Shopping for my new Mobile Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Ok so what am I missing for my new mobile setup? I am trying to put all the pieces together and make sure I do not miss anything:

Icom IC 7100
Comet CF-706 Duplexer
Diamond K400 Mount
Diamond K400 3/8s Mount
Diamond SG7900A
Little Tarheel II

That is the list I have right now – wow what an expensive little endeavor. Let me know if I missed anything or thoughts.

Thanks, N1IC

KC9AXZ

That will be a awesome setup! Don't forget ground straps. All screwdriver antennas are very dependent on a good ground. If you don't have a good ground most likely your antenna wont tune.

I'm jealous of that setup. I currently have a Yaesu F100D with a ATAS 120 antenna for HF. I use a Kenwood D710 for VHF/UHF. I'd love to put a IC-7100 and Tarheel on the truck.

Jon

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
That will be a awesome setup! Don't forget ground straps. All screwdriver antennas are very dependent on a good ground. If you don't have a good ground most likely your antenna wont tune.

I'm jealous of that setup. I currently have a Yaesu F100D with a ATAS 120 antenna for HF. I use a Kenwood D710 for VHF/UHF. I'd love to put a IC-7100 and Tarheel on the truck.

Jon

Thank you for the grounding advice. I have never owned a tarheel so it's great advice. I had the ATAS120 on my old car and I really had good luck with mine. I worked all of EU and SA from my driveway in Connecticut without any issues. If I could hear it I could hit it.

I am selling my 7000 to get the 7100 - while I love Dstar I hasn't caught on like I hoped. I do have two friends that I keep in touch on Dstar and I think it would be great to have in the truck with me.

I did add a Turbo Tuner on the list of things that I will need.

-Nick

prcguy

Looks like a reasonable setup. Why do you list the duplexer? The radio has a connector for HF/6m (Tarheel) and one for VHF/UHF (Diamond SG-7900A) so there should be no need for it.

I run an older Icom 706MKIIG with Tarheel 100HP and Ameritron SDC-102 memory tuner and its awesome on HF. My VHF/UHF antennas change on a regular basis but my favorite is probably the big Larsen 2/70 with open coil.

I originally had a Tarheel 75 but later got an SGC 500w amp and had to upgrade since the model 75 was rated at 250w. The Tarheel 75 screwdriver was a big improvement over Hamsticks and other antennas I had used in the past, especially on 40/80m and going to the model 100HP was another noticeable jump in performance.
prcguy

Ok so what am I missing for my new mobile setup? I am trying to put all the pieces together and make sure I do not miss anything:

Icom IC 7100
Comet CF-706 Duplexer
Diamond K400 Mount
Diamond K400 3/8s Mount
Diamond SG7900A
Little Tarheel II

That is the list I have right now – wow what an expensive little endeavor. Let me know if I missed anything or thoughts.

Thanks, N1IC

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Great point on the duplexer!! Thanks!

Are you saying that the 75 is a huge step up from the Little II a swell?

prcguy

I have not owned a little Tarheel but on 40/80m there should be a noticeable difference based on size and coil diameter. If you had any success at all with the marginal (I'm trying to be kind) ATAS120 then you will be happy with the Little Tarheel. Go as big as possible on the HF antenna, it makes all the difference.
prcguy

Great point on the duplexer!! Thanks!

Are you saying that the 75 is a huge step up from the Little II a swell?

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to do with the little as I don't do much on 80 but I do use 40. If I can't get the results I'm looking for I'll then readdress.

Status
Not open for further replies.