• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Should I get a business band license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a perfect plan, but those frequencies you gave (154.570/154.600) that WalMart usually uses, can I legally operate on those without consulting the FCC or getting some kind of license? If yes, can you get me a link to the FCC webpage that explains about that? Thanks!

Those two freqs are license free. So yes you can legally operate on those frequencies. Murs is considered VHF CB. You have to share the frequencies with other users if you hear them...the 154.570/154.600 freqs are not the only freqs you are limited on murs...on Murs there are a total of 5 channels

Channel 1. 151.820 (narrowband)
Channel 2. 151.880 (narrowband)
Channel 3. 151.940 (narrowband)
Channel 4. 154.570
Channel 5. 154.600

All these channels are license free.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
Plus the UHF models operate on some of the FRS/GMRS channels too. I really don't know of anyone who has one of them XTN radios that actually applied for a licence for them, As KC2OBW indicated there are the MURS licence free channels available. UHF might be better for you though Since the radio's only transmit a watt or two. Again, as I stated UHF penetrates through concrete walls better than VHF. Plus you won't have to worry about dealing with wal-mart if they are close to your retail store. Most of the wal-marts run their radios in CSQ mode, At least the ones in my town do. Plus if your close to a BK or McD's often times their drive throughs operate on the VHF frequencies of 154.570/154.600mhz.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Those two freqs are license free. So yes you can legally operate on those frequencies. Murs is considered VHF CB. You have to share the frequencies with other users if you hear them...the 154.570/154.600 freqs are not the only freqs you are limited on murs...on Murs there are a total of 5 channels

Channel 1. 151.820 (narrowband)
Channel 2. 151.880 (narrowband)
Channel 3. 151.940 (narrowband)
Channel 4. 154.570
Channel 5. 154.600

All these channels are license free.

Okay, but for those frequencies (154.570/154.600), you still need to have a MURS certified radio, correct?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Okay, but for those frequencies (154.570/154.600), you still need to have a MURS certified radio, correct?

If you want to do it legally which every one here recommends, yes you have to have a MURS certified radio to use on the MURS freqs. As Thunderknight stated there are some older non certified radios that are grandfathered in.

As for wally world they think they own the two murs channels they operate on which they don't they have to share the frequencies just like every one else. There is a wall mart that uses CSQ and a neighboring one just on the other side of the bridge uses 88.5.

And as a few members stated depending on what type of building you are using them in you might be better off with UHF they penetrate steel and concrete better. I wouldn't bother with FRS radios though they only put out half of a watt.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
If you want to do it legally which every one here recommends, yes you have to have a MURS certified radio to use on the MURS freqs. As Thunderknight stated there are some older non certified radios that are grandfathered in.

As for wally world they think they own the two murs channels they operate on which they don't they have to share the frequencies just like every one else. There is a wall mart that uses CSQ and a neighboring one just on the other side of the bridge uses 88.5.

And as a few members stated depending on what type of building you are using them in you might be better off with UHF they penetrate steel and concrete better. I wouldn't bother with FRS radios though they only put out half of a watt.

Okay. These radios we will be getting are actually to replace some FRS radios that didn't work, exactly for that reason. I don't think the issue of penetrating walls would be a big deal because generally, the location that these radios would be used in the store are either outside or right on the other side of an exit door. I just don't see that being a big issue.
So, after looking in to MURS certified radios, I found the Dakota Alert M538-HT. It seems to be one of the only MURS certified handheld transceivers that I can find. Other than the Motorola RDM2020 (out of the given price range), can anyone find any other MURS Certified radios? Thanks again for all your amazing help!

Surpluradios

Premium Subscriber
I would not use any VHF radio indoors with thick walls. Your best bet is to purchase UHF business radios and get an FCC license. Why not do things the right way? The cost is not even that high and you will have the right tool for the job. I have seen indoor applications where they were using 5 watt VHF radios and they had major range issues. We switched them to UHF radios and had no problems at all. This was in a multi floor apartment complex. Most people purchase VHF radios to start because they are usually cheaper and plan on using license free frequencies only to find out they have issues later. VHF works great when used for the correct application, but based on your set up I would go UHF all the way and don’t waste your time or money on FRS radios for business.

Oz

kielhofer

Radios ready to go.

Thanks for the idea. That could work, except there are times that the radios would be used that we would need to use them on very short notice and maybe for just a few minutes at a time. Otherwise, that would work. I hadn't thought of that, though.

What you may want to do is find some hand held radios that have a battery pack that takes AA batteries. That way if you do need them on short notice you don't have to worry about if the radios are charged up all ready to go. Also you don't have to keep the radios in a charger all the time.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.