

I look forward to your other replies oh, that was a long time ago.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good evening, I purchased a Uniden SDS200 and while scanning the full database I frequency stopped on the Maritime Operations.
Specifically it is 84RX- Ship/shore (telephone). I do remember listening to phone conversations from ship to shore back in the day on my Uniden 800XLT.

AT&T and a few others used to provide those services. I do believe all the VHF has mostly been shut down, but there may still be a few providers. Cellular phones for near shore stuff pretty much killed it.

It was all VHF analog, no digital.

There are still some providers for HF marine telephone, but it's getting rare. Most larger ships are using satellite/INMARSAT services for that. More reliable, clearer, secure and they can run internet over it.

I haven't heard a Marine VHF telephone operator in years. I think the last time I heard a marine HF telephone call was back in the late 1980's early 1990's.

Not sure what you are asking about the "NXDN band". NXDN is a digital protocol, not a band of frequencies.
Marine VHF is all currently analog FM. There are some very long term plans to migrate to digital, but while the proposed protocol looks sort of like NXDN, they are not calling it that.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's pretty much what I was thinking McKenna. I'm going back early 70s. It was a telephone provider that I had to register with for the billing purposes. God knows if I can remember but there were certainly no cellular providers so I'm going to say it was Ma Bell. You absolutely had to use your FCC assigned call sign.

Once I got in the workplace and sold my boat I never had any dealings with it again. Don't know if my Marine license had to be renewed by the FCC but I believe licenses for marine radios were eliminated in 1996. Thanks for your input I enjoy that as I once used Marine radio telephone all the time!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's pretty much what I was thinking McKenna. I'm going back early 70s. It was a telephone provider that I had to register with for the billing purposes. God knows if I can remember but there were certainly no cellular providers so I'm going to say it was Ma Bell. You absolutely had to use your FCC assigned call sign.

Yeah, AT&T was the big provider around here. Heavily used at the time. Calling cards were popular back then.

The house I bought 20 years ago was owned by an ex Coast Guard guy (he'd been at Pearl Harbor, still had his awards up on the wall when we looked at the place). Anyway, he had a large commercial fishing boat. For years we were getting mail for him (long since deceased) from AT&T Marine Telephone Operator service. Mostly about shutting things down.

There is still a large AT&T HF station not far from me that handled a lot of the HF telephone calls over here on the West coast. It became Globe Wireless at some point, then shut down in the late 1990's. Antennas are still there, I think some ham club is playing around with it.

When I did my GROL FCC license course, there was talk about it, but they quickly taught us that INMARSAT was now used.

Once I got in the workplace and sold my boat I never had any dealings with it again. Don't know if my Marine license had to be renewed by the FCC but I believe licenses for marine radios were eliminated in 1996. Thanks for your input I enjoy that as I once used Marine radio telephone all the time!

Recreational boaters do not require an FCC issued license to use Marine VHF. It's now considered 'license by rule' for those users. Vessels carrying passengers or over a certain size do still need to license their radios, VHF and HF.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep you're bringing back my memory, I only wish you could help me find my keys in the morning LOL.

Yes the newest and biggest thing that was the coolest ever was the calling card. I would use the calling card on Marine phone calls and it was from AT&T. The best thing about a calling card was, at work I could just pull over to any pay phone of which there was one on every corner or should I say three on every corner. Jump in the phone booth, pull up my card, tap all the numbers in and make a phone call... No longer did I have to drop a dime. Damn. We're talking about a while ago but it was very convenient. It was great when we started to use the bag phones and the big brick cell phone in the 80s.

The calling card disappeared just as Marine Mobile Radio did LOL. Memories!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, calling cards. I had one when I was a teenager, my dad got it for me so I could always call home.
And then along came numeric pagers. That was how you knew you'd arrived. Still needed the phone booth, though.
At the job I'm in now (going on 24 years now…) I had a company calling card and a pager. That and the voicemail system I ran had a toll free access number. I even set it up to send me a page when I got a voice mail in my box. High times.
And then we got fancy with "2 way pagers". Pretty cool because you could also read condensed new stories on it, 3 lines at a time. That fad lasted about a year, then along came company issued cell phones. The company issued cell phones came out of the "employee retention fund". Someone decided we'd all stick around if they gave us the cell phones. Didn't work, but it was a nice benefit. At one point the IRS wanted to tax employees on benefits like that. Would have been awful to have to track business and personal calls. Luckily enough people raised hell that the IRS backed down.

I haven't owned my own cell phone since about 1999. Always company issued/company paid. Was a riot when they sent me up into Canada for training, and kept calling me asking me questions. Racked up a $500 cell phone bill that month and freaked a lot of people out. Was sort of sweet to sit down with the bill and show them all the work calls that cost so much. I think they finally changed the cell phone plans after that.

