Shooting Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
I don't hear anything related until about 4 minutes into the 12:07-12:37 archive where Metro is asking for help with traffic control and only requests one, maybe two, units.

br0adband

The only activity that was able to be monitored was the CCFD and EMS units rolling to the scene earlier over the S.N.A.C.C. system - LVMPD still uses OpenSky so that'll never be something we can listen in on. They're currently getting their P25 Phase 2 system underway so, the hope is that when it's up and running it won't be fully encrypted and we'll at least be able to monitor them again in the future (given you have hardware capable of P25 Phase 2 reception since DSD/DSD+ still don't yet offer that capability).

Sad day here in Las Vegas for the LVMPD, sad day for everyone really. My Wife and I regularly eat at a Cici's that's in the same shopping area that a Walmart is (at Charleston and Decatur) but this tragedy occurred at some other location in Las Vegas, not that we were at Cici's today however. As soon as I saw mention of a Cici's and then a Walmart my thoughts drifted to the typical "What if... we'd been there... when that happened" but that's just something anyone would do in the same situation I guess.

Even so, it just seems like the world is getting worse by the second. :(

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Metro Air has two or more patches on the OpenSky system that get patched to which ever Area Command they are patrolling. Those patches get patched into the SNACC-P25 system. Air Talkgroup-1 (as they refer to it) was patched to the Northeast Area Command at the time and therefore was monitorable on SNACC-P25 TGID 527. Air Talkgroup-2 is patched to SNACC-P25 on TGID 529. I listened to the whole thing. At first i thought it was just training. Then it became very obvious that it wasn't. While it was wrapping up, Metro Air asked to be patched to Bolden Area Command and that was the last i heard from the Metro side on the matter. So then i listened to CCFD. It is truly a sad day when law enforcement can't even have a meal without being on guard.

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Also as a side note. The Northeast Area Command started dispatching on SNACC's Interoperability Channel 10 for "normal" calls.
I know after every one of these incidents, the thing is to start posting about how no one could talk to anyone. Take what you want from it but Metro used OpenSky, SNACC and a patch to SNACC-P25 during this incident without confusion IMHO.

com501

The civilian at Wal-Mart was a concealed carry holder who confronted the male.

What he failed to do was be situationally aware of what was going on around him, the female took him out while his attention was on the male shooter. He also did not have proper cover to shoot from.

Kudos, however, even if he is dead, he delayed the couple long enough to get them to commit suicide rather than face further gun battle (one was wounded).

SCPD

QRT
Metro Air has two or more patches on the OpenSky system that get patched to which ever Area Command they are patrolling. Those patches get patched into the SNACC-P25 system. Air Talkgroup-1 (as they refer to it) was patched to the Northeast Area Command at the time and therefore was monitorable on SNACC-P25 TGID 527. Air Talkgroup-2 is patched to SNACC-P25 on TGID 529. I listened to the whole thing. At first i thought it was just training. Then it became very obvious that it wasn't. While it was wrapping up, Metro Air asked to be patched to Bolden Area Command and that was the last i heard from the Metro side on the matter. So then i listened to CCFD. It is truly a sad day when law enforcement can't even have a meal without being on guard.

I also caught the same incident on the same TG and as you thought it was an training exercise, I have been monitoring law enforcement for over 45 years and have not heard such a action packed radio transmission in in my years of scanning, yes they did change the patch to Bolden but after the situation was under control and in clean up mode

Only thing I was not clear, when SWAT was clearing the building they mentioned the civilian needing medical assistance on isle 11 was he the person who challenged the shooter and died or someone else

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I was not clear, when SWAT was clearing the building they mentioned the civilian needing medical assistance on isle 11 was he the person who challenged the shooter and died or someone else

I know what you are talking about and for some reason i keep thinking it was the female shooter that was in aisle 11. The person who challenged the shooter was at the front of the store. It was definitely chaotic and hard to follow at points. The fact that we both thought it was nothing more than training says something for how well they are trained.

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
I thought Las Vegas Nevada was on open sky and no Scanner cannot pick it up at that it's at this time

They are on OpenSky, but they've been periodically patching some of those talkgroups to the SNACC and/or LVMPD P25 systems.

SCPD

QRT
I know what you are talking about and for some reason i keep thinking it was the female shooter that was in aisle 11. The person who challenged the shooter was at the front of the store. It was definitely chaotic and hard to follow at points. The fact that we both thought it was nothing more than training says something for how well they are trained.

Yes I was super impressed by how well everything was handled, thus giving the impression "this got be training" the details over the air to members was impressive, best example when SWAT in plain clothes entered the build the broadcast to all members of caution, holding the air when necessary, well done

Traveling in the area of 215 and Anne this morning I was stopped at a red light and NW car with two members pulled up next to me, I could not help myself passing along support to the members in uniform.
The response was a big smile thank you, enough said. Noticed crowds on strip also paying there respects to members on patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.