Should I buy an extra scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK956

I have a 325P2 that I carry with me at work all day while driving.

End of shift I take it into the house and scan sometimes.

Which is why I bought the 325P2 for that versatility.

It's my first handheld unit though and I always owned beefier base units before this.

I'm really tempted to buy the 996P2 because I'm just more accustomed and probably for nostalgic aesthetic reasons.

But honestly, does the 996 offer anything above the 325?

I know its electric vs battery and a larger speaker etc but performance bell and whistle wise is there a valid reason to buy the 996 if I already have the 325? I think hardware wise they are nearly identical from what I can tell. Just a smaller casing.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a 325P2 that I carry with me at work all day while driving.

End of shift I take it into the house and scan sometimes.

Which is why I bought the 325P2 for that versatility.

It's my first handheld unit though and I always owned beefier base units before this.

I'm really tempted to buy the 996P2 because I'm just more accustomed and probably for nostalgic aesthetic reasons.

But honestly, does the 996 offer anything above the 325?

I know its electric vs battery and a larger speaker etc but performance bell and whistle wise is there a valid reason to buy the 996 if I already have the 325? I think hardware wise they are nearly identical from what I can tell. Just a smaller casing.

I've owned both and they are very similar and it's great to be able to share programming between the two. But other than a bigger display with background color choices and a bigger speaker, I don't see a big advantage to the BCD996P2. But everytime I've ordered one, I also ordered the other as well. They go together well and I like the larger form factor. Prior to buying the BCD536HP and SDS200 I used to keep new spares of the BCD996P2 & BCD325P2 on hand in case I needed them. Neither never let me down. Built like a truck!

OK956

I've owned both and they are very similar and it's great to be able to share programming between the two. But other than a bigger display with background color choices and a bigger speaker, I don't see a big advantage to the BCD996P2. But everytime I've ordered one, I also ordered the other as well. They go together well and I like the larger form factor. Prior to buying the BCD536HP and SDS200 I used to keep new spares of the BCD996P2 & BCD325P2 on hand in case I needed them. Neither never let me down. Built like a truck!

Yeah kinda figured so. If they wasnt so pricey I'd just go for it and be happy.

I'm looking at moving soon to a rural area so I will be using an external antenna on my home.

Maybe just me... but it seems kind of silly to have a large external antenna wired into such a compact scanner.

I know function wise it should be fine. But a cool hefty base unit just seems more appropriate visually I guess. External home antenna on the 325 just doesnt seem right lol. But I know it's just aesthetics.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yeah kinda figured so. If they wasnt so pricey I'd just go for it and be happy.

I'm looking at moving soon to a rural area so I will be using an external antenna on my home.

If money is a factor and you're moving soon it might be wise to wait. Besides it will give you something to look forward once you're settled in. By then you might win the Lotto and go for a SDS-200! :cool:

OK956

If money is a factor and you're moving soon it might be wise to wait. Besides it will give you something to look forward once you're settled in. By then you might win the Lotto and go for a SDS-200! :cool:

Ha! I wish. Thanks for the input!

Gotta get it past the ol lady too! "Oh that fancy looking new scanner.... yeah uh... ebay for only 50 bucks... hell of a deal. Got lucky I guess

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Ha! I wish. Thanks for the input!

Gotta get it past the ol lady too! "Oh that fancy looking new scanner.... yeah uh... ebay for only 50 bucks... hell of a deal. Got lucky I guess

:ROFLMAO: That's funny! Don't get caught or she might end up getting your new house! o_O

tvengr

Well Known Member
If in a metro area, multiple scanners can be a big help. If you monitor both Fire and PD in the same scanner, you will a lot of activity. The 325P2 and 996P2 both use the same programming files. Which rural area are you planning on moving to?

OK956

:ROFLMAO: That's funny! Don't get caught or she might end up getting your new house! o_O

I know right! Been there done that already once. Ok maybe twice.... geez think I'd learn. Oh well.

But yeah I think I'll go for that 996. Someday. Or any base unit. I miss having one of those already. Too many memories.

But for now I'll stick with what I got. Looks like the advantages to the 996 are mostly bells and whistles. Screen colors bigger speaker etc. I'm good with the classic Uniden orange and I can hear the 325 just fine.

OK956

If in a metro area, multiple scanners can be a big help. If you monitor both Fire and PD in the same scanner, you will a lot of activity. The 325P2 and 996P2 both use the same programming files. Which rural area are you planning on moving to?
That's a good point.

I'm in Oklahoma. Looking to move from Tulsa area to a very rural area of a town called Oologah. Which is Indian for "dark cloud".

Yeah that's a definite hint for buy a storm shelter in tornado alley!

OK956

For local shtf reasons I will probably only monitor Rogers Co Sheriff (which appears to need that dang DMR upgrade), Highway Patrol and Oologah and Talala PD (both of which are simple low band 155 area frequency).

But for just entertainment and fun I'd still like to monitor Tulsa PD and they will also be the hot zone for shtf. I'll need that external home antenna for Tulsa I'm sure.

I've read about antennas overloading certain units. Too much interference to decipher right. Don't know if that's the case with the 325 vs 996

Last edited:

OK956

But I couldn't help it. I'm already on ebay looking for deals. That 996 is one slick pretty looking scanner. My nightstand is lonely and my Midland weather radio wants a mate. I need an intervention. This scanner hobby is a sickness.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I really need 3 scanners. My wife asked me how I process all the chatter. I told her I am just used to filtering out what I need to hear. I love my 996p2. Its a great radio. I use that radio and a bct15x for all conventional listening. I didnt want to tie up my sds200 with a ton of stuff so I use the 996p2 & 15X for all NON digital stuff. With the exception of a bunch of P25 PD & FD channels in scattered southeast massachusetts towns. And a coast guard P25 net. But those are not trunked or simulcast, just conventional P25. I use sds200 for my state simulcast system and the Mass state PD. I might buy another 996p2 to use when I travel and vacation. But it sure wouldnt hurt to have the 996p2.....

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have way too many scanners and guitars....said no one ever. har har
I SOLD 2 guitars so I could by my scanners. I had a nice Fender Telecaster and a Les Paul clone gold top. Both VERY nice, all modded and all.....but I don't play electric much anymore. However I did keep my 2001 Nashville Tele, a Tele knock-off, a few acoustics, an SG Junior. If I do play its usually my old nylon string acoustic.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I SOLD 2 guitars so I could by my scanners. I had a nice Fender Telecaster and a Les Paul clone gold top. Both VERY nice, all modded and all.....but I don't play electric much anymore. However I did keep my 2001 Nashville Tele, a Tele knock-off, a few acoustics, an SG Junior. If I do play its usually my old nylon string acoustic.

People don't realize how much money you can raise by selling off toys you don't need/use/want anymore!

DJ11DLN

People don't realize how much money you can raise by selling off toys you don't need/use/want anymore!
And hoarding change. Before the alleged current "change shortage" I just used to empty my pocket into a coffee can daily and take it to the bank when it got full. Over the years I've bought a number of "luxury items," mainly electronics and firearms, with the change fund. It adds up more quickly than you would imagine and you hardly miss it, if at all.

But I agree also that this is an addiction. I've held off from getting a G4 mainly because the last time I counted my scanners it was not only depressing but a little alarming...and at present I just don't want to get rid of any of them. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.