Should I Bring My AnyTone AT-D878UV Or My Uniden SDS-100 On An Alaskan Cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It a reaction that kinda reminds me of the two LEOs in Starbucks that were asked to move or leave because a customer felt uncomfortable.

ecps92

IF you are referencing my letter to the High Sheriff, you don't know me then... time for the peanuts to move on

It a reaction that kinda reminds me of the two LEOs in Starbucks that were asked to move or leave because a customer felt uncomfortable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Every situation seems to be different.
Lot of people have posted on other threads about this. Some report having radios confiscated for the duration of the cruise. Some walk right through security with them, some get temporarily pulled. The enforcement seems to vary not only by cruise line, but by who's working security at boarding, what their mood is, and how the radio owner reacts.

Many years ago I took a 2 meter portable on an Alaska cruise. At the security check before boarding, it was confiscated. It was returned to me later on that day to our stateroom. Likely it was checked over by someone, maybe the radio officer, who knows.

Read -all- the fine print on the tickets and paperwork. You give up most of your rights when you board the ship, and you agreed to that by buying the tickets. Ships master has final say in everything. Your amateur license, scanner, etc. doesn't over rule their decision. You are a guest on their ship, following the rules is required or they can leave you on the pier.

A scanner will be much more flexible. Most ships use various means of communications. VHF Marine is used for navigation. Internal communications is often done by the 457MHz Marine UHF channels. Some ships are using 900MHz, some use DECT handsets.
Having the ability to scan the bands will serve you much better.

I'll add, this, though:
If you are going on a cruise to Alaska with your significant other, playing radio should be pretty far down your list of things to do. Scenery is what you should be looking at, not the radio.

I did take a shortwave radio on a cruise back in the 1980's or 90's down through Mexico. Interesting to listen at night. Could hear HF telephone traffic off the ship, stuff I didn't need or want to hear. Did quite a bit of AM broadcast DX'ing. Western coast of Mexico and listening to AM stations out of Louisiana. Most ship to shore is now on satellite. Phone calls go over satellite, internet service, cell phone service, same with company communications. The modern cruise ship has a lot of satellite antennas on them now, HF is used rarely.

DeepBlue

Take the scanner. Who are you planning on talking to if you do find a legal 2m or 440 repeater or simplex operator? The scanner on Close Call (or similar) will find all those non-published frequencies for you and you'll have a lot to listen to. It's my experience that there are a lot of unpublished frequencies out there. Also, I take my AOR AR-DV1 on vacations as it covers nearly all digital modes, analog and HF (yeah, yeah, not well, but they are there.) It's my radio Swiss Army knife. Wish they had a battery pack for those like the old 8600s had.

Sean

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Never had a problem here, either. Sometimes I take 2 scanners , a 2m HT, and a pair of Uniden FRS radios. They see so many small radios they do not have the time to check the operational bands, even if they knew how. We only cruise Carnival now, simply because we have built up our credits and get the VIP treatment. They have always been pretty lax about everything but bringing liquor onboard.

JD
kf4anc

15plus1

While waiting in line with your scanner, or h/t on your belt, just don't put your hand on it.. Otherwise, someone might send a strongly worded letter to Capt. Stubig..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.