Shortwave

Spartanman

Is an SDR RTL V3. The problem is that i use the default antenna that comes with it...

IQ_imbalance

Premium Subscriber
Can you? Yes. Will it be satisfying? Maybe, maybe not. The SDR RTL are pretty prone to RFI, and you'll need an antenna and feedline system that gets away from the (probably) RFI generating computer used to run the SDR RTL.

If you're really interested in SW you might look at SDRs specifically built for that. Afedri, KiwiSDR, AirSpy HF+, etc.

Can you elaborate about your listening location? Apartment, house, big yard or fields available, etc? That's going to determine what kind of antenna(s) you can get away with...and that will be key to your listening enjoyment.

Last edited:
It will probably be enough for one or the other international radio station.
Also intended for local or powerful utility stations. However, if you want to
delve deeper into shortwave reception, this SDR will probably not be the best choice.
I would also recommend an AirSpy, SDRplay or KIWI SDR.

Another thing that you may have missed is that it that you need to turn on "Direct Sample Mode" to receive shortwave with the RTL-Sticks.
If you are using SdrGlut, you select "Direct Sample Mode" ON from the right click popup menu. Other programs (gqrx,CubicSDR) have different ways of turning on the "Direct Sample Mode" that you will need.

Dirk_SDR

Is an SDR RTL V3. The problem is that i use the default antenna that comes with it...
With the RTL SDR V3 you can receive HF in direct sampling mode, but if your main interest is HF this solution will not make you happy. It's just an addon to a normal RTL SDR stick.
If you want to hear mainly HF, I suggest the Airspy HF+ Discovery.