Shortwave Station based on location

Status
Not open for further replies.

widowsson

Ryan:

I started shortwave listening in Anchorage in the early 1970's. I did a LOT of listening in Kodiak when I worked at the control tower at the airport in 1983 & 1984.

There was plenty to listen to then (yes, it was long ago) and the Asian and Pacific stations were great. So was Radio Moscow at the height of the Cold War.

I was using a Sony ICF-6700W receiver at the time. I think your success will largely be determined by your antenna and it's matching to your receiver.

You've had a lot of help with that already. I'm interested in hearing what you're getting from ADQ now compared with what I was getting way back then.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've been able to hear a lot more with a better antenna I was able to hide along the back of my house. Still getting New Zealand in the early mornings. I was also able to pick up aircraft crossing the Pacific on HF 13339. That's more entertaining than anything else I've listened to. The controller is out of SFO airport. I've been able to hear Cuba and a classic rock station out of Miami. I purchased an Icom r75 yesterday so I'm eager to get that set up when it arrives.

ridgescan

I've been able to hear a lot more with a better antenna I was able to hide along the back of my house. Still getting New Zealand in the early mornings. I was also able to pick up aircraft crossing the Pacific on HF 13339. That's more entertaining than anything else I've listened to. The controller is out of SFO airport. I've been able to hear Cuba and a classic rock station out of Miami. I purchased an Icom r75 yesterday so I'm eager to get that set up when it arrives.
You are going to have a lot of fun with that R75! One of the best rigs out there. Smart buy.

I'm excited, also, didn't get orders to Petaluma after all, I'm headed to Michigan this summer. Excited to see what I hear down in that part of the country.

KG5TQZ

I'm a little late to this discussion. Like Widdowsson, I was listening in the early 70's from Anchorage when there were an order of magnitude more stations brodcasting. Even so, I was mostly picking up stations from Australia. I was rarely able to get any US stations. Just something about the way the RF propagates.

When I moved back to the Lower 48, I lost my Australia feeds and found I really missed them. Instead, I seemed to get a crap load of Castro's jamming and so lost interest in SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.