Should I feel Guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow

Premium Subscriber
So I stopped into my local Radio Shack lookinng for a scanner to replace my ICOM IC-R10 to listen to Mil-Air at work...

the only thing available was a Uniden BC125AT ( perfect, no trucking, Mil Air, etc) but then the guy points out the Pro-405... $17.95 and 25% off...

So I got the Uniden, and for $13.10, I got the Pro-405... hell it will work for local law enforcement, Fire, and Civil Air around here... and I've probably bought more expensive paper weights!

nanZor

You did just fine with the 125AT. And while the 405 has an old-school dual-conversion front end, at that price you'll find plenty of uses for it.

Why would you feel guilty...
RS marked the items down to sell,they will claim a loss on their taxes for the difference.

If you deceived an old man,or some young kid..then you would be hearing your conscience
nagging from within.
In this case,,RS made a business decision to move inventory(just another bad one,after many bad ones).

You got a deal.No diff from finding a priceless painting at a yard sale!

mainetrunk

Shame - shame, you should have cleaned out the Unidens for that price. Or, see if lightning strikes twice in the same place.. Go price their entire scanner inventory.. If that's a system glitch, theres no telling how much other scanners are going for... Xmas early!!!

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
BC125AT, a coded squelch scanner for $13? Damn good deal; wish my area ratshacks had that. I have adapters and jumpers on my scanners that cost more.

oracavon

Something you should be aware of on the 125AT - Uniden's definition of mil air is 225 - 380 Mhz. It doesn't receive 380 - 400 Mhz. That may not affect what you listen to, but it's something that potential buyers should be aware of.

mainetrunk

I just got off the phone with the R-S in Somersworth N.H... $149.99 for that Uniden at the moment.. Thank god I called, he tried to sell me a new digital 1.. Bow, you got lucky. LOL

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I think some of you guys are confused, nowhere does he say he got the Uniden for $13

"so I got the Uniden, and for $13.10, I got the Pro-405"

Bow

Premium Subscriber
Yup, the 125 cost me $150, and below 380 Mhz is OK for my current application

I really want to bring my R10 home, as it is more valuable to me.

The Pro-405 was a pleasant surprise at $13.10... Sorry if I offended anyone... The Pro-405 will work for law enforcement, Fire, and civilian air here in the middle of no where

Sorry, this post was a bit of a joke, $13 for the PRO-405 just seems a tad Low for ANY scanner...

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Yup, the 125 cost me $150, and below 380 Mhz is OK for my current application

I really want to bring my R10 home, as it is more valuable to me.

The Pro-405 was a pleasant surprise at $13.10... Sorry if I offended anyone... The Pro-405 will work for law enforcement, Fire, and civilian air here in the middle of no where

Sorry, this post was a bit of a joke, $13 for the PRO-405 just seems a tad Low for ANY scanner...

Well, you done GOOD, and that's no joke!:D

FallenAnjel

$30 for TWO scanners?? I'll send u the money for them plus shipping and you buy them and ship them to me! Sheeesh!! Guilty? You should feel like you won the lotto! LOL

oracavon

That is the definition of mil air. 380-400 MHz is military land mobile.

That's not really true. Mil air has always been 225-400, as documented at the following websites (among thousands of others):

Airband - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radio Bands & Equipment
Aviation Band Antenna Aero Band Antenna Military Air Band Antennas Aircraft Antennas Omni Directional ATC Antennas VHF UHF Aviation Antennas MilAir Antennas Multi Ports Aviation band Antenna ATC Tower Antennas AAI Antenna Airport Authority Antenna Sy
http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/aviation_frequencies.html#AviationSpectrum
Military Air* Capable Scanners for Red Flag
Radio Scanner Guide - Part 3D: Military Aircraft
Jim HPF-0706A UHF Military Airband Filter

In recent years, the military has established some land mobile stations in the upper end of the mil air band (380-400), but that does not suddenly make it a separate band. Even the Radio Reference wiki shows that 380-400 continues to be used for mil air operations, while sharing it with the newer land mobile stations:
Federal VHF/UHF Channel Plans - The RadioReference Wiki

Again, sharing a portion of an existing band with other services doesn't suddenly make it a separate band.

Status
Not open for further replies.