Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEVPRO95

My friend is selling this:

Kenwood R-1000 Shortwave Receiver. He says it covers AM/USB/LSB/CW and coverage from 200-30000kHz. Would this be a good starter receiver? Will it cover Military and such?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The price might make me a bit suspicious - but if it's working, that's a good deal.

EHam has reviews on this radio (for the most part, pretty nice ones), Kiwa does both selectivity and audio mods, and - surprise, surprise - there's even a fairly active Yahoo group for this radio. Given how old it is, that's quite a shock.

There are 2 known weak points with radios of this era - the selectivity is a tad on the wide side, and it is known to overload if you put too much of an antenna on it. If memory serves, there's a switchable RF Attenuator, but it gives you steps of I think 10db. You might want to build one yourself, and put it inline with your antenna (easily done if you have a good junkbox).

But definitely a keeper. Put a decent antenna on it and you're good to go.

73s Mike

nexus

$80 is damn good... If it works.

The Kenwood R-1000 is a a high-end HF receiver. It's an older model, late 70's early 80's but it'll certainly get the job done. With a decent antenna you should be able to hear just about anything on the HF bands including military.

The radio used in good condition usually goes for around 300-400 dollars, here is a picture and info of one.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r1000.html

Status
Not open for further replies.