Short HF dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.
My work keeps me away from home 2 weeks at work one at home my room here as one window about five feet horizontal was wondering if with a 6 or seven foot 20 gauge copper wire and a balun. Outside my window would do the job for dxing weak signals (pirate stations) I cannot set up anything else here my radio is a alinco dx-r8t

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Such a dipole would be highly inefficient at freqs at the end of the 6 Mhz (49m) broadcast band where pirates like to hang out (although they are on other bands, too...). It would work, but not very well.

How good are you with homebrewing? A Carpet Loop would be one possibility here. The other would be an antenna I built years ago, and used with a tuner - fairly effective if a bit oddball...

The Carpet Loop -- antenna special on hard-core-dx.com

The McGyver(tm) special - The RadioReference Wiki

Much as I don't like active antennas due to the fact they are more noise-prone when mounted indoors, this is a possibility;

Active Antenna 10kHz - 30 MHz

or this...

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

And finally, I'm pretty sure Wellbrook has an indoor model loop - likely that's a much better bet than a short dipole... Those are just a few possibilities. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.