Shooting in FL. school. Possibly 20-50 injured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I grew up in Broward County, Miramar and I do not have the words to express my feelings. What has our nation become?

Frozen. The issues cannot be addressed because the dialog to start the change process can't get beyond the name calling and finger pointing stage. After we hear about all the "thoughts and prayers" the yelling will start, and nothing will happen.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Horrifying cell phone footage captures moment gunfire erupted inside Florida high school while terrified, screaming students cowered behind their desks
Cell phone video captures shooting inside Florida school | Daily Mail Online

Blurred out? If you do an internet search you can see the actual footage. NSFW.

This is the 12th school shooting since Jan. 1st. Where are the metal detectors? This is the type of thing the infrastructure money needs to go to.

Why do we keep letting this happen in America?

Infrastructure money needs to stay with the actual infrastructure. That is what it is for. In terms of metal detectors, money should be invested in private security. Armed security that is. In laymen's terms they call it school resource officer or something like that. (man with a gun to take down disgruntled idiots)

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I started monitoring at least 30 minutes after authorities responded, so I don't know what radio conditions were like at the start of the incident. But things seemed normal by the time I tuned in.

Coral Springs and Margate share their own digital trunked system that is separate from the huge Broward County system. They had at least one of their talkgroups patched to a Broward 14-zone interop talkgroup, plus Broward had at least 2 other LEO interop talkgroups active as well as fire using 3 at first, then 4 of the 12-zone interop talkgroups. Plus BSO Tamarac 8A main talkgroup commandeered by S.W.A.T. later on.

For a good while some of those talkgroups were non-stop chatter. Add to that the normal traffic on that system and I can believe there would be a lot of system busies. I recall a Sierra unit mentioning that he was trying to answer, but his radio kept "bonking".

I can't believe they dumped the school buses on that public safety trunked system. Those drivers go on these rants that tie up channels for minutes at a time with totally needless chatter. I sure hope their radios are configured with timeout timers. They really belong on a separate DMR system so they can blab all they want.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
What I see most of them having in common is they don't know how to handle disappointment, criticism, rejection, peer pressure, and failure. Misguided society and well meaning parents have created spoiled, inept, helpless, mentally unbalanced, over medicated social misfits. As long as everything goes their way, they get their new iPhones every year, aren't required to work, or even help out at home, they're fine! Tell them 'NO', tell them they can't have something, they need to make something of themselves, get a job, grow up, and god forbid act responsible and be held accountable all Hell breaks lose!

Agree 100%

Having worked in a school of "well-heeled" children, what you detail there is seen in a broad way. But I don't blame the kids, because, after meeting the parents, I saw why they were like they were.

And I think this type of upbringing of never being disappointed will not bode well for the country over-all in future years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can't believe they dumped the school buses on that public safety trunked system. Those drivers go on these rants that tie up channels for minutes at a time with totally needless chatter. I sure hope their radios are configured with timeout timers. They really belong on a separate DMR system so they can blab all they want.

I agree. I've got our busses on my trunked system and they can talk a -lot-. Very undisciplined.
Setting up talkgroup priorities can address some of that. Teaching radio discipline can address a bit more. Having a system manager not afraid to disable their radios or talk groups is fix a lot.

fredva

Feed Provider
I agree. I've got our busses on my trunked system and they can talk a -lot-. Very undisciplined.
Setting up talkgroup priorities can address some of that. Teaching radio discipline can address a bit more. Having a system manager not afraid to disable their radios or talk groups is fix a lot.

I assumed that assigning talkgroup priorities where police and fire would have the highest priority was a standard practice. Is it not?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I assumed that assigning talkgroup priorities where police and fire would have the highest priority was a standard practice. Is it not?

It is. However, the nice thing about "standards" is there are so many to choose from.

I've seen enough to know people forget. Systems don't get set up correctly. Changes get made but not saved. User error. Etc…..

We lost ours when the backup battery on the old 6809 controller leaked out and we had a extended power failure due to a fire on site. System came back on line, but all our SAC were wiped. Everyone before me seemed to think the backup battery would last forever and there were no needs for a backup.

diana8

Premium Subscriber
Lets for a minute if we can, take guns out of the equation. There are dozens of other ways for someone to accomplish their evil goals without guns. Instead look at the kinds of people that carry out these attacks.

What I see most of them having in common is they don't know how to handle disappointment, criticism, rejection, peer pressure, and failure. Misguided society and well meaning parents have created spoiled, inept, helpless, mentally unbalanced, over medicated social misfits. As long as everything goes their way, they get their new iPhones every year, aren't required to work, or even help out at home, they're fine! Tell them 'NO', tell them they can't have something, they need to make something of themselves, get a job, grow up, and god forbid act responsible and be held accountable all Hell breaks lose!

I agree with you, but I would add a second class of individuals, that also needs be addressed. And, that is those who have mental illness and as part of their illness don't like to take their medication as they don't think there is anything wrong with them, whose families know that there are issues, but are told because they are over the age of 18, there is nothing can be done to force them into treatment until they are a threat to themselves and/or someone else, at which point it is much too late.

If we could get a handle on these two classes of individuals, we could not only dramatically reduce the violence in the country, but also we could see a reduction in the opioid/drug epidemic and the number of people in our prison system.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree with you, but I would add a second class of individuals, that also needs be addressed. And, that is those who have mental illness and as part of their illness don't like to take their medication as they don't think there is anything wrong with them, whose families know that there are issues, but are told because they are over the age of 18, there is nothing can be done to force them into treatment until they are a threat to themselves and/or someone else, at which point it is much too late.

