Should I Get A Home Weather Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
Yes... get one! I did the same several years ago... found a LaCrosse station identical to one I had at a previous home for $69 on closeout at Fleet Farm. Hard-wired it all together, connected it to a 'puter and put it on Weather Underground. So, wherever I am, at work, on vacation in AZ, I can see what the weather is at my house. Definitely a fun and worthwhile project!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILWAUCO4#history

That's very cool???
Which Lacrosse did you get ??
WA1ZUZO

JASII

Memory Capacity
Do most weather stations have an atomic synchronized clock?

relay99

Premium Subscriber
Long lasting enjoyment

I had a Davis Pro 2 that I replaced in 2014 that was 22yrs old that finally gave way to the elements. The contacts in the backup battery compartment turned green and corrosion took over. The solar panel plastic was so UV faded it couldn't be cleaned to charge battery but station was still working until battery died. You could say it was "Weathered"!
For all the years outdoors it served me flawlessly, accurately, was dependable and provided valuable data to log, especially during stormy or extreme weather events here at home. Weather stations can get pricey but I certainly got my money's worth!
I replaced it with another Davis unit but this time got the Vantage Vue. I've also had great luck with this station as I have only had to replace the battery one time since it got installed.
Many choices are now available and you may pay up a bit but in the long run it will be well worth it!

KB7MIB

The National Weather Service has both the Skywarn and Cooperative Observer programs, where if your weather station data can be made public, it can be added to your local climatological data, as well as the national data. The NWS's sister agencies can also make use of it, as can other agencies, such as emergency management and flood control districts.

There's also the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network that can use your data.

https://www.weather.gov/coop/

https://www.skywarn.org/

https://www.cocorahs.org/

John
Peoria, AZ

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Recently put up an Accurite 01512 wireless wx station, shows temp, humidity, barom, rain gauge, wind speed and direction, etc. $114 on Amazon, so far it works great.

Yeah, put one up, they're very useful.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Do most weather stations have an atomic synchronized clock?

I don't know of any... Actually, the clock in my Davis Vantage Pro isn't all that accurate. It loses a minute every few months. While there may be a case where millisecond accuracy is important, I can't see a need for it.

I record the data from the station on my computer. The computer syncs with an NTP server and obtains the correct time from the internet so the clock is always within a few seconds of WWV time.

twotoejoe

I've had a Davis Vantage Vue for a few years now. I've had to change the rain sensor board 3 times and now they won't sell me one I'll have to buy a new Sensor Suite. The anemometer has never recorded accurate wind speed. My roof feels like it's gonna blow away and it'll show 10 mph. There's no calibrating that either. About once a year I gotta climb onto the roof and change the battery in it. I'm getting the Pro next time.

Not sure about the Brand you own, but I was experiencing the same problem with the Accurite unit my children bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. When I called them to find out about the problem they advised me that my outside unit MUST be at least 30' about the ground to get an accurate wind speed reading. I didn't recall reading this anywhere in the ad for this unit; we placed it just outside on a post of our deck.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
my outside unit MUST be at least 30' about the ground to get an accurate wind speed reading.

Yes, for the best accuracy it has to be 30 feet above the ground and and there can't be anything that's the same height as the anemometer within 60 feet.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased two Midland WR120 weather radios about 4 years ago, one for the cabin and another for at home. They work very well. The antenna picks up the local NWS repeater and when the tones are set off at that tower like you hear on your regular FM radio station the Midland has a loud beep that will wake you up. Being I live out in the country and our lake cabin is rural, these work very well. It goes off for both severe weather watches and warnings. I would strongly recommend one, especially for summer/spring. I usually unplug it for winter. They are nice especially when sleeping for that piece of mind.

rs989

Premium Subscriber
I had a Davis Pro 2 that I replaced in 2014 that was 22yrs old that finally gave way to the elements. The contacts in the backup battery compartment turned green and corrosion took over. The solar panel plastic was so UV faded it couldn't be cleaned to charge battery but station was still working until battery died. You could say it was "Weathered"!
For all the years outdoors it served me flawlessly, accurately, was dependable and provided valuable data to log, especially during stormy or extreme weather events here at home. Weather stations can get pricey but I certainly got my money's worth!
I replaced it with another Davis unit but this time got the Vantage Vue. I've also had great luck with this station as I have only had to replace the battery one time since it got installed.
Many choices are now available and you may pay up a bit but in the long run it will be well worth it!

Had 2 weather Monitor 2's and they were built like a tank and still work after almost 30 years ago. The new crop of Vantage Pro 2' are basically a terrible version. I had to have the board in the case replaced, the link logger USB replaced twice and the anemometer on the roof failed last December and I havn't had a chance to climb to get it down. Luckily I still had an anemometer from the old Monitor 2 that is a temp fix until I can get it down and just can't wait to see what that is going to cost if it needs repair. Their tech support is awful with some techs telling very different answers to the same question. They are happy to take your money for out of warranty repairs but never fix the problem. My next weather station will not be a Davis one that's for sure. I sent in a complaint about the quality of their VPRo stations and never got a response.

I thought about filing a complaint to the California BBB but they are a joke too.

KD9KSO

I had a WX station many years ago. I forget the brand but it worked very well.

I'd probably buy another if I didn't have a local airport a mile away transmitting AWOS-3 information 24/7.

frankdrebbin

Not sure about the Brand you own, but I was experiencing the same problem with the Accurite unit my children bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. When I called them to find out about the problem they advised me that my outside unit MUST be at least 30' about the ground to get an accurate wind speed reading. I didn't recall reading this anywhere in the ad for this unit; we placed it just outside on a post of our deck.
I have it mounted on a 10' stick of aluminum conduit above my garage roof as far as I can. But my neighbor's huge maple trees cut its accuracy I'm sure. I have to live in the god forsaken city because my job requires it so I'm limited in where I can put this thing up at.

Status
Not open for further replies.