Should I buy a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in northern MN. On the Canadian border. This area is still analog. The only digital is border patrol, customs, etc. Would the BCD536HP beable to decode any of the communications? Before i invest in a scanner, I want to find out if a digital scanner is worth the money.

dmg1969

In looking up where you live (based on your location), the only digital in your county is P25 Phase 1. The 536 will handle that (and any phase 2 systems) assuming they are not encrypted. As far as border patrol and customs, I do not know about their systems. But, if you only have Phase 1 systems in your area, any digital scanner should do. You may want to ask in the MN radio discussion forum. Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums. They would be more familiar with the types of systems in your area and be able to provide better advice.

PhillyPhoto

Generally speaking, if you don't forsee a need for Phase 2 support and are looking to save money, I would stick to something like the BCD996XT or even the HP-1 if you prefer the touchscreen and the other things it has to offer (but in a funky form-factor). There are still some kinks getting worked out of the 536 (spending the extra $100 vs the 436 on a WiFi dongle that doesn't work yet being one). The only downside being you may spend more in the long run to save money in the short term.

bailly2

RE: should i buy a scanner

alot of interesting talkgroups in the statewide allied radio matrix system, no talkgroups specifically for your county though. might be worth paying $400+ for digital p25 scanner if talkgroups like tac channels or emergency management are using the koochiching sites. (at least with the phase 2 system in my state activity in one site is not rebroadcasted to other sites)

also you may want to get a scanner that receives 225 to 400 mhz to pick up customs aircraft

ecps92

As for the Federal Agencies, you would need to spend sometime and see if they are 100% ENC or not.

I live in northern MN. On the Canadian border. This area is still analog. The only digital is border patrol, customs, etc. Would the BCD536HP beable to decode any of the communications? Before i invest in a scanner, I want to find out if a digital scanner is worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.