It's almost like we need something, like a law, that would prevent those with diagnosed mental illnesses from owning firearms.

Oh, wait….. That inconvenienced someone, so the law was removed. Now who, exactly, did it inconvenience?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If we could get a handle on these two classes of individuals, we could not only dramatically reduce the violence in the country, but also we could see a reduction in the opioid/drug epidemic and the number of people in our prison system.

But, that wouldn't be fair to the drug companies. Or the corporate run prisons. Or their shareholders.

SCPD

QRT
APX, Harris, doesn't matter. If a system is built cheap or half arsed the flaws will eventually show themself in heavy situations. A well built system, Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Harris you name with proper engineering, study, testing, site placements and capacity you won't have issues to minimal. Many don't have these issues who went about it properly.

SCPD

QRT
It's almost like we need something, like a law, that would prevent those with diagnosed mental illnesses from owning firearms.

Oh, wait….. That inconvenienced someone, so the law was removed. Now who, exactly, did it inconvenience?

Problem is depending where you are at, some employers to law enforcement employ people on adderall, other psych meds and won't touch the issue in fear of a lawsuit or hippa violation.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Margate is still on the County Smartzone. They have their own talkgroups.

Coral Springs did a patch on CS JIOP-1 to BSO’s channel. Coral Springs, Plantation and Fort Lauderdale have already migrated to the new Broward P25 Phase II system. They share the core (which is actually owned by Motorola not the County) but have their own subsites. Plantation is the only one running TDMA. Hollywood is still their own site of the Smartzone...will most likely become their own site off the new P25 as well.

The County is in the progress of moving non-public safety users to a County DMR system. This will also increase capacity.

Again, you can have all the design and capacity in the world. The bottom line is, when the call went out, everything was initially on BSO 8A. Only one subscriber can transmit at a time, and that’s why the Sierra unit said he was getting bonked. I watched his radio on Unitrunker as it was happening. Everyone was keying up at the same time. Same thing happened during the shooting at FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2NEC

A large school like this totally unprotected? No security? No police?
What are they thinking down there in this day and age? The perp even manages to get away for a while and luckily caught.
Lots of hard questions for the folks running things in that area..

My school has an SRO but by the time they know shots are being fired and where, there would already be too many casualties. That is why we practice defending ourselves against a shooter. I go to a tech school and they tell us to grab books, pipes, tools, anything capable of getting the gun out of a shooter's hands.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
My school has an SRO but by the time they know shots are being fired and where, there would already be too many casualties. That is why we practice defending ourselves against a shooter. I go to a tech school and they tell us to grab books, pipes, tools, anything capable of getting the gun out of a shooter's hands.

Maybe that is the conversation this Country needs about school security.
Students shouldn't have to grab inanimate objects to defend themselves though a nice backup idea. Students are counting on adults to take care of them in school.The adults down there dropped the ball on that one.
Strange in the US that local companies with say 200-500 or more employees have guards and security yet a 3000 student size school had obvious zip for entryway type security.
Also the local Sheriff needs to answer for how this perp even managed to get out after long time shooting up the place.
Don't cops cover the back doors anymore? Were they sitting in their cars awaiting a Swat team for an hour and a half?
Lots of questions still unanswered about how this tragic event was handled.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Ok I see by official timeline released he got done shooting in about 8 minutes before heading out..
Much faster than I expected.. No wonder police arriving on scene missed him..
That still sounds like a awfully fast timeline for a little turd like him..

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Why did the other Parkland thread get closed so abruptly?

The FBI contacted me and asked to have it closed. :roll:

Seriously though, why have two threads discussing the exact same thing, And I'm not sure I'd call over 24 hours "abruptly".

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Mark....(from news reports)...there was an armed Deputy at the school at the time of the shooting. He was in a different area of the school. 3,000 students so it’s a large school.

If you listened to the audio, there were multiple conflicting reports of where he was inside the school. One caller said that the shooter was fighting with someone. Other callers reporting him in a specific classroom number, which was actually arriving units clearing the building.

The shooter was recognized by school personnel walking up to school. I believe it was actually radio’d over their school channel, followed very quickly with a “code red” once gunshots were heard.

The time he approached the school was at dismissal. Easier to blend in. Doors are opened and closed so easier to gain access. There are reports that he pulled the fire alarm to lure kids out of classrooms and into the hallway or “fatal funnel.”

He dropped his weapon and magazines/backpack and blended in with people leaving. Remember, the first arriving units came upon a gunshot victim. They radioed it. Other units were radioing asking if the victim knew where the shooter went. Those units left to victim (unknown if he was deceased or not) to enter the school and seek out the shooter.

By the time the call comes in, gets out on the radio, units respond, etc. the damage is already done. Remember, the calls starting coming into 911 AFTER bullets are already flying.

Bottom line, the only way to stop a bad gun with a gun from killing mass amounts of people is to have a good guy with a gun there, at the time the bullets start flying or to recognize the threat and take action before. No one wants to turn our schools into prisons. But our most valuable assets is our children. We protect our money in banks, safes, and vaults and armed guards transport it. We protect our leaders with security details that are armed. We protect our homes with locks and fences and alarms. We need to protect our most valuable assets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.