• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEVPRO95

My friend is selling this:

Kenwood R-1000 Shortwave Receiver. He says it covers AM/USB/LSB/CW and coverage from 200-30000kHz. Would this be a good starter receiver? Will it cover Military and such?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The price might make me a bit suspicious - but if it's working, that's a good deal.

EHam has reviews on this radio (for the most part, pretty nice ones), Kiwa does both selectivity and audio mods, and - surprise, surprise - there's even a fairly active Yahoo group for this radio. Given how old it is, that's quite a shock.

There are 2 known weak points with radios of this era - the selectivity is a tad on the wide side, and it is known to overload if you put too much of an antenna on it. If memory serves, there's a switchable RF Attenuator, but it gives you steps of I think 10db. You might want to build one yourself, and put it inline with your antenna (easily done if you have a good junkbox).

But definitely a keeper. Put a decent antenna on it and you're good to go.

73s Mike

nexus

$80 is damn good... If it works.

The Kenwood R-1000 is a a high-end HF receiver. It's an older model, late 70's early 80's but it'll certainly get the job done. With a decent antenna you should be able to hear just about anything on the HF bands including military.

The radio used in good condition usually goes for around 300-400 dollars, here is a picture and info of one.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r1000.html

Status
Not open for further replies.