But, back on topic. Yeah, marine VHF operator was pretty cool. I had a co-worker that had a Motorola VHF HT1000 that had a bunch of ham frequencies in it. He put the local marine operator channel in it and could make phone calls. That was big time right there.

And the last HF marine telephone call I heard was late 80's or early 90's. Was on a ship and picked up a really strong signal out in the gulf of Mexico and realized I was listening to half a phone call from a cruise ship. Full duplex call, could only pick up the ship side.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's hard to remember but I'm using different references for time frames. In my boat it was definitely VHF marine radio in the mid 70s. The old system was still being used but I remember programming 156.8 and 157.1 in my Electra Bearcat 101 for CG so that was around 1975-76. I graduated college in 1975 and had started graduate school then and working 11 to 7 overnight. Using a calling card at payphones and our answering machines had remote access using a handheld box that you put the tone into the phone and it played your messages back when you called it from a payphone, eventually they got number codes.

Car and bag phones didn't show up till the late 80s but then we got the first Motorola flip phones, Gray but with black leather cases which we called the shoe phone. Cellular providers came and went. WorldCom comes to mind. Company always reimbursed us for mileage and cell phone use on a separate check that was never taxed or revealed to anyone. It was a 24/7 job so all my mileage and cell phone use went on that check LOL. Mid-90s it was about $400 a month, far more than I spent but that was the norm, loosey-goosey expense reports.

Calling cards became a thing of the past and eventually so did pay phones and I did own a few more boats that had marine radio, no license needed but at that point you never thought of using Marine telephone, what was the point, but in the late 70s it was a blast.

I wish I still had that marine radio license WM 6934 as a collector's item. Then again I wish I still had my CB license that my dad got me in 1965. KOG 0554 :)

detective1750

Thank you for all the informative responses!!! I should have realized with the internet and satellite and cell phones, it was a done deal as far as listening/monitoring calls.

WB9YBM

I've heard some maritime 'phone patches take place just above the amateur radio 220MHz band--forgot the exact freq.--on some inland (river) waterways...

ecps92

Most of those VHF channels, got auctioned off to the AAA of the waterways, where they made
them into Advertisement Channels, with the ability for users to do a SELF Radio Check

Key up, "Say your message"
Un-Key
Listen to the Sea Tow etc commercial
and then the system plays back your message for you to figure out how good you sounded.
Many years ago it was not an automated system. That's just the current configuration.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
In Virginia, many of the old VHF 'Public Correspondence' channels are now control channels for our statewide P25 trunked system STARS. I think that all locations using those frequencies are west of the Fall Line. (80-100 miles or further from shore) I've been told that they bought the freqs at auction--and they don't appear in the state's normal FCC licenses.

Down in Hampton Roads, at least one tug is using the 'A' side of one of those channels as their onboard working channel. Another may be in use by the Navy

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

Likely applied for thru a "Market" license which covers similar to a Radio/TV Stations market
they can be found, just harder to search

In Virginia, many of the old VHF 'Public Correspondence' channels are now control channels for our statewide P25 trunked system STARS. I think that all locations using those frequencies are west of the Fall Line. (80-100 miles or further from shore) I've been told that they bought the freqs at auction--and they don't appear in the state's normal FCC licenses.

Down in Hampton Roads, at least one tug is using the 'A' side of one of those channels as their onboard working channel. Another may be in use by the Navy

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Likely applied for thru a "Market" license which covers similar to a Radio/TV Stations market
they can be found, just harder to search
Likely true of more than just the old marine channels. They also use a number of CC freqs that don't come from the Public Safety Radio Service, and which don't show up in a lot of license stuff. Fortunately VHF doesn't carry much P25 around here, and we find much of what their is by searching

73/Allen (N4JRI)

ecps92

Yes, those others would be generally Part 22 Frequencies the old Radio Telephone and Paging channels
Likely true of more than just the old marine channels. They also use a number of CC freqs that don't come from the Public Safety Radio Service, and which don't show up in a lot of license stuff. Fortunately VHF doesn't carry much P25 around here, and we find much of what their is by searching

73/Allen (N4JRI)

biomedbob

Premium Subscriber
As owner of a network of ship-to-shore telephone facilities in South Florida, it brought a tear to my eye reading this thread. As I saw the writing on the wall I migrated to one way paging, mobile car phones and cellular. As things progressed I realized there were some really big players in the mix, I obtained a Florida Real Estate Broker's license and spent time finding Cell Sites for both the wire and wireless sides. I now live in Tennessee where the Highway Patrol is using my old frequencies!

KF4RG
Robert Grubb
Monterey, Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.