Should I fix my Pro 90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lars128

My Pro 90 recently suffered a pretty nasty accident, snapping the volume and squelch switches off the board. I managed to get the old ones off and I have what I think are the right part numbers from Radio Shack.

So the question is should I go ahead and fix this? I have no problems with the features of the scanner - it scanned mostly AAR channels and our local analog trunked system. No alpha tagging never really bothered me too much as I set up my banks pretty well. The only thing I really don't like is not being able to scan trunked and non-trunked at the same time. It is the only scanner I have really used so I have no idea of how well it actually performs compared to other models. Parts look to be about $25.

1) So is trying to fix this a nightmare I should avoid? 2) Is there another scanner that will really beat the Pro 90 on performance (that I can buy for under $100) that is worth looking into? 3) Does anyone want to buy/sell some Pro 90 parts?

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Working Pro-90's can be bought on ebay for $50 so maybe worth looking into.

Let me know if you want to sell it cheap.. can i turn it on and keep it on? I dont need to change the volume squelch ill just keep it on my home area.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Throw away society

Should I fix my Pro 90?
It depends on WHY you are asking this question. If you are asking from a pure MONETARY point of view, then certainly it is not worth it unless you do all of the work yourself (and don't value your time). After all it is an older scanner, and you can replace its functionality for a lot less $$$.

BUT if the scanner (when working) does everything you need it to do, why waste it? Even if the cost of repairing it is nearly the cost of a newer model, what's the point of throwing out what is essentially a good device?

It wasn't that long ago when we repaired everything. Then the typical consumer wanted cheaper. And the manufacturers built cheaper, but at the cost of making stuff "too expensive" to repair. This is one reason our landfills are full.

If you can either fix it or provide it to someone else to use for parts to repair other scanners, that would be best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.