Should I buy an extra scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I only have 4 scanners, which I justify on the basis that I need a test bed when developing new mods and/or accessories.

OK956

155 MHz is VHF high, Low band is 30-50 MHz.

I forgot about that. Where I work we call any dept on 800 band "high band" and the others still in the 150 range or 450 range "low band". Basically anyone below 800 gets called low band or "old side".

But yes your verbiage is correct. I've just gotten used to the slang.

Last edited:

OK956

I SOLD 2 guitars so I could by my scanners. I had a nice Fender Telecaster and a Les Paul clone gold top. Both VERY nice, all modded and all.....but I don't play electric much anymore. However I did keep my 2001 Nashville Tele, a Tele knock-off, a few acoustics, an SG Junior. If I do play its usually my old nylon string acoustic.

Oh no! Selling guitars like that for scanners! You are definitely addicted.

I own too high end Schecters and then I had to buy a Gibson Les Paul. Went with a Trad Pro II. Only one left I'd like to have is a Gibson Explorer.

That Les Paul though will haunt me for life. Told wife a few years beforehand we can't afford a $1500 vacation. Then couple years later I drop $1100 on that Les Paul. I've never heard the end of it and never will.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Oh no! Selling guitars like that for scanners! You are definitely addicted.

I own too high end Schecters and then I had to buy a Gibson Les Paul. Went with a Trad Pro II. Only one left I'd like to have is a Gibson Explorer.

That Les Paul though will haunt me for life. Told wife a few years beforehand we can't afford a $1500 vacation. Then couple years later I drop $1100 on that Les Paul. I've never heard the end of it and never will.
Well I guess as we grow older we change and I just dont play electric guitar as much as I used to. Besides I do more recording than anything. I mostly play keyboards, bass and use nylon string guitar to put lead tracks down. Those Schecters are very nice. The place we used to jam, an old lounge a few towns away, the owner had this nice Schecter bass and I played that many times. I have had a few Les Pauls over the years. Heavy though but nice playing. Right now my main electric is a Nashville Tele. That guitar I will always keep. I have had a bunch of Telecasters too. Well my wife dont understand this radio hobby. She tolerates it pretty well.

OK956

Well I guess as we grow older we change and I just dont play electric guitar as much as I used to. Besides I do more recording than anything. I mostly play keyboards, bass and use nylon string guitar to put lead tracks down. Those Schecters are very nice. The place we used to jam, an old lounge a few towns away, the owner had this nice Schecter bass and I played that many times. I have had a few Les Pauls over the years. Heavy though but nice playing. Right now my main electric is a Nashville Tele. That guitar I will always keep. I have had a bunch of Telecasters too. Well my wife dont understand this radio hobby. She tolerates it pretty well.

Aw man... you just reminded me I also want a Tele. And if I get a Tele then i of course have to get a Strat too lol

I don't play much anymore either and wish I could. I work 12 hour shifts and thanks to the covid and no school for months and locally here looking like no school this year either... I've become kindergarten cop of 4 kids on my days off.

Going to work is actually my "days off" now. Smh

No more fishing. No more guitar. No more grilling. I'm starting to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Aw man... you just reminded me I also want a Tele. And if I get a Tele then i of course have to get a Strat too lol

I don't play much anymore either and wish I could. I work 12 hour shifts and thanks to the covid and no school for months and locally here looking like no school this year either... I've become kindergarten cop of 4 kids on my days off.

Going to work is actually my "days off" now. Smh

No more fishing. No more guitar. No more grilling. I'm starting to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
Well no more guitars for me! I have enough. Since covid I don't play out anymore. I usually would only play with friends at the old East Greenwich Hotel where they have a nice lounge. Its an old 19th century hotel and right before covid they just rebuilt one of the rooms off the bar. Installed a beautiful new stage, sound system and tables and chairs for dining!!! So I never got to play in the new room, but neither did anyone else. That was our watering hole and place of entertainment for me at least for the last 10 years. Met a lot of cool musicians and made new friends. It will be nice when we can all get back there. I retired in 2016 so I spend most of the days sitting in my shack listening to radios. But I also like to record music too. Thats what I do when I am not playing radio. I have a small studio and when I get inspired I will put songs together.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
My addiction is also radios and guitars. And a firearm or two. Bought a new Les Paul and Strat last year to keep my two SG's company along with a second SDS100. Not going to buy any more guitars as I have 4 electrics and one acoustic. Well, maybe one more acoustic. And as usual, my story is "I found it for 1/3 the original price honey". Haven't had a jam session with other musicians in a long time but play here in my radio/music room every now and then.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
My addiction is also radios and guitars. And a firearm or two. Bought a new Les Paul and Strat last year to keep my two SG's company along with a second SDS100. Not going to buy any more guitars as I have 4 electrics and one acoustic. Well, maybe one more acoustic. And as usual, my story is "I found it for 1/3 the original price honey". Haven't had a jam session with other musicians in a long time but play here in my radio/music room every now and then.
Hahahahaha Well if the situation was right, the only guitar I would really like to have is a nice ES-335...a red one. I used to have a '335 knock off years ago and wow what a nice guitar. My friend has a vintage 335 and what a guitar. The only was I could justify buying a 335 is if I sold my Nashville Tele but I want to keep it. Plus the 335 is twice the price. Well the best fool proof method for me to buy anything that is co$tly is to get a part time job!! I retired and was working part time for a while. My pension and my wifes paycheck keeps us going. Usually if bills and expenses are low I can usually snitch a few bucks for a toy. I have 3 electric guitars, a 2001 Nashville Tele, a Tele knock-off and a 1997 SG junior with P90. I also have a couple electric basses and 3 acoustics. I mainly play acoustic nowadays and do a lot of recording. I put electrics away for the time being. I dont use them for recording projects. Been doing some open tunings which are cool. And I play keyboards actually more than guitar. But when I record I use both keys and guitar plus bass and percussion. I don't have an accurate description of my musical style. But I am heavily influenced by some jazz. Mostly the modal jazz stuff. I have been working on original compositions that are mostly "thematic".....I like soundtracks of video games and movies. I learned a lot of cool techniques too from watching Rick Beato on Youtube. So I have done some nice acoustic mellow stuff and some very dark gothic jazz stuff.

maxxkatt

Maxx Katt, once upon time artist.
Ha! I wish. Thanks for the input!

Gotta get it past the ol lady too! "Oh that fancy looking new scanner.... yeah uh... ebay for only 50 bucks... hell of a deal. Got lucky I guess
boy that can be one of the trickiest part of any man's hobby. I cannot pull that I ordered a SDS100 and we both pay bills together at the end of the month together.

Status
Not open for further replies.