shortwave antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrcey

I got a nice shortwave for Christmas and would like to add a antenna to it and really be able to enjoy the radio....

I could use some info on where to tune in so some great radio show..

Thanks for all your help..
Chris.

k9rzz

What shortwave radio do you have? That will help us tell you what kind of antenna it can take.

The simplest antenna is just a piece of wire. See photo below.

To find broadcasts in English, you can try this one: Search Results for English SWL Broadcasters at 0154
or my favorite lately: Short-Wave Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH at 01:54GMT

Welcome aboard!!

endfedrandlongwire.GIF

chrcey

I can"t believe i did not say what radio I have.. Sorry about that..

I have the Grundig/eton S350DL

chrcey

I was looking those slinky antenna that are 85ft long on ebay.. But I know nothing about them....

k9rzz

Honestly, save your money because I don't think you'll hear any more with the slinky than you will with just a piece of wire. They are more important for ham operators who need to transmit on a tuned antenna. Additionally, the connectors on your radio won't be compatable.

You won't be missing out with just a piece of wire. Really.

Edit: if you're dying to buy something that will help, think about a simple antenna tuner

2964.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/preamps/2964.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-MFJ-956-SHO...ItemQQptZShortwave_Radios?hash=item53dec03792

I use one of these and they work great.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Watch how much wire you put on that radio. If memory serves, it's a single conversion set - so you're going to be hearing stuff in places they shouldn't be. Overloading it with too much wire is simply going to make things worse.

As for English schedules, I would highly recommend the NASWA spreadsheet, which I understand now has a separate worksheet for this. It's available from this website. (anything in blue is a link). You will need a program like WinZip to extract the compressed file.

73 Mike

Ken_Allen

If you use too much wire on the grundigs, they overload and image VERY easily.

810 and 1540 locally come in on every single channel on my little G5. I can still get in people from europe and all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.