Should I ditch my PSR 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

Good point fuzy!!! Mine still works fine besides the wear and tear and the audio cutting out but other than that she still works fine and I still can't listen to Phase ll even with version 1.7.it's choppy!!!

Roger that!!! Now when or if I ever set up my man cave with a little help from my friends!!!, I will have my scanners running next to whatever HF gear I get!!! I have a big tree in the new house's back yard! I'm thinking a stealth 80 meter dipole and or maybe a scanner antenna on the roof?! I now have options!!!!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Good point fuzy!!! Mine still works fine besides the wear and tear and the audio cutting out but other than that she still works fine and I still can't listen to Phase ll even with version 1.7.it's choppy!!!

Have you try to use Pro96Com to see maybe if any tables or settings has changed?

SCPD

QRT
No I've hear of ProCom96 before in the other forums but what does it do and how do I download it? Is it like unitrunker?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
IF

Afternoon everyone,

I was looking at the new Uniden models and I really think that the BCD436HP is a really good scanner for me. But I currently own a PSR 800 and its a great scanner but there are a few drawbacks. Our provincial Rail/Bus P25 radio system here in Ontario has a few talkgroups that are TDMA which my PSR 800 has a very hard time decoding (the audio is very choppy). The FDMA talkgroups on the other hand decode fine. I’ve owned my PSR 800 for about a year and it’s had a handful of problems. Anyway, should I ditch my 800 for a 436HP or keep it? Should I sell it or keep it? Thanks!!!

If you like the ability to record channels individually ,I'd keep it!
The PSR is easy to use,just go ahead and read the directions for the Uniden,I like Uniden,but these two new radios seem a bit complex!And the new uniden is made in VIETNAM,prolly dont sit right with all you military folks.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I'm actually having trouble setting it up bravo and do i use my usb conection to decode or my PC/IF?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually having trouble setting it up bravo and do i use my usb conection to decode or my PC/IF?

1st I did went to the radio and went to settings and scroll down or up til you see pc/if CCDump I checked the box.

2nd make sure when you plug in the usb cord from radio to computer go to device manager and go to Ports (COM & LPT) look see what port number it is Example mine is com port 3.

Hope this will help.

The 1st picture is the psr800 software the other 2 pictures are the P25 Pro96Com pictures.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks bravo but To decode do I need the USB cord or an audio cable?

And I'm using windows 8.1 so I've gone to the device manager and I can't seem to find my COM port for my PSR 800

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks bravo but To decode do I need the USB cord or an audio cable?

And I'm using windows 8.1 so I've gone to the device manager and I can't seem to find my COM port for my PSR 800

You need the usb cord from radio to computer. No audio cable needed.

1st go to control panel and look for system click that. Than you should see device manager on the left side click that. Than a window will pop up and click the + on com/lpt the menu will dorp down and you should see prs800 should say what port number. When you see that go to the pro96com and put that port number in as the picture above you don't need the speed control.

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have Win7 and my psr800 shows up on the Com Port. I'm not sure about Win8.1. If it won't show the psr800 it could be under another name. When you open the pro96com program when you click the com port how many does it show? Maybe you can try each one see what it does.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have a desktop with winows xp let me try that because when I updated my PSR 800 I used that computer and I remember that the COM port was 4 on that computer

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a desktop with winows xp let me try that because when I updated my PSR 800 I used that computer and I remember that the COM port was 4 on that computer

I think I try to use the psr800 on my xp (sp3) machine it wouldn't read the radio with the usb plugged in. It just gave errors left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.