Short mobile scanner antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I’m looking for a great 108-900mhz monitor antenna with a NMO mount. I have used the PCTEL (MAXRAD) BMAXSCAN1000 for many years and I this is one of my favorite antennas. I recently tried the Larsen 150/450/800 and it seems to do a little better on VHF and UHF. I do not like the design of the Larsen as much as the PCTEL antenna. The Larsen antenna seems like cheap plastic and looks a little odd with the load being up higher.

What is everyone’s take on the best short (around 16”) mobile scanner antenna? Have I found the best antennas, or is there something else that is worth a look?

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
If it ain't broke ....

Quoting Tim Allen “If it ain’t broke, you can probably still fix it!” Granted, Tim Allen might not always have the best advice…

I put a lot of stock in product reviews. This is why I chose the antennas above in the first place. I also have high expectations for radio equipment. I encourage anyone to share their experience with these antennas, or other antennas they have used. This is not simply for my benefit, but for everyone reading. If there is another great product out there that we have overlooked, it would be nice to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.