• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Shot in the dark antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

I had a base station antenna back in the 90's that I can't recall the name of..hoping someone here might know the name.

I remember it being made of aluminum, and in a few 8ft sections that basically were telescoping pieces. You'd usually mark it at each section with a sharpie once you had your best SWR.

I might be describing an Antron 99..I'm not sure if that's correct or not. I do remember it being a great base antenna and would love to get my hands on another.

prcguy

Need a lot more info. How tall? Ground radials, if so how many, or small ring at the bottom or none or?? Any attachment on the top like little wires, loops, etc?

I had a base station antenna back in the 90's that I can't recall the name of..hoping someone here might know the name.

I remember it being made of aluminum, and in a few 8ft sections that basically were telescoping pieces. You'd usually mark it at each section with a sharpie once you had your best SWR.

I might be describing an Antron 99..I'm not sure if that's correct or not. I do remember it being a great base antenna and would love to get my hands on another.

n5ims

Base station..for...CB? HF? 2m/440?

Since this is the CB forum, I'd go with that as your starting point for any answers. If they posted to the wrong forum, then they'll get answers that aren't what they're looking for and request a move to the correct forum.

wowologist

Certifiable
We'll here were probably the most popular at the time and I think they ran that line until the mid 90's for CB base station. Then I think they added 2 more from what I think were at the time rebranded/reboxed Regency which were rebranded from someone else...This is of course if it was a literally mass produced for the masses antenna...that could be bought at the local shack.

Attachments

• the shack cb base ants.gif
    the shack cb base ants.gif
    171.1 KB · Views: 37

Josh380

This would be for a CB. Hard to say how tall it was..there were at least 3 sections that I believe were 8 ft in length so 24 ft or less (for SWR). No radials.

prcguy

Was it just a smooth aluminum pole with mounting bracket or did it have a 1ft across aluminum tuning ring at the bottom like the attached picture or any other parts that might identify it? What did the mast mount look like?

1602731838843.png

Nope. This was all aluminum, from coax connection to tip. According to a Google spec search, the Solarcon IMAX 2000 is fiberglass.

Josh380

Was it just a smooth aluminum pole with mounting bracket or did it have a 1ft across aluminum tuning ring at the bottom or any other parts that might identify it? What did the mast mount look like?
Smooth aluminum, mounting bracket at the bottom (see previous reply)..similar to a walkie talkie telescoping antenna but on a much larger scale. No tuning ring. SWR was adjustable at each section by telescoping down or up, depending on your SWR.

prcguy

Just a comment, any antenna like this with no ground radials or decoupling would be, well, basically a piece of sh*t antenna. Its fun to identify what you might have used years ago but an antenna like this is not worth pursuing unless for sentimental value. You can get a much better performing antenna for not much $$ these days.

Josh380

Just a comment, any antenna like this with no ground radials or decoupling would be, well, basically a piece of sh*t antenna. Its fun to identify what you might have used years ago but an antenna like this is not worth pursuing unless for sentimental value. You can get a much better performing antenna for not much $$ these days.
Eh..that may be. I seem to remember having a good SWR with it..my stepdad had one at his cabin and I was talking skip to Tennessee like he was right next door with only 25 watts. Granted that was in the 90s when conditions were a little more favorable, but it did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.