Shortwave Receiver / General Coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Hello. =)

What shortwave or general coverage receiver would you recommend? I have search through many different types such as the Grundig Satellit 750. I really enjoy the look of the FRG-100, but I realized it was long discontinued. Now I'm looking at radios between the Satellit 750, The Yaesu VR-5000, and The ICOM products such as IC-R1500, IC-R2500 IC-R75. I have read reviews on all those products and its difficult to make a choice. Just like the scanners, so many mixed reviews on the products confuse me after a while. I'm afraid to purchase equipment and be extremely unsatisfied with it. I own an ICOM 706MII-G, and to me it has amazing Rx. If I purchased an ICOM Receiver could I expect the same performance? I'm not sure if it's true, but I read about the wide coverage (500khz to 3Ghz) equipment is extremely open to interference, where a tighter receiver isn't as bad. True?

I look forward to your thoughts and opinions. Thank you!

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You haven't said very much about what you want to use this second receiver for. You already have a fine receiver in that 706 (in fact, doesn't that have 2 VFOs?) and I'm going to assume here that you have the room for antennas (I'm a cave dweller - strongly envious!).

It's true that the lower end wideband models are prone to intermod and overload issues; once you get into the (discontinued) R8500 model range, issues like these are much less of a problem. The VR5000 is famous for this issue, and I wouldn't trust a R1500 or R2500 on the East Coast with a substantial antenna either. The workhorse is, by far, the R75.

The 750 is a quirky receiver that could have been much better with just a little effort; see the comments by hertzian in the HF/MW/LW forum (to where this thread will be moved). If you're already a a ham who is familiar with Icom equipment, and want a second rx (I assume you are), the R75 is the hands down choice. 73 Mike

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
From my personal experience, there is no single do-it-all receiver - save the very expensive Icom R9500 or the older R9000. The R8500 was suppose to be a mid-range model but I've read that the HF side is just 'okay.' You have to pay to get that kind of performance however.

If you have a 706MKIIG then you really don't need anything else for HF. You might want to focus on a wide-band scanner for everything else above HF.

The Uniden scanners are generally very good as are most of the GRE models.

Again, it just depends on what you're wanting to listen to.

woody_46

The R75 is always a good choice. I have both an R75 and R8500, the sensitivity is very close on both, edge goes to the R75 . Edge to the R 8500 selectivity on sideband with narrower filtering, 2.2 vs 2.4 on the R75. Sound quality is also better on the R8500. Both great receivers.

Oh... both have good frontend filtering to resist overload. Pretty sure on par with your 706.

Last edited:

Delta

Thank you for the reply. I think I would save for the IC-R75. I really wish it had the analog meter. Also, nickcarr thank you very much for your advice, but you did see the price of the IC R9500? You could purchase like three really great used cars for the same price of that radio and one brand new car! Lol That's just to much. :eek:

It'll take a couple months to save up for the R75, but seems like a great choice. It seems to have the best reviews out of the bunch.

Thank you for reading and posting ;)

If you do get the R75 - be sure to join the R75 Yahoo! group - and in the file section is Phil's cookbook for the R75. I own the R75, and after using those settings it made a huge difference.

SCPD

QRT
Why would you want to buy an Icom R-75 when you own an Icom 706? :confused:

The R-75 is a decent receiver, but it's 11+ years old now. It is still selling well because no one else has a competent receiver to compete with it at that price point.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that the age of a receiver is necessarily a totally reliable indicator of it's quality or usefulness. I had an R75 once, and personally I wasn't all that impressed (and I am an Icom fan). Even to this day, I still like the Drake R8A/B receivers and will always have one of those on my desk. Based on my own experiences, I've yet to find any other receiver in the same price range that can compare in overall operation. Saying that, I know that many out there think the Drake's are old technology, but to me, they just plain work, and work well.

As for comparing the 706 with the R75, again, from my own experience, I've generally found I prefer a dedicated receiver over a "general coverage" transceiver (depending on the quality of the receiver of course). But, I have never used a 706, so I can't really provide a direct comparison.

k9rzz

The IC706xxx has a good general coverage HF receiver as I hear tons of stuff in the car with just a 3 ft whip on the roof. Even more if I put the Hamstick whip on there. The AM selectivity could be a bit narrower in the wide position for my taste, although when you kick in the 'narrow' SSB filter and tune 1khz low or high to just pick up one side band, it's okay. Works great for those maritime or aeronautical SSB stations as well as the ham bands of course. Longwave sux of course and it's 'okay' on mediumwave. Noise blanker seems pretty effective as I drive through noisy areas, and the bandpass filter works well. Would you hear more with an R8 or R-75? Maybe some of the real gems buried in the crud, but for just general listening, or moderately serious DXing, I think it's fine. I don't know how it would do if you put a REAL antenna on it, like a 300 meter beverage, or a big HF yagi. Of course, you can't have too many radios, so by all means, get another one and do your own comparisons!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I think John got right to the point of the matter. Just what level of SWL'ing is one wanting to do. I think for the very serious, weak signal DX'er, I would take my R8A over any radio within the same price structure. Sure it doesn't have DSP, but DSP isn't always the panacea that some hype it up to be. The Drakes (and the R75 from what I recall) is very sensitive, and with five well chosen bandwidths to select from, as well as an effective NB, and very good sync detector (not the best mind you), it is a real performer. It really shines on MW, and is certainly no slouch on SW. With the R75, you gotta like the twin PBT! As with any receiver though, the antenna can make or break your setup.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think a lot of this has to do with knowing how to use the radio. Whether you're a ham or just a listener, that's a major part of being able to understand how to hear something, and how to clean it up when it's being interfered with. I wouldn't even know where to start with a TS2000, but I'm sure I could figure out how to use a 706 in short order.

73 Mike

nanZor

Whoa there - you already have a much better receiver than the Grundig 750 Satelit for sure. I like mine for what it is - a lightweight plastic lunchbox rx that is fun to take to the garage, backyard, bedside table, etc - BUT it is really an introductory / casual use only type of radio especially since you have the 706.

The Grundig 750 would be a major step downwards into the very low cost bracket. Not to mention that if you copy utility / amateur ssb nets, you'll go nuts manually adjusting the rf-gain to prevent overload.

I guess the best thing to do is identify the actual need for an upgrade before throwing in the towel on the 706.

Status
Not open for further replies.