Ship to Shore (telephone)

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I never really cared to listen to the VHF marine telephone channels much, but I do truly miss the HF telephone service.

My understanding is you'd better have had some spare money in your bank account to use it. I bet INMARSAT service is proportionally cheaper than the old HF maritime telephone.

When I was really new in the radio world, HF Maritime SSB was my first 'Adventure in SSB', along with what ham radio I could pick up.

I'm making myself feel old.

signal500

Premium Subscriber
Most of those VHF channels, got auctioned off to the AAA of the waterways, where they made
them into Advertisement Channels, with the ability for users to do a SELF Radio Check

Key up, "Say your message"
Un-Key
Listen to the Sea Tow etc commercial
and then the system plays back your message for you to figure out how good you sounded.
Sea Tow still to this day has the automated play back system in Destin, FL.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My understanding is you'd better have had some spare money in your bank account to use it. I bet INMARSAT service is proportionally cheaper than the old HF maritime telephone.
It wasn't cheap at the time. But then again getting yourself that far off shore to need HF radiotelephone required some money in the first place.

A rented satellite phone or simply buying your own and paying $50/month for access and 10 minutes of air time is a pretty good option.