• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Should BoaFeng transmit while syncing with Chirp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson1522

I'm using one of the $5 cables to program my BoaFeng UV-5RE. Everything seems to work great. It downloads, clones, accepts changes, and uploads fine. I installed no drivers, and didn't change any default settings.

However, I notice the orange transmit light on the BoaFeng comes on while it's connected to the PC. I've kept it to a quiet frequency and I've removed the antenna. Is this normal? Is it really transmitting, or does the light come on when the radio is connected via the cable?

Johnson1522

Thanks. I heard tons of warnings about the cheap cable, but it works fine other than that issue.

I hate to buy another cable since I'll probably use this one rarely anyway. Do you think pulling the antenna is a valid solution?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
However, I notice the orange transmit light on the BoaFeng comes on while it's connected to the PC. I've kept it to a quiet frequency and I've removed the antenna. Is this normal? Is it really transmitting, or does the light come on when the radio is connected via the cable?

Trash the cable. And transmitting with no antenna is a good way to fry the radio.

Get a cable with a FTDI chip.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue with my BF-F9 radios.
Here is what I did as a workaround:
Program channel 1 to some goofy freq. (I think I use 137.000)
Set that channel's TX to off (now it won't transmit on channel 1)
When you hook up the cable to program it won't transmit anymore
and you won't be trying to transmit without an antenna

Sconnick

Not the cable.

Just roll back the USB driver and that cable will work fine. That's a common problem.

Miklor is a great resource.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That won't solve the problem making the radio TX when the cable is inserted. That is caused by a defective cable with a short in the connector.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Oh for heaven's sake. The light flashes indicating that it is downloading the code plug data. It's in the manual. :lol:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The light is supposed to flash when data is being transmitted or received. It is NOT supposed to be on constantly while the cable is plugged in.

mjfruth

Try plugging in the cable when the radio is off. I had the same problem with my 3R.....I figured out it was shorting when I was plugging it in and somehow latching the transmit on...... Not sure why.....

I'm pretty sure this is physical and has nothing to do with drivers or which chip set the cable is based on.

Sent from a device without a rotary dial....

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Oh for heaven's sake. The light flashes indicating that it is downloading the code plug data. It's in the manual. :lol:

This IS a know bug with the Baofeng / Pofung radios.
All 5 of mine do it. As soon as I power the radio
it automatically keys down on Channel 1 and transmits
a dead carrier until I actually start the download. Which
is why I programmed some goofy channel into #1 slot.
Not a solution, not a fix, but definitely a workaround.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This IS a know bug with the Baofeng / Pofung radios.
All 5 of mine do it. As soon as I power the radio
it automatically keys down on Channel 1 and transmits
a dead carrier until I actually start the download.

No, it's a short in your cable. I have about a dozen Baofengs, and have programmed a similar number of radios for others, and NONE of them TX during programming. I once had a cable that had a short that caused the behavior you describe. I trashed it and got a decent cable and the problem went away.

Sconnick

Not necessarily

That won't solve the problem making the radio TX when the cable is inserted. That is caused by a defective cable with a short in the connector.

I have programmed many Baofeng radios, and I have fixed the problem several times on different computers by rolling back the driver.

Directly from the Miklor website, which is the unofficial master reference for all things Baofeng:

3.13 Radio transmits while Programming
1 - Make sure the USB end is plugged in. Removing the USB end of a programming cable before unplugging the 2-pin plug from the radio (while it is still powered on) will cause the radio to transmit.
2 - Make sure a compatible device driver is installed (mostly related to Prolific type USB-to-TTL chips)
3 - Make sure that VOX is set to OFF.

Hey, if the OP wants to toss the cord, I'll take it and give it a try. Drivers are free and worth a try.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1 and 3 do not match the OP's situation.

As to 2, the fake Prolific driver issue isn't worth the hassle. Many of the cables with counterfeit Prolific chips won't work no matter what driver you use. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And I've been in the IT world professionally for over 20 years. You can screw around with them for hours, and you may get them working, and you may not. It's a total crapshoot.

OTOH, you get a FTDI cable, and all you have to do is plug it in and it will work. And you won't have constant-TX problems.

Sconnick

I understand that #1 and #3 don't apply, I simply copied the section covering "Radio Transmits While Programming."

I've clearly not had the bad experience that you have with cloned programming cables. For me, it takes about three minutes to change the driver and I'm up and running. Just thought the OP might like another option before chucking the cable.

Also, you are right about transmitting without the antenna - that's a good way to fry any radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I did get one fake-Prolific cable to work in about 10 minutes using an old driver, but it was for a Stryker radio with a different plug. The others (with Kenwood plugs) never worked no matter what driver I used, and had the constant-TX problem.

Sconnick

Interesting. I've been using the same "fake" cable for a number of years now, and I know that if I use it on a new machine, I have to change the driver, but it's always worked for me. I guess it's the luck of the draw on those cables. If it gave me headaches like you've had, I'd probably just buy the real-deal, too.

I've had this one so long, I don't even remember where I got it from. Probably Amazon, from a seller that's long out of business.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen, the key here is to turn the radio OFF before plugging in the cable.

1. Launch CHIRP (or default CPS)
  2. Turn OFF radio
  3. Plug in programming cable to radio firmly
  4. Plug in programming cable to computer
  5. Listen for the 'connect tone' from the computer
  6. Turn ON radio
  7. Read/Write radio as needed
  8. Turn OFF radio
  9. Unplug programming cable

Sconnick

I used to think that was my problem back in the beginning - years ago, but with the driver rolled back, I can hot swap the radio without turning it off and I still don't have the TX problem.

That being said, it's probably a very, very, very good habit to turn the radio off when connecting and disconnecting anything. Hot swapping can only lead to trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.