Should I ditch my PSR 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

I would seriously doubt the new Unidens will decode TDMA better than the PSR800.

Digital decoding is what the GRE engineered scanners do best.

That is exactly what i thought after reading the original post. You may be taking a step backwards... (BUT, no one will know that until the new scanners are released, and reviewed)

However, if you are going to sell the PSR800, now would be the time to do it. I certainly wouldnt wait too much longer, as they are about to lose their "oh-so-precious value" in a month or so...

Last edited:

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Afternoon everyone,

I was looking at the new Uniden models and I really think that the BCD436HP is a really good scanner for me. But I currently own a PSR 800 and its a great scanner but there are a few drawbacks. Our provincial Rail/Bus P25 radio system here in Ontario has a few talkgroups that are TDMA which my PSR 800 has a very hard time decoding (the audio is very choppy). The FDMA talkgroups on the other hand decode fine. I’ve owned my PSR 800 for about a year and it’s had a handful of problems. Anyway, should I ditch my 800 for a 436HP or keep it? Should I sell it or keep it? Thanks!!!

If you get the BCD436HP and keep the PSR-800, you'll have the ability to compare the two in addition to having a backup.

AC2OY

I was thinking of buying one of these new Uniden's for a base unit and maybe selling the Pro-197 but I really love that radio!!! This new one made life harder...LOL

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think since Unidens release of the new units the GRE PSR 800 has lost its so precious value now since the new units will be made better and also will decode Phase II TDMA.

tilt404

I was impressed with the new uniden scanners or the prices and features. Seemed like they just caught up to where the PSR800 has been for years. On the new uniden handheld the SD card is behind the batteries, so that is a major pain for me since I remove my card to read it. I can't stand the volume knob on the uniden handheld.

The controls on the GRE are much easier to navigate, even with one hand. I use the audio recordings a lot and the controls on the GRE are superior in my opinion. I also prefer the smaller size of the GRE. For the new uniden mobile, its priced way too high in my area and don't like the controls either. You will likely have to pay for radio reference downloads also, unlike in the GRE software. To each his/her own but for me, I'm sticking with my PSR800. Love it, and look forward to what Whistler will come out with to keep GRE alive.

SquierStrat

I think since Unidens release of the new units the GRE PSR 800 has lost its so precious value now since the new units will be made better and also will decode Phase II TDMA.

how do you know theyll be made "better"?? if current trends continue, the gre (now whistler) scanners will continue to handle simulcast much better, and will be valued more by people like me, people who monitor simulcast systems..

like i said, no one here will know til they hit the market..

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Use my PSR 800 to monitor a simulcast phase II system NOW.

Don't have to wait for another company to come out with a product that does what the 800 already does.

The next evolution in scanner radios will be when Whistler releases the 800/900.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was thinking of buying one of these new Uniden's for a base unit and maybe selling the Pro-197 but I really love that radio!!! This new one made life harder...LOL

+1 on the pro-197 ! ;)

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Bravo thanks! and as for the firmware update I downloaded and installed 1.7 CPU and DSP onto my scanner so we will see what happens when I get a phase 2 talkgroup

SCPD

QRT
Well hear we go again with my EZSCAN headaches!! went to transfer my config to the scanner and got an error!!! Set everything back to default

This is just one of the many reasons why I would get a Uniden!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jackj

I have never gotten an error from EZScan except when my memory card was corrupted. I used SDFormater to re-format my card, google it, and that cleared up my problem. I would advise programing the card using either an internal or external card reader. Much faster and less chance of a screw-up.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have never gotten an error from EZScan except when my memory card was corrupted. I used SDFormater to re-format my card, google it, and that cleared up my problem. I would advise programing the card using either an internal or external card reader. Much faster and less chance of a screw-up.

After the first error from computer to radio. Since than I take the card out and use the card reader. I have 2 sd cards now one is for a backup case the other craps out again.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Get rid of your PSR-800 and buy a new Uniden by all means. In fact, I'll help you out by paying for the shipping and give you an added $10 cash for it. You can keep the batteries to use in your Uniden.

Ouch. You beat me to it! I was going to offer $20 !

JK ;)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You will likely have to pay for radio reference downloads also, unlike in the GRE software.

Uh, no. Uniden has never charged at all for weekly database updates for the HP-1.
And it appears they are continuing the trend with free weekly database updates for
both the BCD436HP & BCD536HP.
Marshall KE4ZNR

AC2OY

As far as ditching a radio,after buying my newer digital scanner,I sold my Pro-2006 just to sell it. The thing worked perfectly still from 1987. Needless to say I regret cutting her loose. So now I'll probably do like most here....just collect scanners if they still work!!!!

SCPD

QRT
Good point fuzy!!! Mine still works fine besides the wear and tear and the audio cutting out but other than that she still works fine and I still can't listen to Phase ll even with version 1.7.it's choppy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.