Should I Bother Adding A Serial Port To My New Desktop Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I finally broke down and bought a new desktop computer about a month ago. It is in the same area as my Uniden BCD996XT. I have Butel ARC-XT software on the old computer that has been moved to the basement. In fact, as we speak it is connected to my Uniden 396XT. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I ant to even both adding a serial port to the new computer. About the only thing I ever used it for is:

-Butel ARC-XT PRO With The Uniden BCD996XT, and

-Programming My Yaesu FT-8800 with FTB8800 Software

On the one hand, I think I can add a serial port fairly reasonably. That would allow me to use the cable that came with the 996XT with it and the basement computer can be connected to the 396XT with its serial cable. On the other hand, I can spring for a USB cable for the new computer to work with the 996XT and not bother with a serial cable. I guess for the few times that I use FTB8800 to program the Yaesu FT-8800, I can use the basement computer. Also, I will probably get a Uniden Home Patrol at some point in the future, but I think that USB cable for the Home Patrol is different than the USB cable for the 396XT/996XT. Can anybody confirm that? Anyway, for those of you that have bought newer computers in the last few years, does anybody still bother adding a serial port or are those so old school that it is not worth bothering with these?

Also, the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 comes with a USB cable, correct?

I guess I am leaning towards buying a USB-1 cable for the new desktop. That way I can use either the BCD396XT or BCD996XT with any of the computers around the house. It seems pretty hard for me to justify adding a serial port at this point.

Last edited:

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't. There are too many USB to serial devices on the market that are much more easy than installing a serial port, cheaper, too.

I have two I use, one is a Radio Shack Serial to USB cable model 26-183 and a cables unlimited USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial Adapter (The better of the 2). I purchased it from Tiger Direct.

I think I have an internal Serial card somewhere that I haven't used.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I wouldn't bother, anything you need to do with a serial port can be done with a USB-serial adapter. Unless you need to run a DOS based application these adapters work just fine.

LtDoc

Very basically it amounts to using current/new technology or using older technology cuz you can't make the new stuff compatible with the old stuff. Which would be easiest for you in your particular $ituation?
The USB to serial port converters are better than they used to be, and USB ports and accessories are just more common now. If you can't make the old compatible with the new (for whatever reason), do the old way.
- 'Doc

(I just went through the same thing and ended up using a converter/adapter thingy. Added a hub for more USB ports, wish I had several dozen of them! (128 port limit, so far.) and it's 'working'... so far.)

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
LtDoc, what kind of hub are you using? I 've heard there are good ones and not so good ones out there.
Barry

LtDoc

The hub I have is by 'D-Link', a 'DUB-H7'. It's a USB-2 type hub. Has it's own power source for the USB devices attached through it. I've tried several other brands through the local stores (Wal-Mart and Staples) that didn't turn out so good, or only had 2 or 3 ports. This one has 7. I honestly don't know all there is to know about this thing (or hubs in general). I know that the port number assigned to each USB port can be changed, but still to 'chicken' to start reassigning them. I can make more mistakes than is typical for the 'average' person so just play it smart and leave that alone.
- 'Doc

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I build my own computers and my motherboard had a header for the port.

It took all of 2 minutes to install. I would say it is worth it if you have this header. Serial to USB has been nothing short of a pain in the butt to me, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.